ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Morning Quarterback

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
First off anytime you beat your rival (UF/Miami) take it and move on. Most of the fans and experts had Florida State winning big. WHY? This was a much different Miami team than last year. They were 6-3 and at worst should have been 7-2 if not for a bone headed play in the final minutes of the GT game. Miami was not getting blown out. If you watched Miami this year their defense is much improved. Lance Guidry is about to get a major pay upgrade this off-season. Guidry is a coach that I believe that Taggart tried to hire or possibly even MN. He has some baggage off the field and that is why no one in the P5 ever signed him. Now that he has had success at Miami, Guidry will become a priority. He is an ELITE DC.

As for the game....The reason I had the game closer than most.

14-17 (down at halftime), 17-10 (BC), 14-17 (Clemson), 17-3 (Syracuse), 17-20 (Duke), 10-7 (Pitt)....these are some of the scores at halftime for FSU. While FSU jumped off to a 10-0 lead....FSU game vs. Miami was 10-10. I went to Miami Clemson game and felt that if Miami did not turn the ball over and FSU slows starts in 1st halves....That FSU would not blow Miami out this year. I did not think Miami could actually win but the game would be close...My prediction was 27-23....And I ended up close.

The Onside kick....I don't care if they worked on that in practice. I don't care how close they came from getting it. Miami is a team that is 6-3, does not have one advantage over you, WHY.....Why give them any shot at taking the lead and gaining confidence. Miami scores a TD instead of a FG and you may have Miami going for a winning FG at the end of the game instead of trying to win it with a TD....Was not a fan of the play call.

The safety...That was a terrible call by the refs......But fortunately did not have much impact on the game.....

Quarterback - Travis played well most of the game. He did have two bad decision on the sacks. He kept drifting on those plays....Wish he stepped up or slid to the side and got rid of the ball or taken sacks that did not put FSU offense is a major hole. Travis played well overall.

Running Backs - The reason you keep running is because you will eventually pop one...and that is what happened with Benson. He had the option run where he looked like he scored and then the run late in the game. Benson is a beast and will end up getting drafted early in the draft next year. Benson is a load when he knows the goal line is near...His first TD run.....Maurice Smith got Leonard Taylor to the ground. The rest of the run game....there was none.

Wide Receivers - Wilson had a real nice game...He has some moments where you get frustrated but Wilson does so many things on the field. He is a big part of FSU success on run plays. He makes keep grabs. He does not have great hands but he still caught 5 for 82....Keon Coleman is a beast....While he had only 24 yards....He drew a PI in the end-zone and caught a TD. Jakhi Douglas the past two games just made his NIL number go way up....I feel some other team is going to be rewarded by him next year. It would not shock me to see him hit the portal and get paid...FSU has plenty of options so I don't see them giving him top dollar. Bell had another solid performance at TE...Morlock had a key block on a run.

Offensive Line- on Benson first TD run....Smith had a great block. He plays well. Kid just can't stay healthy. The OL gave Travis time to throw most of the night. They did struggle on some of Miami blitzes which you will see more of that from other teams. Jeremiah Byers has really struggled....This line has never gelled all the way. They are not terrible but the OL is also not great.

Defensive Line - FSU defensive line had success against the run. They had some issues in the first half but in the second shut Miami down. I think Miami limitations in the passing game helped them be able to to defend Miami easier.

Linebackers - Deloach was a holdover from the prior staff so you really were not sure what his role would be.....But Deloach has played great. Believe he had two sacks. Deloach, Lundy and Bethune are a solid three....The question moving forward is who replaces these guys?

Defensive Backs- Akeem Dent -YES, Kevin Knowles - UGHH....He missed Jacoby George on one play in the first half and believe he was in on the late TD by Miami. I know this group played better but until this group plays an elite passing attack...me going to have concerns. I think there are holes in the back end of FSU defense that Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Ohio State and Georgia can all expose in the playoffs.

Special teams....This group gets overlooked - The punter for FSU has become a real weapon. Miami started five drives inside their own 20. Fitz has not had any issues on kicking field goals. Coleman had a huge punt return that may have helped FSU win the game.

Final Thoughts - 10-0, 10-0, 10-0....Winning in college football is not easy. Now with the portal I think you will see teams have 10-11 win seasons and the following year be lucky to be above .500. Roster management will be key. You look at USC and they have played one of the toughest schedules, along with having a poor offensive and overall defense and they will be lucky to be 8-4 after next week. I know their fans and others think Riley forgot to coach...That is stupid. The days of teams running off 10-11 win seasons every year for ten straight years are going to be over soon. You may not see to many unbeaten teams once the 12 team playoff starts. Enjoy this season as it is only going to get harder to have perfection. FSU is winning....how they do it does not matter. They are one of the top 5-10 teams in the country...PERIOD....

Recruiting News....Have heard good things about Jeremiah Smith. I feel FSU has a legit shot now of landing him. I am not going to put a forecast in for Smith but they are trending in the right direction. FSU is trying to land the top defensive back class in the country. They did just land Howard....Look for Xavier Lucas who is committed to Wisconsin to end up in FSU class. He is a very good safety prospect and you know that the Wisconsin head coach has a great eye for finding DB talent. Lucas is starting to trend FSU way. I was told to expect FSU to pull in another defensive lineman. LJ McCray did show up for a visit...so keep your fingers crossed as he would be one that FSU would like to flip....

POLLS...

1-UGA- Until someone beats them...UGA Is #1

2-Michigan - You realize they did not pass the ball in the second half and dominated. Michigan is the real deal.

3-FSU- FSU has continued to win....that is all that matters.

4-Washington- If not for their LB deciding to drop the ball on the one yard line going in for a TD....Washington would have not only shut Utah out in the 2nd half but won by double digits. Washington has now found a run game.

5-Oregon- They had an impressive win yesterday. This is not your typical Oregon team. They play like an SEC team.

6-Alabama - Bama vs. UGA in the SEC title game....It is going to be a great game.

7-Ohio State- Beat Michigan and then we can have a discussion. Until then this team is overrated...

8-Texas-I am not sold on Texas....They scored 3 points in the second half against TCU and had to hold on for a win.

9-Oregon State- This is a very good football team. They are good on offense and defense. They smoked a bad Stanford team.

10-Oklahoma- They steadied their ship yesterday....They are one of the better two loss teams in the country.

Best of the rest.....

Ole Miss
Penn State
Louisville
Missouri
LSU
Notre Dame
Kansas State
Tennessee

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT