ADVERTISEMENT

Tattoos on Women???

Getting a tattoo is what we in the field of psychology call attention seeking behavior. It's more socially acceptable than cutting your wrists the wrong way, but not much different psychologically. You can spin it if you like (free country), but body modification of any kind is pretty much saying what I was born with is not enough. Btw, several hot VS models have small tats, but almost all photographers will edit them out in post-production.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/9813...-about-thanks-to-photoshop-the-tiny-ink-trend

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
"Tattoo on the lower back? Might as well be a bullseye." ~ Wedding Crashers

Neal Boortz used to say he never saw a woman that looked better because she had a tattoo. I guess I'd have to agree. That said, my opinion has changed over the years. I think some ink can be done in a way that's tasteful, and it's not a turnoff.

We need a spinoff thread on piercings.

I like the instructional ones

tumblr_n7ivhju7sZ1qkr7qgo1_1280.jpg

Reactions: Fsuwarpath10
I was not a big fan of tattoos. In most cases when they are overpowering, obvious and visible, but small discrete ones are ok.

When I first met my wife, she had a Seminole spear on one of her beautiful, dainty, little feet. I immediately fell in love. Hers I like very much. I'm not turned off by anything on or about her. Quite the opposite.

Last week, I went to see my physician at the UCLA hospital in Santa Monica. I noticed that everybody working the front desk had visible sleeve tattoos and that all of the nurses had at least one visible tattoo, as well. Even my physician had a very impressive series of tattoos on her arm that were clearly visible.

I know that several of the doctors in my clinic have extensive tattoos, including the director of psychiatry and the director of clinical services. My girlfriend is an administrator in a prestigious private hospital in Los Angeles, and her sister is a teacher in a prestigious elementary school in Palo Alto. Both have extensive tattoos, and neither have had any problems professionally or socially due to their artwork.

Don't trust your gf with your checkbook.

Reactions: straightarrow
Getting a tattoo is what we in the field of psychology call attention seeking behavior. It's more socially acceptable than cutting your wrists the wrong way, but not much different psychologically. You can spin it if you like (free country), but body modification of any kind is pretty much saying what I was born with is not enough. Btw, several hot VS models have small tats, but almost all photographers will edit them out in post-production.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/9813...-about-thanks-to-photoshop-the-tiny-ink-trend

For each their own! A person who cares about what another person does with their own body that's not hurting themselves or spewing hate needs help. Tats aren't for me and if my daughter gets one I hope it's obscure and limited ... but it's totally her choice.

Saying that a tat is admitting a deficiency in your own body is crazy talk. However, it seems most in the psych field needed help from that profession (UCLA ;) ) "We in the field..." ... riiiight. I hope you are lying or don't charge.

I mostly perceive it to be trashy and indicative of lack of education/low ses background. Though, this can be overcome given other variables.

I have dated many women with tattoos. They flowed along to the more Austinite-type sect and had specific hobbies that were associated with such stuff. E.g. One girl was a lead singer in an original rock band. Several were artists of varying types. They've all mostly had PhDs or other sorts of similar education levels.

But, In other settings, it's different. For example, my wife and I are about to have a second child. We were reviewing daycares the other day. We walked into one in which a very high percentage of employees had visible and poorly done tattoos. They also spoke poorly, the combination of which screamed trailer park resident.

I do acknowledge in certain segments of the population, a tatoo, lots of visible tattoos and piercings, etc... Means something different at present. E.g., one of my collaborators is a physicist at Johns Hopkins. He has lots of tats and piercings. He's British, he's got a doctoral degree from Cambridge. So sure, he's not going to suffer in any way. He can be as "different" as he wishes because he has a unique skillset and is substantially smarter than the average human. But, these are pockets of existence that the usual person doesn't comprehend or interact with.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTM58
No, we most certainly don't characterize tattoos (or wrist cutting) in this manner.

Depends where. I agree, I wouldn't uniformly characterize it as attention seeking.

And, there are data demonstrating linkages between tattoos and emotional problems.

I never really left, and I am not really back. I have just become much, much more busy in the last 3-4 years. I do appreciate the warm wishes though.

The problem with tattoo's is what you think is cool now won't likely be ten years from now. There are enough natural attractive features on females without some damn unicorn, dolphin or flower cluttering up things. Funniest pic I ever saw was some TC member getting one of Bobby Bowden on his thigh and then posing for a pic with a horrified Bowden looking on in the background. Hilarious!

I think its a turn off when you see a woman at a wedding all dressed up with tats showing.

If elected, the only neck tat I will allow will read, "Do Not Hire"

I never got a tat, by the time I'm that drunk, I'm always broke.

I wonder if tats are a trend that will fall off over time when those of a certain age group lose interest or if the tats are in a location on the body that doesn't age well, especially on females.
Recently a young man who applied for a job on our company maintenance staff - qualified and polite - was not hired because he had full sleeves on his arms and the company President thought that upscale clientele we work with would be put off by having him on staff. I thought it was unfair, because we have a few 30 something women who have tattoos on their upper arms or on their ankles and they occasionally wear sleeveless shirts or dresses and they interface with clients.

My son has a very small tattoo of his fraternity letters on his ankle he got while (drunk)in PC over spring break and he regrets it. Daughter has none and doesn't understand the women who do have them.
I never dreamed of having a tattoo, no one in my age group or social circle did either, and I always thought they were exclusive to sailors who wanted to show they had seen the world.
Times change and so do the parameters of social mores- and they'll change again.

I wonder if tats are a trend that will fall off over time when those of a certain age group lose interest or if the tats are in a location on the body that doesn't age well, especially on females.
Recently a young man who applied for a job on our company maintenance staff - qualified and polite - was not hired because he had full sleeves on his arms and the company President thought that upscale clientele we work with would be put off by having him on staff. I thought it was unfair, because we have a few 30 something women who have tattoos on their upper arms or on their ankles and they occasionally wear sleeveless shirts or dresses and they interface with clients.

My son has a very small tattoo of his fraternity letters on his ankle he got while (drunk)in PC over spring break and he regrets it. Daughter has none and doesn't understand the women who do have them.
I never dreamed of having a tattoo, no one in my age group or social circle did either, and I always thought they were exclusive to sailors who wanted to show they had seen the world.
Times change and so do the parameters of social mores- and they'll change again.

They are door-closers in many circumstances. There are people who will not hire you, have a relationship with you, treat you fairly, etc. I am not saying that is right, but it's a reality. And never mind how these things may look in 20-30-40 years.

You never put a bumper sticker on a Rolls Royce. And you never put a tattoo on your body. You can, of course, but realize that many people will draw conclusions about you based on same -- fairly or unfairly.

I always thought they were exclusive to sailors who wanted to show they had seen the world.
Vanessa: But did you use protection?
Austin: Of course. I had my 9mm automatic.
Vanessa: You know I meant did you use a condom?
Austin: Ha ha ha. Only sailors use condoms, baby.
Vanessa: Not in the nineties, Austin.
Austin: Well, they should, those filthy buggars. They go from port to port.

Went to Flounders with a friend last went, our very pretty waitress had a tattoo on her arm..........I really wanted to find out if she had any others.

The best tattoo I have ever seen on a woman was on a girl I worked with in college. It was the typical situation where we both had significant others, but worked together all year summer and decided to hit the town on of the last nights of work before school started. She was clean cut, and had the good girl vibe, but when I got her naked in the shower she had a tattoo of a snake that ran along her two butt cheeks. She told me only a special few got to see it, and even knew about it. Best tattoo I have ever seen.

The best tattoo I have ever seen on a woman was on a girl I worked with in college. It was the typical situation where we both had significant others, but worked together all year summer and decided to hit the town on of the last nights of work before school started. She was clean cut, and had the good girl vibe, but when I got her naked in the shower she had a tattoo of a snake that ran along her two butt cheeks. She told me only a special few got to see it, and even knew about it. Best tattoo I have ever seen.

Vertically or horizontally? One snake, split vertically would be all sorts of weird.

Vertically or horizontally? One snake, split vertically would be all sorts of weird.
It was not all that big but started on the left cheek, ran up above the crack and onto the right cheek. I had a good view of it for a solid 45 minutes, and it was pretty good work. It was positioned perfectly so she could wear a pretty tiny bikini and you could not tell she had a tattoo.

Not a fan of them on women. When I see young women with a ton of them on up their arms and neck, I wonder what the tats are going to look like when they are 80.
If you're hanging out with a gal at 80, it ain't for her looks. Same for guys I suppose.

Reactions: goldmom
I just got back from a Disney cruise where I repeatedly kept seeing this 50-55ish grandma sporting large angel wings on her back. It probably looked awesome in 1996. In 2016, it was not a good look...

But overall, I don't mind tattoos if they are not overwhelming. I am more put off by a very pretty woman who inexplicably ruins the beauty of her face with multiple piercings of ears, cheek, eyebrows and/or nose.

Reactions: goldmom
I just got back from a Disney cruise where I repeatedly kept seeing this 50-55ish grandma sporting large angel wings on her back. It probably looked awesome in 1996. In 2016, it was not a good look...

But overall, I don't mind tattoos if they are not overwhelming. I am more put off by a very pretty woman who inexplicably ruins the beauty of her face with multiple piercings of ears, cheek, eyebrows and/or nose.

Interesting. I'm not about piercings at all, especially multiple ones, but I would say there are some rare instances when I think a nose or lip piercing adds a little hotness. I don't think I've ever thought that a tattoo made a woman hotter than she'd be without it, at best it doesn't meaningfully detract.

My wife has a few, my right arm is coverd so I like them, but I don't like face tattoos that's a bit much but to each is their own really.

I refuse to date a woman with a visible tattoo or nose piercing. That doesn't mean I won't let them ride Space Mountain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT