ADVERTISEMENT

The American Airlines-US Air Merger

hatsbo

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Really sucks big time! I was a Gold Elite with US Air for around 7-8 years and I've yet to see anything of redeeming value about this merger. No 5000 mile rebate on reward flights, and a lot less available flights on 12500 legs than USAir was. Fewer 1st class upgrades and it seems like you have to figure out when you receive one, not getting notified. Not getting the TSA precheck the last couple flights. My normal flight times, days and duration of stay are all f'd up, all for the worst. Flight cost seems to have gone up 100-200 a flight. I fly to Tally monthly and fly to other areas maybe 3-4 times a year. The US air credit card is now replaced by the AA card. Had a hard time logging in and missed my payment, and they were going to hit me with the late fee and the interest charge, 165 total. Thankfully I called in and they waved that, so I stand corrected, one good thing has resulted from the merger, lol. Any Delta, United or Continental flyers out there? Thought even of SW from Richmond to Jax and driving over but their fares aren't any cheaper than AA out of RIC.

All I know is that I bought AA stock for $2 something a share just as they were ready to belly up and sold it in the $40's. $$$$$

Seriously airfares right now are just stupid. Trying to find a bargain for a five day getaway to anywhere the temperature is moderate for this time of year is a joke.

Reactions: BillWesJay
US had the best availability of 12500 legs out of all the legacy carriers.

Continental is gone too. I was silver/gold elite with them years ago.

Really sucks big time! I was a Gold Elite with US Air for around 7-8 years and I've yet to see anything of redeeming value about this merger. No 5000 mile rebate on reward flights, and a lot less available flights on 12500 legs than USAir was. Fewer 1st class upgrades and it seems like you have to figure out when you receive one, not getting notified. Not getting the TSA precheck the last couple flights. My normal flight times, days and duration of stay are all f'd up, all for the worst. Flight cost seems to have gone up 100-200 a flight. I fly to Tally monthly and fly to other areas maybe 3-4 times a year. The US air credit card is now replaced by the AA card. Had a hard time logging in and missed my payment, and they were going to hit me with the late fee and the interest charge, 165 total. Thankfully I called in and they waved that, so I stand corrected, one good thing has resulted from the merger, lol. Any Delta, United or Continental flyers out there? Thought even of SW from Richmond to Jax and driving over but their fares aren't any cheaper than AA out of RIC.

Feel your pain. The whole industry is a sewer. Can't think of any other non-government enterprise in which customers get shoddier treatment. I now do cartwheels to avoid flying, and get on a plane only when no other option is feasible. Planes are absolutely filthy, and the "schedule" is more like a "loose approximation."

US had the best availability of 12,500 availability, but AA isn't that far behind. You also failed to mention how (Unless it changed towards the end) that US Air did not offer one way redemptions. They also retained the mileage based earning system, which I prefer. Also, AA's reward chart is so much better. 20k to Europe? 25k to Asia?

Maybe flights have gotten more expensive where you are, or on the exact days you want, but rates have gone down, and American has been AGGRESSIVE at Delta hubs, and Delta very Aggressive at American Hubs. I think this is good. It's why I can go to LA from Atlanta for 157 on American. Or, I can go to Dubai for 600 on Delta from Chicago. In addition, because of the merger, you can open up a AAdvantage Credit Card and still get the bonus miles to add to your US Airways balance.

I will say though, that going to Tallahassee has gotten more expensive on AA/US Air when you connect through CLT. I think that is more a product of them losing money on the cheap routes they had, rather than the merger.

Feel your pain. The whole industry is a sewer. Can't think of any other non-government enterprise in which customers get shoddier treatment. I now do cartwheels to avoid flying, and get on a plane only when no other option is feasible. Planes are absolutely filthy, and the "schedule" is more like a "loose approximation."
When you think about the logistics involved, the unpredictability of weather and all the things that can go wrong, I think airlines do a pretty good job overall.
I fly United almost exclusively and have been impressed with their attempts to improve customer service. Wifi on most of the domestic flights, free movies and entertainment on your mobile devices, etc. Not perfect but trying.

When you think about the logistics involved, the unpredictability of weather and all the things that can go wrong, I think airlines do a pretty good job overall.
I fly United almost exclusively and have been impressed with their attempts to improve customer service. Wifi on most of the domestic flights, free movies and entertainment on your mobile devices, etc. Not perfect but trying.

Been flying for 40+ years, and all I know is that the experience is now miserable compared to way-back-when. Planes are filthy, and the customer base is what used to "go Greyhound." "Customer service" is poor because the airlines cannot afford to hire the requisite number of qualified people to deal with today's masses.

I guess it depends if you're flying enough to have some level of status.

If suppose if you're flying a few times a year and crammed in back and paying for checked bags, etc., then it could be less than pleasurable.

I fly a lot, mostly international. Star alliance has me by the balls, but I do like most of the partners and I try to avoid actual united flights, and any US carrier for that matter. International airlines are much better than ours, it's really sad.

Reactions: ncnole1975
Flew on the merged airline this week. They still have long way to go. Their service sucks. I also hate flying through Miami on American. They lost our bags again. Well not so much lost as didn't put them in the plane.

We flew out of Tallahassee to Boston on US Airways and back on American. Both times they didn't have my TSA PreCheck on the ticket even though it is in my account on both websites.

I guess it depends if you're flying enough to have some level of status.

If suppose if you're flying a few times a year and crammed in back and paying for checked bags, etc., then it could be less than pleasurable.

I think it also depends on your standard of living. Once you get used to certain amenities, traveling even with all available "status" is pretty poor. Some folks, however, view their "status" as an upgrade over what they get at home.

I think it also depends on your standard of living. Once you get used to certain amenities, traveling even with all available "status" is pretty poor. Some folks, however, view their "status" as an upgrade over what they get at home.

I don't know anyone who views airline status as some sort of upgrade over what they have at home. It's still commercial air travel, a necessary evil. You just have to try to make the best of it.

Fly Delta a couple of times a year and love them. With their app I can track my bags in real time, Their AMEX picks me up a heavily discounted flight per year. And I have never had an issue when I have had to call the 1-800 number.

Growing up in the Dallas area, I always had my preferences for either American or Southwest. Since both are based there, you have a ton of flights to choose from. I have the Citibank AAdvantage American Express and it gets me a free checked bag for everyone on my itinerary and some other perks.That being said, American has slipped from where they used to be.

Continental was always a back up and I liked them. I have never cared for Delta or United. My good experiences with both are few and far between.

US had the best availability of 12,500 availability, but AA isn't that far behind. You also failed to mention how (Unless it changed towards the end) that US Air did not offer one way redemptions. They also retained the mileage based earning system, which I prefer. Also, AA's reward chart is so much better. 20k to Europe? 25k to Asia?

Maybe flights have gotten more expensive where you are, or on the exact days you want, but rates have gone down, and American has been AGGRESSIVE at Delta hubs, and Delta very Aggressive at American Hubs. I think this is good. It's why I can go to LA from Atlanta for 157 on American. Or, I can go to Dubai for 600 on Delta from Chicago. In addition, because of the merger, you can open up a AAdvantage Credit Card and still get the bonus miles to add to your US Airways balance.

I will say though, that going to Tallahassee has gotten more expensive on AA/US Air when you connect through CLT. I think that is more a product of them losing money on the cheap routes they had, rather than the merger.
Bav, I heard about the one way redemptions, that will be a helpful option. Priced Flights from RIC and CHO to TLH over the weekend and AA came in cheaper than both Delta and UA so looks like I'll stay put for now and try to figure out AA's weaknesses, if they have any, lol.

US airlines are essentially an oligopoly, so it isn't that surprising that prices have increased while service has decreased. I hate the current nickel and dime culture of the airlines. There's so much I could go into about the ways I feel that airlines fail, but I do not feel like ranting at this time.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
I have American status and have been flying some on US Air while the merger has been ongoing. I think I like them about the same. I did like the fact that U.S. Air notified you on the upgrades. I think the chance to get upgraded will be much less as there are so many more elite customers now. Only thing I really don't like is they kept the U.S. Air gates in Orlando which is where I fly from. That side is so much busier although precheck still makes it pretty simple. The one thing I will be interested in is how many of the hubs from each will they keep. I cannot see them keeping them all.

I Commute from ATL, almost exclusively Delta… Platinum already this year.

Last year 99 on Delta 1 on Southwest, 46 segments this year so far. I get to book all my travel; air, rental and hotel, most on a day's notice so cheap one-way flights are not readily available. I do my diligence to compare flight prices (Travelocity, SW, AA/USair) based on my need to be there. I find Southwest and Delta are pretty much the same cost for similar routes, but I can't deal with the general admission cattle call concept with SW.

I find the same with American/USair it either takes 8 hours of travel and a connection, or I can get there in 90 minutes on Delta. Last week flew to/from RDU, $472 out $654 back. Looked at AA/USair $336 a connection in CLT and 6 hours to get there, but I lose a day of work. The return on AA/USair $718 RDU-MIA-ATL 7 hours.

Status is now the key, if you don't fly a lot (spend a lot of money) your just another pleeb on the air-bus. My credit card really helps with status. I pay $450 a year for the Delta Reserve Amex, it gets me a number of benefits to make it worth the annual fee. LDW on my rental cars up to $40k in value; access to Delta SkyClub, a $350 dollar membership; an additional free bag, I get three; 15000 miles + 15000 MQM bonus for 1st $30k spent; then the same bonus when hitting $60 spent for the year; 2 for 1 ticket yearly for renewing the card, I gave the last two of those away; 1 mile for every dollar spent, 2 miles for every dollar spent on Delta airfare.

Delta enrolled a number of their flyers into TsaPre Check for the pilot and roll out the other year, then suddenly this year in the first quarter it stopped. I figure Homeland Security was wanting some revenue, the $85/5 years was well spent. I just wish Delta would have given a heads up the free TSAPre Check was going to end.

Does anyone else work from home and fly wherever to do their work?

Delta enrolled a number of their flyers into TsaPre Check for the pilot and roll out the other year, then suddenly this year in the first quarter it stopped. I figure Homeland Security was wanting some revenue, the $85/5 years was well spent. I just wish Delta would have given a heads up the free TSAPre Check was going to end.

Does anyone else work from home and fly wherever to do their work?

Our national sales manager who is on road for 40+ weeks a year and is Delta top 1%, whatever they call that, said same about TSA precheck. It was all over the news that TSA was tightening that up. I just don't understand why they were giving that away anyway. I enrolled and it took a whopping total of 15 minutes to enroll. It is the best time and money I have ever spent.

I agree that it all depends where you are flying from and to most that decides what airline you should be loyal to. It would make no sense for a flyer in ATL to fly anything other than Delta unless all your business was in another city that was a hub of another major airline. I fly from Orlando, so I am going to fly through somewhere anyway. Since I am an AA guy, the merger really opened up the east coast for me. No more flying through DFW or MIA to go to northeast or midwest. Now I can go through Charlotte and that takes hours off the trip.

I live in Atlanta, and unless I am flying domestically, for business, I will opt for American / OneWorld.
Moody’s estimates U.S. airlines will spend $15 billion less on fuel in 2015 relative to 2014, net of hedging.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/...ging-that-airlines-are-fixing-airfaresa.html/
I love that they've passed these savings along to us in the form of higher prices. Bravo airlines, bravo.
If I wasn't so satiated by Biscoff cookies and unsalted peanuts, I'd riot.

From Forbes

"
Despite the $18 billion in net profits racked up by U.S. airlines in 2013 and 2014, the industry still shows a large net loss over its history. In the 2000s alone, the US industry posted losses totaling nearly $60 billion. And though the average fare price paid today is up 13 percent on an inflation adjusted basis vs. 2009, today’s average fare price remains almost 20 percent lower than what it was in 1975. Even after adding the $15 billion in additional revenue that the big U.S. carriers took in last year by selling services (bag fees, seat selection fees, ticket change fees, etc.) that used to be included in the price of a ticket today’s average fare remains lower than the average fare in 1975.

Furthermore, on a net margin basis, the industry still is a below-average performer, which will make it near-impossible for the government to convince anyone that the airlines are doing anything wrong. (If they are cheating, they’re doing a pretty mediocre job of it.)"

When the airlines lose money, you don't want the government bailing them out. When they make money, they must be colluding.

And, as to the four carriers they allege to be colluding, I guess no one cares about Frontier, Spirit, Jet Blue, Allegiant, Virgin America, Alaska? (Of which, most 4 of them fly to DFW)

@Bav803 if they're colluding they're colluding. It's irrelevant how well or poorly they've done as a result.
The onus will be on the justice department to prove it.

And, as to the four carriers they allege to be colluding, I guess no one cares about Frontier, Spirit, Jet Blue, Allegiant, Virgin America, Alaska? (Of which, most 4 of them fly to DFW)

I think the collusion accusations are there simply because of the past. I know American's CEO back in the day got nailed for it.

I travel for work and I am gone 3 -4 weeks a month. I spent the money on global entry and it has easily saved me 40 hours of waiting in security and customs lines coming back into the U.S. This year alone.

Status is needed to fly on any airline. I hate how deltas status program is now. The whole spend and miles flown are ridiculous.

I have status on delta, American, and jet blue. American is fairly decent in the upgrade category for me at least. Delta remains to be seen.

I work from home and fly to meetings pretty frequently. Since I love in Ohio right on the Michigan border I fly out of Detroit (DTW) which is a great airport IMO. I fly Delta 99% of the time unless they are double the price of United to Newark or other NYC airports. Though I won't fly into LGA.

I have never had any trouble with Delta in the last year. I missed status by 2k miles last year because I started working from home in July with new company (Anthem) and Delta wanted 800 bucks to buy up. In retrospect I should have done because by time you pay for seat upgrades it evens out.

I hate American Airlines and I enjoy United because you can get cheap upgrades to first.

I also did Global entry for the $100 and my company reimbursed me. It's $15 more than pre-check but it gives you global privledges when coming or going overseas. Had I not been reimbursed I still would have done it

Thanks for finding that Bav. Air travel is so cheap today. People take everything for granted these days.

On a happy airline note, American delayed our 2 out of 3 if our bags on arrival. They were sitting in Miami even though we had plenty of time between connections.

So of course, call, report, wait. We arrived at 11 am and did get a call about them until 10:30 PM that night and they were delivered at 12 am.

Filed a refund claim. Not an easy task mind you trying to find were that was on the website. Filed for $50 and 2 days later they paid me $75. Who is to argue with that?

I had accrued about 68,000 FF miles with USAir from back when I was doing a lot of traveling with work. I haven't been flying much at all lately, and last year I had to pay something like $12 to keep my miles. OK. Well, I'm always getting so much BS promotional crap/credit card pitches through both email and snail mail since their merger with AA that I don't even pay that much attention to it all. About a month ago I had a lot of stuff going on and let a bunch of emails pile up before going through them. Well, one of those was a notice from AA to either use, buy, or donate some of those 68k miles or lose them. By the time I got to it, it was two days too late. I called and tried to explain that their notice window was really quite short (much shorter than is required by CC companies sending you a bill), that I didn't receive a hard copy/snail mail notice, and that they seemed quite eager to confiscate my miles. The lady said the fee would be $150 to reinstate the 68k miles but she could get it down to $100. I said that was ridiculous and didn't do it, but I'm not sure if I made the right decision or not. On one hand it seems like FF miles are so easy to come by (35-50k for signing up for some credit cards - though are those miles qualified differently than ones earned by actually flying?). On the other hand, last time I checked, 68k miles was enough for some off season trips to Europe. Did I make the right decision?

I had accrued about 68,000 FF miles with USAir from back when I was doing a lot of traveling with work. I haven't been flying much at all lately, and last year I had to pay something like $12 to keep my miles. OK. Well, I'm always getting so much BS promotional crap/credit card pitches through both email and snail mail since their merger with AA that I don't even pay that much attention to it all. About a month ago I had a lot of stuff going on and let a bunch of emails pile up before going through them. Well, one of those was a notice from AA to either use, buy, or donate some of those 68k miles or lose them. By the time I got to it, it was two days too late. I called and tried to explain that their notice window was really quite short (much shorter than is required by CC companies sending you a bill), that I didn't receive a hard copy/snail mail notice, and that they seemed quite eager to confiscate my miles. The lady said the fee would be $150 to reinstate the 68k miles but she could get it down to $100. I said that was ridiculous and didn't do it, but I'm not sure if I made the right decision or not. On one hand it seems like FF miles are so easy to come by (35-50k for signing up for some credit cards - though are those miles qualified differently than ones earned by actually flying?). On the other hand, last time I checked, 68k miles was enough for some off season trips to Europe. Did I make the right decision?
You should have done it for the $100. Miles are going to get harder to come by.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Yeah, I'm wondering whether I should call them back or not. I did write an email complaining about their short notice... and they sent back a form email that they appreciated the feedback and it was under review "blah, blah blah," but I know it just went in the "circular file."

I also see the other thread about Discover taking away some of the benefits their card had promised, and I just don't know if this isn't becoming more widespread and if I'd be throwing good money after bad just to get those miles back. Hmmm...

68000 miles can get you a round trip ticket to Europe (Off Season) and a round trip anywhere in the US.

Yeah, that's worth 100 bucks.

If you aren't signing up for a new mileage bonus credit card every year, you're being silly.

There's no reason not to accumulate 40-100k miles for doing nothing every year (or a couple times a year if you like to carry more than one credit card).

I refuse to carry more than two personal credit cards (1 amex and 1 visa/mc) and I get a new one just before I get charged the annual fee every year. Not only do I rarely pay an annual fee, I pile up an additional 50-100k miles twice a year.

Keeping a card for a second year, paying an annual fee and not getting a lump sum mile bonus is the ultimate sucker move.

I've traveled every week for work for the past 12 years. The last 7 years have been largely out of MCO on Delta. Diamond makes it about 80% to 90% chance of being upgraded but I largely avoid connecting through Atlanta at all costs. Most of my work is in NYC so flying lots of directs to LGA and some connections through Detroit. Even with Diamond I never, ever get upgraded to LAX.

I thought US Airways was one of the worst airlines I had ever flown but a buddy, who was Chairman, really liked them. They use to push their Credit Card hard and it felt just like the stewardesses never cared. When I lived in Chicago I liked American but rarely got upgraded. American's upgrade policy at the time was a joke and I never understood why they would fly first with open seats when you had folks with status sitting in coach.

As the airlines continue to consolidate you'll be competing with more and more folks that fly international twice a month or cross country every week and you won't be able to match their status. It will mean less upgrades and less flexibility. It will continue to happen unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT