ADVERTISEMENT

The Backstory on Jimbo (that DOT can't tell)

1zeus

Contributor
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2002
First, I preface this by saying DOT will not be able to be as frank as I am going to be. FSU screwed up big time on the Jimbo deal. Ira's article about missing Bonasorte was dead on. Thrasher is the only thing holding FSU together right now! Miller and the AD need to go! The problem was we had a coach who truly believed FSU should be the best football program bar none. We have everything in place except for the commitment from Boosters. Jimbo was not asking for money for himself. He wanted money to bring in big time assistants. Watch who he is going to bring with him, it will be very telling. Jimbo was not allowed to get rid of some coaches because of certain relationships on the board of the Boosters. Jimbo had to run all of the position meetings because he did not have the coaches who could handle it to his level of expectations!

Our football program is not even in the top 50 for salaries. Jimbo wanted FSU to have all of the behind the scenes people to make the program successful. We could not even keep a nutritionist who wanted to stay and was barely making $50,000. Our facilities are a complete joke. Doak needs desperate repairs that is going to take astronomical numbers to fix. The Boosters answer was to build the Champions Club and hope that was going to generate money. They also invested in restaurants and apartments they can not sell. Jimbo wanted them to invest in the football program that would generate all the money FSU would need, The football only facility is simple, the metrics are clear; we waist at least 40 to 50 minutes a day getting players to and from places. The football facility keeps players eligible and out of trouble. It is about control. They can have meetings, tutors, etc all in one place.

Now for the Boosters. Miller has to go. He has stayed about 20 years to long. FSU has plenty of big dollar Booster"s that can right big checks, but they do not want to deal with the clown show. We have a lot of Miller's buddies on the board with no real experience in running something this large. The younger alumni who have built businesses do not want to be bothered. We have some very young people involved in the Boosters that are more than capable to right the ship, but they need to be given the chance.

Jimbo did not want to leave and Thrasher did not want him to either. Ego's won out on this and for the wrong reasons. Some people did not like what Jimbo was telling them and they want to keep their Booster toy all to themselves.Listen to what the other programs are saying about us letting Fisher go, they can't believe it!

Now, we are still an excellent program and we will be fine. But, we need to look in the mirror really quick and decide if we want to be on top of the mountain or like Florida. We have a lot of interest from some very big names (even NFL) because of the tradition and the inherent advantages FSU has of being in a recruitment rich state. Believe me I love FSU, and I rarely post. However, the mob mentality on the board about solely blaming Jimbo and turning on him is completely unfair. Thankfully we have Thrasher, but when all this calms down some serious soul searching will need to be done. I can go on, but I am sure it is too long already. Will be interested to see Dot's comments. Go Noles! By the way watch what Jimbo does with Cook at A&M.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News