ADVERTISEMENT

The Day after....

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
It has been two days later. I did not get to re-watch the game until this morning. This just in, FSU is a really good football team. We can sit there and say well this team was missing a player, or that team did not have their starting quarterback. I am one that does not like to make excuse for a win or a loss. Some will blame the refs at times. The reality is over a season or a game those types of things work themselves out. All FSU can do is play the teams on their schedule and take care of business. I felt that FSU could win 7 games this year maybe 8 if EVERYTHING went their way. They are on the verge of winning 9 games. Bad or average teams don't find ways to win 9 games. FSU has an identity on offense and you can rely on that each week and that is one of the best rushing attacks in the country. The defense has now settled in as one of the better ones in the ACC as well.

Now....the breakdown of the game.

Quarterback - Travis was not needed in this game. FSU rushing attack set the tone early with a touchdown run by Ward. That being said Travis did get off to a slow start. He settled in and got better as the game moved along. For FSU to win on Friday they need Travis to play like has against Miami, GT and Syracuse. If Travis comes out like he did this past weakened they could rely on the run game to win but it could make the game uncomfortable.

Running Backs - Trey Benson has established himself as the top back on the roster. There is no longer a debate about this. Benson is quickly moving up the ranks of all-time greats at FSU. If he has a great game against UF it would not surprise me to see him opt out of the bowl game and take his talents to the NFL. Backs don't have a ton of carries in their bodies and Benson has already had a bad injury in college. Treshaun Ward - It was nice to see him get back out there after injuring his shoulder. 4 rushes for 37 yards and two touchdowns is pretty good production. The rest of the backfield also ran well. This team is a run 1st offense.

Wide Receivers - It was nice to see Malik McClain have a great touchdown grab. He is a kid I feel could have a break out season in 2023. He needs to be patient and realize his time is coming. Poitier continues to create matchup problems. He is another player that should have a break out season in 2023. I think it is time for Ron Dugans to get a little credit. Many wanted him gone and this group has improved this season.

Tight Ends- Cam McDonald had one nice catch but he continues to improve his overall game. The rest of the tight end room needs to improve. One idea - If Johnny Wilson comes back, I would consider putting some weight on him and having Wilson end up playing tight end. With Hykeem Williams coming in you will have a bigger receiver on the outside as well as Poitier. Put Wilson at tight end and you could have a very athletic tight end who can open up the middle of the field for you.

Offensive Line- Once again these guys played very well. They opened holes in the run game and Travis had time to throw. FSU also got some of the backups once again reps. Those reps are so crucial to FSU success in years to come.

Defensive Line - The defensive line did their job. Nice to see Amari Gainer make some plays. Verse added to his sack total. Briggs made a few plays. Overall this group is going to have to play better next week as the opponent gets much better.

Linebackers - I saw DJ Lundy get in the action early on. I forgot the kid was even on the team. It is usually Deloach or Bethune. DJ actually played well. DeLoach is quickly becoming an All-Conference type backer. He is going to be on some early list next year for All-ACC honors. That is crazy when you think about that as he was not very good early on. I remember seeing him at a UCF camp and thinking is this kid a big time player. He has turned himself into a very good player.

Defensive Backs- Jammie Robinson seemed to play pretty well. I saw him make at least one play behind the line of scrimmage. This group is going to have to play well this week as Anthony Richardson starts to run, it is going to create some passing opportunities against FSU secondary. What is crazy is how few turnovers this group makes. They did not have an interception again. These guys are going to have to make game changing plays this weekend.

Final Thoughts: I know UF lost to Vandy and they are 6-5 heading into Rivalry Week. That being said this team is good enough to beat FSU if they don't play their A or B+ game. I feel that the Gators are going to put an emphasis on stopping the run. Their run defense is not great but I still expect them to bring extra guys in the box. This is a game that the other team is going to force FSU to pass to win. Those open shots down the field....Travis must hit and make the Gators defense pay. If he has an off day, the Gators have an s hot to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News