ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 World Cup Thread...

I also will not watch an all-spuds final. There will be no enjoyment in it at all.

When I started watching soccer regularly it was because of the 2006 WC. I was impressed because of the passion people I worked with had for their countries. I worked with a lot of people from around the globe. At first I thought it was country over club.... and I still think that is the case for countries that do not have the top leagues. For example, Brazil, Argentina, Latin American countries and African countries.

However, let’s look at England. A post like the above from Les and others seem to be consistent of people who are from England. Sure they will pull for the three lions but it’s not the same for them if MU, Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, etc are playing. Their club comes first.

It’s an interesting dynamic. For me I’d say Atlanta United and USA is pretty neck and neck. I’d be pulling for USA like none other but just in a different way (than I do for ATL UTD). I could only imagine if MLS was top 5. The club vs country is an interesting dynamic.

Am I wrong on any of this rambling?

Last edited:
Where is the dislike button. If this happens I will be happy I am headed to the Atlanta United game & won't be able to watch. I won't even both recording the game either.

Les, you know that the 5 Stripes are letting season ticket holders in early to watch on the big board, right?

When I started watching soccer regularly it was because of the 2006 WC. I was impressed because of the passion people I worked with had for their countries. I worked with a lot of people from around the globe. At first I thought it was country over club.... and I still think that is the case for countries that do not have the top leagues. For example, Brazil, Argentina, Latin American countries and African countries.

However, let’s look at England. A post like the above from Les and others seem to be consistent of people who are from England. Sure they will pull for the three lions but it’s not the same for them if MU, Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, etc are playing. Their club comes first.

It’s an interesting dynamic. For me I’d say Atlanta United is a above USA, because they are local. Meanwhile I’d be pulling for USA like none other but just in a different way. I could only imagine if MLS was top 5. The club vs country is an interesting dynamic.

It's like this. I didn't watch when the US Women's team was so good in the past, because their talisman was a gay Gator. Deal killer for me.

It’s an interesting dynamic. For me I’d say Atlanta United is a above USA, because they are local. Meanwhile I’d be pulling for USA like none other but just in a different way. I could only imagine if MLS was top 5. The club vs country is an interesting dynamic.

I think it's a matter of year round investment. Some folks, like Les, have weekly appointments in front of a screen (computer or TV) with their clubs and no patriotic affiliation (apologies if a misstep) with the countries at hand. Some will cheer for their club, and if there's a country with a handful of said club players on their side, that's where the affiliation will go.

I've grown up in the free agency period of sports, so club affiliation is neat, but it's country over club for me. Just wish there were more stringent policies as to who can play for which country. See, Fernandes for Russia.

I think it's a matter of year round investment. Some folks, like Les, have weekly appointments in front of a screen (computer or TV) with their clubs and no patriotic affiliation (apologies if a misstep) with the countries at hand. Some will cheer for their club, and if there's a country with a handful of said club players on their side, that's where the affiliation will go.

I've grown up in the free agency period of sports, so club affiliation is neat, but it's country over club for me. Just wish there were more stringent policies as to who can play for which country. See, Fernandes for Russia.

I have to believe free agency tilts the club vs country argument some to country. I just saw that Ronaldo is gone to a Italy club team. But guess what..... he would still play for Portugal.

One other interesting dynamic. Say the Primer league becomes less native born Englishmen. Does that change the argument some for people from England? I don't know... like I said it's an interesting dynamic.

It's like this. I didn't watch when the US Women's team was so good in the past, because their talisman was a gay Gator. Deal killer for me.

I agree with this. When Wambach was there I didn't pay much attention to the USWNT. Heck, at this point, while I do pay a lot closer attention to them, I still don't cheer for certain players because I just don't like them all that much.

On the men's side I cheer for Arsenal on the club side (the 5 stripes are growing on me and I like them for a minor league level club). If I am watching national teams I cheer for Italy #1.

I don't typically cheer a lot for the USMNT for many different reasons that I won't get into here. If it comes down to a neutral game, I cheer more against sp*rs players, l'pool players, manu players, etc. rather than cheering for Arsenal club players. As an example, I didn't really cheer much for Chile despite them having Alexis when he was a Gunner.

Mixing club & country is definitely an interesting dynamic we don't see a lot here in the US, and it is difficult to explain.

I wonder if CR7 will be playing in Atlanta in a few weeks? That'd actually be something I might want to attend.

The club v country conversation is interesting.
I will say that I've had no problem cheering for Wambach and the USWNT in international competition. Somewhat similarly, I had no problem cheering for Jordan (who I didn't like at all with the Bulls) while he was on Team USA.

The only American athlete I think I've rooted against in international competition was that idiot gator douchebag, Ryan Lochte. 20% b/c he's a goater, 80% because he's an idiot and a terrible representative of our nation.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
The last handful of posts lost me so help this noob out. Do the players for the World Cup teams not necessarily represent the countries they play for (are they citizens, natives, family ties, etc...)? Are there non-French people on the team from France? Not totally sure if my point is clear but hopefully somebody can decipher it.

If I were American, born, raised, and maintained my citizenship, but I played for one of the British club teams, could I play for either country in the World Cup?

Last edited:
I agree with this. When Wambach was there I didn't pay much attention to the USWNT. Heck, at this point, while I do pay a lot closer attention to them, I still don't cheer for certain players because I just don't like them all that much.

On the men's side I cheer for Arsenal on the club side (the 5 stripes are growing on me and I like them for a minor league level club). If I am watching national teams I cheer for Italy #1.

I don't typically cheer a lot for the USMNT for many different reasons that I won't get into here. If it comes down to a neutral game, I cheer more against sp*rs players, l'pool players, manu players, etc. rather than cheering for Arsenal club players. As an example, I didn't really cheer much for Chile despite them having Alexis when he was a Gunner.

Mixing club & country is definitely an interesting dynamic we don't see a lot here in the US, and it is difficult to explain.
This seems crazy to me that you cheer for Italy and never for the USA! You dont have to go into it like you said, but you've piqued my interest out of pure shock. I dont think Ive ever met an American soccer fan that didnt root for the USMNT. It's disheartening, even from a stranger, but Im sure you must have a damn good reason that you feel that way.

I think most US sports fans root for the national teams like the Dream Team and gator soccer players like Wambach and the like. Hell even if they had college football in the oklmpics Id pull for us even if they had some canes and gators on the squad. And ditto on Lochte...just a little bit.

Most of the players are truly from the country for which they play. There are some who are dual citizenship (either because the parents are from different countries, or the parents were citizens of country a but living in country b when the kid was born). in those cases i believe they can play for either. Think one of the Russian players was born and raised in Brazil.

The last handful of posts lost me so help this noob out. Do the players for the World Cup teams not necessarily represent the countries they play for (are they citizens, natives, family ties, etc...)? Are there non-French people on the team from France? Not totally sure if my point is clear but hopefully somebody can decipher it.

If I were American, born, raised, and maintained my citizenship, but I played for one of the British club teams, could I play for either country in the World Cup?

It's like the Olympics--you have to be a citizen of the country you play for. There are other complicated rules for players with dual citizenship . You can represent one country at the youth level and another at the senior level, although you are only allowed to switch once. Once you play a competitive senior match with a team you are cap tied to that country even if you are technically eligible to play for someone else.

Most of the players are truly from the country for which they play. There are some who are dual citizenship (either because the parents are from different countries, or the parents were citizens of country a but living in country b when the kid was born). in those cases i believe they can play for either. Think one of the Russian players was born and raised in Brazil.

Pretty much this. Seems more and more though, countries/soccer federations are finding the tiniest of hints of a tie to a country. Julian Green, for example, was born in Tampa, moved to Germany with his mother and has lived the entirety of his life there. Three months prior to WC 2014, Klinsmann got him recruited to USMNT and he applied to FIFA for a one time switch to US nationality, having played for both Germany and USA as a youth international. Then there's John Brooks. Father was in the armed forces for America, met a German lady and had John in Berlin. He's never lived in America, but because of his father's citizenship, he gets to play for USMNT.

I'm sure this happens much more often than I can think of for many other countries, but the Ol' American Allegiance is what makes me think that we take advantage of loopholes more than anyone.

I think as an American it's Country over club. That's partly because my MLS team is Orlando and we've been a dumpster fire since joining the MLS, but also because it's the MLS and just not that good.

European teams have the UEFA Champions League in addition to league matches, and to some I think the Champions League means more than league games. UEFA almost takes on a country feel a little bit as well. I don't think it's as much in the English Premier League, but do fans of Real Madrid or Barcelona really care about what happens in their internal league aside from when it comes to them playing one another? It's pretty much known the winner is going to be one of those two teams. I think they just use their league to prepare for the Champions League where the real competition takes place.

Reactions: fsUTampa
I'm not sure which part of this I find more ridiculous - that you wouldn't cheer for team USA because the star was from UF, or that you cared about her sexuality.

I said I didn't WATCH. I was glad they one, but I ain't watching someone pretending to be hetero and getting hitched to prevent bad pub, and repping the Gates, for anything.

Would love to have a France vs England final, with the Brits winning, just to see the epic footage of them partying afterwards.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
I said I didn't WATCH. I was glad they one, but I ain't watching someone pretending to be hetero and getting hitched to prevent bad pub, and repping the Gates, for anything.
Accidentally started too many fires on the TC to even get involved with this.

Back to the game. Been working while passively watching. Certainly seems like France are controlling the pace of play. I really like their team speed. Still well within reach for Belgium, can't forget their crazy come back v Japan a few days back.

I thought Belgium played much better than france in the first half. Seemed to dominate possession and had several good scoring chances. Theyve had possession more of the 2nd too but France has had the beter scoring opportunities, including the goal,

Reactions: noleit
I thought Belgium played much better than france in the first half. Seemed to dominate possession and had several good scoring chances. Theyve had possession more of the 2nd too but France has had the beter scoring opportunities, including the goal,

France's defense has been really good. Two shut outs in a row. They are going to be tough to beat.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Now I'll be pulling for England to win vs Croatia to see a Eng vs France final.

Reactions: seminoleed
I'm not sure which part of this I find more ridiculous - that you wouldn't cheer for team USA because the star was from UF, or that you cared about her sexuality.

The interesting thing is of all the US sports leagues the MLS does the most to recognize and include the LGBT community. I’ve said this before but this mindset (including Mexican fans and their chant for GK) must drive the front office of MLS offices crazy. It by far is the most progressive sports league in the country.

Last edited:
I missed the little “g” is Ed’s reply. The interesting thing is of all the US sports leagues the MLS does the most to recognize and include the LGBT community. I’ve said this before but this mindset (including Mexican fans and their chant for GK) must drive the front office of MLS offices crazy. It by far is the most progressive sports league in the country.
True. I was just at a Orlando City game and they had the Orlando Gay Choir sing the national anthem and also had a rainbow colored section of seats in honor of the Pulse victims.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Pretty much this. Seems more and more though, countries/soccer federations are finding the tiniest of hints of a tie to a country. Julian Green, for example, was born in Tampa, moved to Germany with his mother and has lived the entirety of his life there. Three months prior to WC 2014, Klinsmann got him recruited to USMNT and he applied to FIFA for a one time switch to US nationality, having played for both Germany and USA as a youth international. Then there's John Brooks. Father was in the armed forces for America, met a German lady and had John in Berlin. He's never lived in America, but because of his father's citizenship, he gets to play for USMNT.

I'm sure this happens much more often than I can think of for many other countries, but the Ol' American Allegiance is what makes me think that we take advantage of loopholes more than anyone.

Did you read that article from The Ringer about the downfall of USMNT in qualifying? Pretty much throws those guys under the bus, and rightfully so. I'm happy the younger kids seem to be more "true Americans" coming up the ranks.

Speaking of the younger kids, they took this same France team (their A squad) to a draw just 6 weeks ago in France. I'll take it!

Reactions: seminoleed
I think for fans the overwhelming majority do not see it as club vs country. Now I may root for my club player to start and want them to do better than others but would never cause me to root against my country. I also think many Americans, like myself tend to root for a second country other than our own because we want to have a rooting interest that has a legit chance to make deep runs and we watch so much club soccer we know most of the big players.

I don’t know Les’s background but I think if he is English his position of not rooting for England because of Spurs is the minority. But then again if he’s rooting for Arsenal it might mean his French lol I kid Les I really enjoy your posts and input.

I believe the players really care about their country especially in the World Cup. But there are so many commitments when playing internationally that compete with club duties some are fearful an injury can ruin a career and consequently their finances. The best players play in Europe regardless of where they are from and that makes tough travel duties. The rules for who you can play for are crazy. I believe you can play for a country if you are a citizen, younhave parents or grandparents from there. But once you play for senior team you can’t change. There’s a lot of recruiting youths. I remember G Rossi was an American that had Italian heritage and he picked Italy. Would have really helped US but didn’t work out. I think this happens a lot for African countries as so many youth leave early on they have options where they can play for when the senior team calls.

That was fast. England scores in 5th minute off free kick.

Did you read that article from The Ringer about the downfall of USMNT in qualifying? Pretty much throws those guys under the bus, and rightfully so. I'm happy the younger kids seem to be more "true Americans" coming up the ranks.

Just read The Ringer piece. Yes, it articulates well the issues that Gulati brought about, but (as some of us have touched on in prior posts) it doesn't really address the pay for play issues and what Hope Solo has pointed out regarding being a "rich, white kid sport" in America. Will save my words on that for a later post that I'm sure will get revisited.

Sterling looks even faster than usual against this Croatian back line. I think he might score today.

So the Croats are trying to out-physical England. Novel concept. Not sure they've witnessed the past 80 years of Premiership soccer though.

England really does need to start playing more thru balls on angles to get the Croat back three worn out. Betting we see more low, long passes (as in, over 30 yard plays) early on in the 2nd half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT