ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 World Cup Thread...

That reminded a lot of the freekick against Portsmouth. This is why the World Cup is so wonderful. You're up Messi.
Messi has a lot more talent around him. I wouldn't be shocked if Argentina wins the whole thing.

I wouldnt be shocked but then again Argentina barely qualified. Ronaldo isnt single handedly pulling Portugal along, but Messi does have a lot more around him IMO.

Argentina won't make it out of the group.

I despise Ronaldo (flopping fairy), but I cannot hate on his talent (especially when he cares to actually play the game).

What was De Gea doing? Not just on the howler, but also on the free kick...from that angle, he should've been a couple more steps to his left pre-kick, as there was no way CR7 would've hit the opposite post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my luck. 2 players I can't stand (Floppin' Ronaldo and Costa, perhaps the dirtiest player on the planet) score 5 between then. What a match, though. This will make up for having to get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to start watching. Let's go, Socceroos!

I'm not sure I can bring myself to wake up at 6am on a Saturday to watch the bore fest that'll be France/Australia. I'll save up for Argentina/Iceland at 9am

Reactions: NoleLizards
France v Austria is the first game I've watched. Stadium is half empty and the shadow on the field is distracting. I'm calling it: lamest World Cup ever.

About to flip over to NFL network to watch A Football Life reruns (j/k).

Stadium has filled in. Everyone must have been down buying beers. Might be the booze talking but I'm calling it: Best World Cup ever.
Except for the opening match, it's been extraordinary so far. ...And I'm sure the players and fans prefer the climate in Russia over the Amazonian jungle.

Reactions: squiffynole
France v Austria is the first game I've watched.
FocusedHalfEyas-max-1mb.gif

Iceland's very muscular in their style and are holding their own, but I'll be surprised if they can go the full 90 against this team.

Reactions: billanole
I'm fascinated by Iceland's tactics.

Ball on their end of the field...drop back and pack it in.

Ball on the opposing team's end of the field and the other team has possession....press high and tight man-to-man (which forced a few turnovers that allowed offensive chances).

Get possession of the ball...everyone on the team presses forward instantly and crashes the box.

Such heart to play that way. They were gassed by the end. I wonder how they'll turn it around in 4 days to play Game 2. Will be a case study in recovery.

But hell of a game by them today!

Viva Peru. But Guerrero is not starting. That’s really strange.

On that missed PK, Steven looked like he did when he saw Run-DMC performing "Walk This Way".

Reactions: daveynole
It seems like Messi just lollygags around a lot.
Is this accurate / normal?

He seems to do that more on the national team. If you ever watch him with Barcelona he is all over the place on offense, setting things up, dribbling past many guys, taking great shots. This Argentina coach is terrible and has changed the formations and line ups for every game. It is one of the reasons that they barely qualified for the WC.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT