ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 World Cup Thread...

I love the beautiful game but one aspect that I wish they would clean up is the way the players badger the refs. During the WC when the casual sports fan watches for the first time it is a big black eye for the sport. Diving is bad but hard to get rid but harassing the refs is clear cut.

Players in US sports would be ejected for what happens seemingly every 10 min during a soccer game in terms of vocal dissent and gestures etc.

I love the beautiful game but one aspect that I wish they would clean up is the way the players badger the refs. During the WC when the casual sports fan watches for the first time it is a big black eye for the sport. Diving is bad but hard to get rid but harassing the refs is clear cut.

Players in US sports would be ejected for what happens seemingly every 10 min during a soccer game in terms of vocal dissent and gestures etc.
A yellow or two would put a stop to it quickly.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
Spain down 2-1 with 4 minutes regulation time.

Ronaldo lucky not to have been given a red card on an away from ball foul to head.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Both games under VAR check in stoppage time.

Who wins the fair play tiebreaker between Portugal & Spain?

Things change quickly in stoppage time , Spain ties Morocco and Iran ties Portugal. Great late games!!!

question for you fans that follow more than I. When the ref is laying into the players, or they are all complaining to him, what language? At the end of the Portugal and Iran game, English? Spanish? Sure it varies based on match and teams, but ??

Was in the air for most of today’s games but caught the end, wowza! Looked like two great matches.
Felt bad for Iran’s squad as they seemed devastated.

Nice showing for Morocco. Happy they they’re able to go home having earned a point vs a powerhouse opponent.

Reactions: noleit
Was in the air for most of today’s games but caught the end, wowza! Looked like two great matches.
Felt bad for Iran’s squad as they seemed devastated.

Nice showing for Morocco. Happy they they’re able to go home having earned a point vs a powerhouse opponent.
Definitely the best of all eight groups.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Spain lucked out at the end there. They were about to face Uruguay and now draw Russia. Portugal will play Uruguay in Sochi. Should be a great game. Hell, maybe the Spain/Russia game will also be formidable based on how they have both been playing and it’s in Moscow.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Spain lucked out at the end there. They were about to face Uruguay and now draw Russia. Portugal will play Uruguay in Sochi. Should be a great game. Hell, maybe the Spain/Russia game will also be formidable based on how they have both been playing and it’s in Moscow.

That and the Russians are on drugs. There's some interesting stats out there that are backing up some questionable things the federation did prior to the WC regarding drug testing.

question for you fans that follow more than I. When the ref is laying into the players, or they are all complaining to him, what language? At the end of the Portugal and Iran game, English? Spanish? Sure it varies based on match and teams, but ??

Solid question. I'm sure it'd be a common Romance Language such as Spanish. Could be English, I mean, look at all the space folks that speak it in all the Sci-Fi movies.

Solid question. I'm sure it'd be a common Romance Language such as Spanish. Could be English, I mean, look at all the space folks that speak it in all the Sci-Fi movies.
It's likely English.

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-cup-mystery-solved-language-refs-players-speak-field-215143257.html

Actually, the laws of the game have been designed to make it possible for a referee to do his or her job without speaking, by simply using gestures. Even red and yellow cards were invented as a means to circumvent the language barrier in international soccer.

FIFA, international soccer’s governing body, actually lists four official languages: English, German, French, and Spanish. So do refs and players speak all four of those languages to each other in a match? It’s doubtful.

In the buildup to the 2014 World Cup, FIFA held training conferences that refs in contention to officiate had to attend. In addition to rigorous fitness demands (referees typically run between 6 and 7.5 miles per game), one of the requirements was that they be able to speak English.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
..... Could be English, I mean, look at all the space folks that speak it in all the Sci-Fi movies.

English - standard language for business, coding, pilots, space force and FiFA.

I mean, even this guy spoke enough English.
andropov-in-hat.jpg

English - standard language for business, coding, pilots, space force and FiFA.

I mean, even this guy spoke enough English.
andropov-in-hat.jpg

Old joke:

What do you call a person that speaks three languages......tri-lingual

What do you call a person that speaks two languages......bilingual.

What do you call a person that speaks one language.......an American.

Which game to watch coming up... NIG v ARG or ISL v CRO? Former will likely more more fast paced, up and down but the latter will likely be more strategic and hard fought. May go with NIG v ARG just to see if they decide to put Messi in the middle of the park in hopes of actually having multiple players involved in the match.

I'm going with NGA/ARG, both because it has more tournament ramifications and like both squads but have been disappointed by the Argentine side.

Will be rooting for Nigeria to take this one.

I think the NIG v ARG game will be more entertaining. Both sides are going to try and push the ball up the field and it could lead to a lot of counter attacks & breakaways. I am almost thinking a 3-2 or 4-2 final in this one.

Will Messi and co. actually show up for once during this World Cup?

If they do, it will be electric.

If they don’t, it will be one of the worst flameouts in recent WC history.

Just can't cheer for Argentina due to Messi. Go Super Eagles.

Croatia doesnt have anything to play for and I think Iceland's game is more counter attacking anyway. Nigeria I believe only need a draw so I sense they are ok inviting pressure from Arg and trying to hit them on the counter.

An Argentina goal would seem to liven things up in that match. A Nigeria goal might kill it off since Arg havent been playing with any heart lately.

Ok, that was a rather beautiful goal. Fantastic pass, great first touch by Messi to get it in position to shoot. Wow.

I liked the way the referee settled down the player from NGA.

Compared to NCAA/NFL/NBA refs who at times seem to antagonize players and invite confrontation by dangling their power above the players heads, this guy really de-escalated things quickly with a quick second of empathy / understanding.

Would love to see more of that in our sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT