ADVERTISEMENT

The Original Mad Max

kc78

Seminole Insider
Nov 25, 2002
I have never seen anything but a few pieces here and there of any of the Mad Max movies. I decided to watch the original a few nights ago. I've only made it halfway through, but that is a weird movie. I don't think I really have any clue what is happening. How is this considered a classic? What am I missing?

I've never heard anyone refer to it as a classic (maybe a "cult classic"), but agree with you that it's weird. I posted in the other thread that the characters are bizarre. Toecutter, the Night Rider, and even the cops are odd. Add in the low budget nature of the film and it's just depressing. To me it's akin to a zombie movie.

I did as well the other night. Movies back in those days were all weird. It's all artistic impression. There is hardly any dialogue and they will spend an extra minute on a landscape scene or pan out with some weird music playing

It's really not that complicated of a story line...

Really, more than anything it's the sequel Road Warrior that is a true classic.

Mad Max is basically a small Australian cult film that you either get or don't get. I "get it" and love it.

Road Warrior is a true classic, on par with Terminator 2 as the best of the old action flicks. It's simply called that in Mericuh as the execs felt the original cult classic was unnecessary. Meanwhile in Australia it was "Mad Max 2".

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome was a miss. Amusing enough, but nowhere near as good as the other two.

Mad Max Fury Road is another real classic. On repeat viewing, I'll probably like it better than Road Warrior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT