ADVERTISEMENT

The Rio Olympics are going to be such a disaster

NDallasRuss

Veteran Seminole Insider
Dec 5, 2002
Purcellville, VA
Yesterday this was this, about the water in which some of the sports will be held:

"
The Olympic waters in this city are more widely contaminated by sewage than previously known and pose a greater threat to athletes' health ahead of next year's games, according to new results from tests commissioned by The Associated Press.

Expanded analysis of Rio's waterways shows that high viral and in some cases bacterial counts are found not just along shorelines where raw sewage runs into waterbodies, but far offshore where athletes will compete in sailing, rowing and canoeing.

That means there is no dilution factor in the bay or lagoon where events will take place.

"It's going to increase the exposure of the people who come into contact with those waters," said Kristina Mena, a U.S. expert in waterborne viruses. "If we saw those levels here in the United States on beaches, officials would likely close those beaches.""

Today there's this story about the countries having to pay for air conditioning for their athletes while they're at the games:

"The 10,500 athletes at next year's Olympics will feel first-hand the deep budget cuts buffeting the Rio de Janeiro Games: They won't have air conditioning in their bedrooms unless someone pays for it.

Charging for air conditioning is part of what games organizers call finding "fat" and cutting it."

"Asked specifically about the need for AC in the bedrooms, Andrada replied: "We don't think it's going to be critical [to have air conditioning] there."

Though the games take place in the South American winter -- Aug. 5-21, 2016 -- it could still be hot. This year on Aug. 19 the temperature soared to 35.4 degrees Celsius (95.7 degrees Fahrenheit)."

If I were an Olympic athlete training for my life's dream of representing my country in the Olympics, I'd be so disappointed that this was what I had to look forward to.

Some of these athlete are going to have to incorporate feces into their training and diet regimen. Build up your poo tolerance and you've got a better shot at gold in '16.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
They need to move it to London or L.A. It's embarrassing & waste of money that we even try to allow these crappy countries to play adult.

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to move it to London or L.A. It's embarrassing & waste of money that we even try to allow these crappy countries to play adult.
I think this is the way to go. Establish a set of maybe 6-10 permanent locations each for Summer and Winter that can effectively host the Olympics without plunging the host countries further into debt. Rotate the games around each of the sites. Re-evaluate the list every 20 years or so in case any new places come up, or if existing places go into decline. Kinda like how the CFB semi-final games are rotated around the six different bowl games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure a bunch of rowers got sick while training there this summer from contact with the water. Gonna be ugly.

I think this is the way to go. Establish a set of maybe 6-10 permanent locations each for Summer and Winter that can effectively host the Olympics without plunging the host countries further into debt. Rotate the games around each of the sites. Re-evaluate the list every 20 years or so in case any new places come up, or if existing places go into decline. Kinda like how the CFB semi-final games are rotated around the six different bowl games.

I'd end the entire Olympics. It's one of the largest cons in the world and functions only to put money in a small percentage of decision makers. Every country is significantly in debt and cannot and should not be expected to build palaces just to be afforded the Olympics. If feel the same way about the NFL.

Pretty sure a bunch of rowers got sick while training there this summer from contact with the water. Gonna be ugly.
Mike & mike had an American member of the IOC (she was a former Olympic rower) who said that those kids got sick from eating local ice cream, not from the water. (Insert eye roll here)
She said that for the water, Rio has given up trying to implement a permanent solution, so they're trying to put something temporary into place for the games. She said they're going to use the linked buoys to contain the sewage/pollution - like they do to contain an oil spill.

Yesterday this was this, about the water in which some of the sports will be held:

"
The Olympic waters in this city are more widely contaminated by sewage than previously known and pose a greater threat to athletes' health ahead of next year's games, according to new results from tests commissioned by The Associated Press.

Expanded analysis of Rio's waterways shows that high viral and in some cases bacterial counts are found not just along shorelines where raw sewage runs into waterbodies, but far offshore where athletes will compete in sailing, rowing and canoeing.

That means there is no dilution factor in the bay or lagoon where events will take place.

"It's going to increase the exposure of the people who come into contact with those waters," said Kristina Mena, a U.S. expert in waterborne viruses. "If we saw those levels here in the United States on beaches, officials would likely close those beaches.""

Today there's this story about the countries having to pay for air conditioning for their athletes while they're at the games:

"The 10,500 athletes at next year's Olympics will feel first-hand the deep budget cuts buffeting the Rio de Janeiro Games: They won't have air conditioning in their bedrooms unless someone pays for it.

Charging for air conditioning is part of what games organizers call finding "fat" and cutting it."

"Asked specifically about the need for AC in the bedrooms, Andrada replied: "We don't think it's going to be critical [to have air conditioning] there."

Though the games take place in the South American winter -- Aug. 5-21, 2016 -- it could still be hot. This year on Aug. 19 the temperature soared to 35.4 degrees Celsius (95.7 degrees Fahrenheit)."

If I were an Olympic athlete training for my life's dream of representing my country in the Olympics, I'd be so disappointed that this was what I had to look forward to.

Worse than the Russian one that had live wolves running around in the unfinished hotels assigned to reporters?

I'm sure the summer (and winter) Olympics served some purpose in the last century but over the past few decades it's become a clusterduck. It's become some sort of prestige symbol for underdeveloped/developing countries. The bidding process goes through the IOC perhaps the most corrupt institution after FIFA. After enough bribe money changes hands, they award it to some nation which is woefully unprepared in terms of infrastructure. Then these countries at great expense to their tax payers, build up infrastructure and villages which turn into ghost towns almost immediately post-Olympics. Every single step of the way before and during the Olympics there's some sort of corruption, mismanagement or neglect. Not to mention the rampant doping which, if and when caught, results in many medal winners getting disqualified. And ultimately with ISIS and what not, the security of the participants is always a major concern (think Munich, Atlanta). All this because some developing country wants to thump it's chest because it got the opportunity to host a major sporting event. The only winners are the IOC members (bribes), hosting country officials/pols (skimming off the top) and China (many medals thanks to ping pong diplomacy). It's unfair to pretty much everyone else. To quote an influential FSU booster form the lost decade: "it's time to take this dog out to the backyard and put a bullet through it"

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I'd end the entire Olympics. It's one of the largest cons in the world and functions only to put money in a small percentage of decision makers. Every country is significantly in debt and cannot and should not be expected to build palaces just to be afforded the Olympics. If feel the same way about the NFL.
I'd hate to do away with it altogether. Just have one or two permanent sites. Same for the World Cup.

Reactions: fsUTampa
I guess after all the kickbacks, they didn't have any money left for the actual Games.

Why not go with just one permanent site on each continent for summer and one for winter, cycle those bastards through so every continent gets one hosting opportunity every 20 years? Wyoming is fairly useless, that could be the centrally located North American site for summer Olympics and Calgary or Winnipeg would be great for winter. 20 years allows ample time for complete demolition and renovation of all facilities.

As for World Cup... just once I want that event to be held somewhere that I don't have to either stay up until 1am or wake up at 4am to watch live games. Good Gawd France and Korea (or was it Japan) was just brutal.

Why not go with just one permanent site on each continent for summer and one for winter, cycle those bastards through so every continent gets one hosting opportunity every 20 years? Wyoming is fairly useless, that could be the centrally located North American site for summer Olympics and Calgary or Winnipeg would be great for winter. 20 years allows ample time for complete demolition and renovation of all facilities.

As for World Cup... just once I want that event to be held somewhere that I don't have to either stay up until 1am or wake up at 4am to watch live games. Good Gawd France and Korea (or was it Japan) was just brutal.
The World Cup was just in Brazil. If you had to wake up at 4 AM for that, you did it wrong.

I'd hate to do away with it altogether. Just have one or two permanent sites. Same for the World Cup.

Because the world, especially the US, needs to have a come-to-Jesus discussion and realize no one can afford it anymore....time to take the credit cards away.

Because the world, especially the US, needs to have a come-to-Jesus discussion and realize no one can afford it anymore....time to take the credit cards away.
But the biggest, most wasteful expense is construction. Once that's done the TV money could pay for holding the games.

I hear you though. It's awful that Brazil has vacant WC stadiums and is now breaking the bank for the Olympics. Or that the Sochi facilities are starting to crumble. Or that thousands of slaves have died building the WC stadiums in Qatar.

I agree with a few permanent locations paid for by someone who can afford it. It's a moral issue at this point...the Olympics are supposed to be this transcendent event in the PR, yet the entire process is not just unethical but borderline immoral.

You could still allow a country to "host it" in terms of showcasing their history and culture in the opening ceremony or what not, and allow them to choose one event to hold on their home soil. But what's happening now (and has been for a while) is an abomination. It's not as if having it in a certain place allows the locals to meaningfully attend events, considering the cost of access. There's nothing lost there for the local population other than a lot of problems.

Agree with several others that the Olympics are simply a boondoggle.

In a perfect world, a host city must:
already have > 80% of the infra built
currently be utilizing it > 50% of all facilities useful capacity
meet human rights standards (not sure which but someone can sort that out) both nationally and for all Olympic construction projects

IOC is so corrupt at its core it can't be trusted to administer these games with even the slightest modicum of self control.

Side note... anyone else notice the recent commercials from Koch industries about cleaning them cleaning the water in Brazil? The Koch brothers are so slimy, they're gonna ride the bad publicity of Brazil's water problems to rake in more billions. They're the devil.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Side note... anyone else notice the recent commercials from Koch industries about cleaning them cleaning the water in Brazil? The Koch brothers are so slimy, they're gonna ride the bad publicity of Brazil's water problems to rake in more billions. They're the devil.
They're going to clean the water? What's wrong with that?

It's time for the IOC to pick one location for the summer games, Greece or Rome, and keep them there.

I dunno, makes the games a little more interesting, seeing which athletes will get sick first. Can you imagine Usain Bolt getting the runs while running? Good times.

I think this might have legs. It will kind of like going to the dog track and watching them crap before a race. I'll put $20 dollars on "Buttpiss" Gatlin.

I was thinking about going to South America next summer for a vacation (Rio and Buenos Aires). We were in Africa last summer and had a great time. I totally forgot about the Olympics - and the other problems mentioned. Thanks! We'll probably pick another area/continent to visit!!

When you look at some of the former venues that are now deserted, it's hard to argue against that.

I still enjoy watching them though. But if they tried to bring one to our town I would not be in favor of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT