ADVERTISEMENT

The Snake died

Damn too young, one of my all time favorites. Upstairs throwin back a few shots with Big Al, RIP Snake.

he had the it factor. one of my all time favorite players to watch in college and pro.he will be missed and remembered.

Dude lived hard. Probably the equivalent of a 90 year-old man in terms of adventures completed. RIP.

You only rock it once, so you gotta rock it hard. RIP Snake...loved your game

Hope it's false. He is the Keith Richards of football

Classic! He is one of my all-time favorite Raiders and there is nothing on ESPN about it but Fox still has it on their front page and the article was posted at 5:55 PM. He once said that when he wrote his autobiography, about 12 former teammates were handed divorce papers.

Fox gave credit to the Tusccaloosa News, and the TN has deleted the story.

Former Raiders quarterback Ken Stabler dies

Ken Stabler, who quarterbacked the Oakland Raiders to a win in Super Bowl XI has died at the age of 69, the Raiders confirmed Thursday. The University of Alabama passed along a statement from the family, which says Stabler died of colon cancer.

Stabler, nicknamed "The Snake," was a four-time Pro Bowler in the NFL. He won two NCAA titles as a backup quarterback at Alabama, and led the 1966 team to an undefeated record.

"I head coach of the Raiders the entire time Kenny was there and he led us to a whole bunch of victories including one in Super Bowl XI," John Madden said in a statement. "I've often said, If I had one drive to win a game to this day, and I had a quarterback to pick, I would pick Kenny. Snake was a lot cooler than I was. He was a perfect quarterback and a perfect Raider. When you think about the Raiders you think about Ken Stabler. Kenny loved life. It is a sad day for all Raiders."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000500866/article/former-raiders-quarterback-ken-stabler-dies

Reactions: CJRN
Bastard killed the Dolphins back in the day. He was a cool dude!

Dang ! The Snake could really thread the ball downfield. Him and Warren Moon were two of my favorites in that era. But Stabler to Bilitnokoff was a true thing of beauty ! RIP, Kenny.

Colon cancer! Maybe THIS is a good time to encourage ALL Seminole fans on here to (please), if you are 50 or older, get that dang colonoscopy ! Apparently colon cancer is almost 100% preventable with adequate and assertive testing (colonoscopy).
I have lost too many friends to this dang disease. Think about getting checked !

Reactions: CJRN
Dang ! The Snake could really thread the ball downfield. Him and Warren Moon were two of my favorites in that era. But Stabler to Bilitnokoff was a true thing of beauty ! RIP, Kenny.

Colon cancer! Maybe THIS is a good time to encourage ALL Seminole fans on here to (please), if you are 50 or older, get that dang colonoscopy ! Apparently colon cancer is almost 100% preventable with adequate and assertive testing (colonoscopy).
I have lost too many friends to this dang disease. Think about getting checked !
Take your own advise and don't just think about it especially if you are over 50 or have any family history of colon cancer.

I became enamored with the NFL back in the 70's when I was a kid. Although I was more of a fan of the Steelers & the Phins, I certainly appreciated "the greatness of the Raiduhs" and their place as one of professional sports' winningest franchises during that time. With each legend from those days that passes, a little part of me does, as well.

R.I.P., Snake. God just got another great QB for heaven's football league. (As an aside, I am very saddened that Stabler has yet to be inducted into the HOF. It's a tremendous injustice, but perhaps his passing will hasten the veterans' committee to do what should have been done long ago.)

Most of the posters here know that I am a die hard Raiders fan living in the middle of Patriots country.

How did I become a Raiders fan in this part of the country where the Raiders are almost as hated as much as the Yankees, Lakers and Canadians? Two words for you! Stabler to Casper, the Ghost to the post! Christmas Eve, 1977, I was seven years old and the Raiders and Colts played what NFL films has called one of the most memorable games in NFL history, and toddler Manch remembers his first NFL game.

Like I said, it was Christmas Eve and all the guys were watching the game while eating turkey and pounding Budweisers, they weren't rooting for Baltimore, they were rooting against Oakland, and because I loved the uniforms, I was rooting for the Raiders. My grandfather said that I was rooting for them to be a little shit and that I actually didn't even like Oakland. I bet him $1 that Oakland would win. I can remember a lot of swearing when Oakland would score and it would take me a few years to learn that Oakland was actually hated by just about everyone, not just New Englanders and to this day, Jack Tatum is more hated than Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Well anyway, I kept my word to my grandfather and I was a Raiders fan, and I still am to this day, and I have not really ever cheered for the Patriots.

December 24, 1977 was Casper's day (I also liked Oakland that day because I knew who Casper the Friendly Ghost was, and of course, Dave Casper had perhaps, the greatest playoff game ever by a tight end). It was Casper's day, thanks to Kenny Stabler's pinpoint accuracy and late game greatness. I was crushed as a kid when Stabler was traded to Houston for friggin Dan Pastorini. In 1976, Stabler completed 66.7% of his passes, unheard of at the time. His 66.7% single season completion percentage ranks 47th all time. Not that impressive? It is considering today's rules and style of football, and quarterbacks from the 1970's don't come close to having the highest single season completion percentage (from the 70's, Kenny Anderson ranks next, with 64.9% in 1974 and ranking him #98, Fran Tarkenton is ranked 121st at 64.2% in 1975, Bob Griese at 185th in 1978 with 63%, Stabler again in 1973 at 62.7% which ranks him at #203, Staubach in 1973 and Fouts in 1979 at 62.6% and ranked #210 and Virgil Carter of Cincy in 1971 at 62.2% and ranked #249).

So, of the top 258 passers with the highest single season completion percentage, only 8 have come from the 1970's, and Stabler did it twice.

It's too bad that Oakland didn't win more Super Bowls back in the 70's, but Pittsburgh had some great teams back then and I don't hate Pittsburgh, I actually respect them because of the teams that they had in the 70's.

Now that the Hall of Fame czars have finally let a kicker in (it is pretty easy to understand that even in his prime, Al Davis used the 23rd pick in the draft to draft a punter in Ray Guy), and with Stabler's passing and his on the field credentials, maybe the HOF czars can see to it that there is a plaque with Kenny Stabler's name on it, and they can find a plaque with Lester Hayes' name on it too!

I might be slightly biased in thinking that Stabler belongs in the Hall, but the 1970's had some great quarterbacks in Griese, Tarkenton, Bradshaw, Staubach, Dawson, Namath, Ken Anderson........ I have looked up some lists of the best QB's of the 1970's, and Stabler ranks 4th or 5th in many of those polls, ahead of Hall of Famer's like Griese and Dawson. Also, listening to all of the great NFL players who played with and against Stabler on the radio today, many of them feel that Stabler deserves to be in the Hall.

Rest in peace, Kenny Stabler. You are the sole reason that I do not completely hate the University of Alabama, and you are the main reason that I am a Raiders fan. Thank you for the memories, of which, I've rewatched a ton of them today on Youtube. It's too bad that God called your name before the football Gods were able to call your name!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I don't understand why it wasn't a bigger headline than it was. It should have been the front page on ESPN's website the night he died. Instead, it was just some notice to follow the Cardinals game live. Odd. He was an icon for me as a kid, and I was not even a Raiders fan. A legendary figure for that era of football.

Quarterbacks that are listed on the NFL All Decade teams that have been inducted into the Hall of Fame:
1940's: Sammy Baugh, Sid Luckman, Bob Waterfield
1950's: Otto Graham, Bobby Layne, Norm Van Brocklin
1960's: Sonny Jurgensen, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas
1970's: Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw
1980's: Joe Montana, Dan Fouts
1990's: John Elway, Brett Favre (will be a first ballot HoF'er)
2000's: Tom Brady (will be a first ballot HoF'er), Peyton Manning (will be a first ballot HoF'er)

Quarterbacks that are listed on the NFL All Decade teams that have not been inducted into the Hall of Fame:
1970's: Ken Stabler

So, 17 out of the 18 QB's listed on the NFL All Decade teams have been or will be elected into the Hall of Fame, except Ken Stabler. Other QB's that played a good part of the 1970's that are in the HoF: Len Dawson, Bob Griese, Joe Namath and Fran Tarkenton.

Out of those 22 QB's listed above, where would you rate Stabler? Certainly he is not the 22nd out of 22.

He was a finalist three times and this is even more outrageous, he didn't even come close any of those three times. I don't think that he is eligible anymore for induction and I am not sure how he would get in now, is there a Veteran's Committee like MLB?

I believe there is a veterans committee and I agree, he should be in there over Namath at least. Namath is the most overrated player in NFL history.

Quarterbacks that are listed on the NFL All Decade teams that have been inducted into the Hall of Fame:
1940's: Sammy Baugh, Sid Luckman, Bob Waterfield
1950's: Otto Graham, Bobby Layne, Norm Van Brocklin
1960's: Sonny Jurgensen, Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas
1970's: Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw
1980's: Joe Montana, Dan Fouts
1990's: John Elway, Brett Favre (will be a first ballot HoF'er)
2000's: Tom Brady (will be a first ballot HoF'er), Peyton Manning (will be a first ballot HoF'er)

Quarterbacks that are listed on the NFL All Decade teams that have not been inducted into the Hall of Fame:
1970's: Ken Stabler

So, 17 out of the 18 QB's listed on the NFL All Decade teams have been or will be elected into the Hall of Fame, except Ken Stabler. Other QB's that played a good part of the 1970's that are in the HoF: Len Dawson, Bob Griese, Joe Namath and Fran Tarkenton.

Out of those 22 QB's listed above, where would you rate Stabler? Certainly he is not the 22nd out of 22.

He was a finalist three times and this is even more outrageous, he didn't even come close any of those three times. I don't think that he is eligible anymore for induction and I am not sure how he would get in now, is there a Veteran's Committee like MLB?

A little off topic, but anyone else surprised that Fouts was named ahead of Marino for the 2nd QB spot in the 80s?

A little off topic, but anyone else surprised that Fouts was named ahead of Marino for the 2nd QB spot in the 80s?

Yes, I'd say so since a lot of the stats Fouts accumulated actually occurred during the 70's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT