ADVERTISEMENT

This is sure to get Tribe and the anti-Disney crowd riled up (Disney vs Universal)

LesClaypool

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 12, 2004
Tallahassee
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/disney-world-rival-shrinking-worst-150000926.html

Disney World Rival Is Shrinking at the Worst Time

“...Theme-park enthusiasts can argue on the merits of the nixed attractions, but this ultimately means there are a pair of coaster experiences and two shows that have disappeared over the past year. People who would be enjoying any of these attractions a year ago are now likely making lines longer everywhere else. Universal Orlando did open Fast & Furious: Supercharged earlier this year, but that's another ride that took the place of two former attractions. It also doesn't help that the new screen-based ride is drumming up largely negative reviews.

The baton is clearly being passed back to Disney. Disney World's four theme parks saw their combined attendance rise 4% last year according to industry tracker Themed Entertainment Association. Comcast's two parks rose at a 2% clip. Universal Orlando did open a new waterpark last year -- wooing some traditional theme-park visitors and alleviating capacity constraints -- but the end results aren't justifying the means. Comcast's theme parks division saw its revenue rise 3.6% in its latest quarter, its weakest top-line gain in years.

The timing of the closures is rough. Disney is raising the bar. Universal Orlando is closing the bar down. Your move, Comcast.”

Disney simply has too much nostalgia and differen family options to be beaten. That place has bled my bank account big time staying at the different resort areas but honestly it’s worth it.

I think it is all cyclical. As people get bored of one park they go to the other. I feel Disney is so outdated and played out we have not gone in years. As they add more new features we might venture there next year when the favorable Florida resident rates return.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Disney is the king and it will be hard to dethrone it. As said earlier, the options for families is just that much better. I think Universal has its spot with teens/grown ups, but once little ones come in Disney wins big time.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/disney-world-rival-shrinking-worst-150000926.html

Disney World Rival Is Shrinking at the Worst Time

“...Theme-park enthusiasts can argue on the merits of the nixed attractions, but this ultimately means there are a pair of coaster experiences and two shows that have disappeared over the past year. People who would be enjoying any of these attractions a year ago are now likely making lines longer everywhere else. Universal Orlando did open Fast & Furious: Supercharged earlier this year, but that's another ride that took the place of two former attractions. It also doesn't help that the new screen-based ride is drumming up largely negative reviews.

The baton is clearly being passed back to Disney. Disney World's four theme parks saw their combined attendance rise 4% last year according to industry tracker Themed Entertainment Association. Comcast's two parks rose at a 2% clip. Universal Orlando did open a new waterpark last year -- wooing some traditional theme-park visitors and alleviating capacity constraints -- but the end results aren't justifying the means. Comcast's theme parks division saw its revenue rise 3.6% in its latest quarter, its weakest top-line gain in years.

The timing of the closures is rough. Disney is raising the bar. Universal Orlando is closing the bar down. Your move, Comcast.”

Well either the author is 1) lacking all knowledge of what Universal is building over the next two years, 2) just a blind Disney fanatic and/or 3) an idiot.

Coming later this year and early next year is an all new addition to the Harry Potter coaster which will be the most expensive ride ever built (and Universal makes rides twice as good at half the cost of Disney). It’s a huge, highly themed, roller coaster that has already taken over the Dueling Dragons footprint and will be adding at least the Sindbad footprint if not Poseidon as well. It’s going to be amazing on its own but they are also adding a very popular wand “magic” show that’s currently at the Osaka branch and possibly adding a Ministry of Magic section to the old Wild West theatre area near DiagonAlley. Plus where Terminator 2 sat is being quickly rethemed into a new special effects heavy stunt show and interactive movie that has been kept surprisingly hush hush (rumours most strongly point to it being themed to the Bourne movies but other rumours say it’s Mission Impossible, James Bond or Star Trek all of which Universal has the theme park rights to but are not using at the moment).

Coming the following year so 2020 will be the new Nintendo Land with at least four different new rides themed to Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Kirby properties. The most anticipated ride is of course the Mario Kart ride which is more than just a straight line “raceway” style roller coaster like the Disney’s planned Tron coaster, but will incorporate “jumping” hydraulics and spinning elements into the vehicles. The little kiddies (and some adults) are going to go gaga over the Princess/Bowser’s Castle and strolling Nintendo characters.

After 2020 will come a ton of new additions. The biggest is that Universal is working on adding two new theme parks to its recent (2016) purchase of 575 acres in Orlando (that’s bigger than Epcot, Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom put together). Not much is known yet about the new theme parks other than the first is likely going to be called Epic Universe per the IP filings although that could be a misdirection. In addition to the new parks there will be a reskinning of the Cartoon Lagoon to a more modern IP.

As far as what IPs are going in the new parks and reskinned IP, you can definitely expect a third Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts Wizarding World area. You can also definitely expect a large and heavily themed area equivalent to the planned Star Wars land at Disney but themed to Star Trek. That’s an IP that has weakened in the US but still has a devoted following AND it’s only increased in popularity in Europe and Japan over the years. The third large IP that’s likely to be tapped is Lord of the Rings which was originally going to reskin Cartoon Lagoon but the Tolkien Estate wants a HP level of control and all new high level rides. The owned but mostly unused Sanrio properties (Hello Kitty, Badtz-maru, Keroppi, Gudetama, Aggrestsuko, etc...) will likely be the new theme park’s kiddy area. Also, there’s Godzilla, Classic Universal Monsters, Walking Dead, Jurassic World, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Hellboy, Madagascar, How to Train Your Dragon, Spongebob, etc... which are sitting as unused IPs that have good potential.

Well either the author is 1) lacking all knowledge of what Universal is building over the next two years, 2) just a blind Disney fanatic and/or 3) an idiot.

Coming later this year and early next year is an all new addition to the Harry Potter coaster which will be the most expensive ride ever built (and Universal makes rides twice as good at half the cost of Disney). It’s a huge, highly themed, roller coaster that has already taken over the Dueling Dragons footprint and will be adding at least the Sindbad footprint if not Poseidon as well. It’s going to be amazing on its own but they are also adding a very popular wand “magic” show that’s currently at the Osaka branch and possibly adding a Ministry of Magic section to the old Wild West theatre area near DiagonAlley. Plus where Terminator 2 sat is being quickly rethemed into a new special effects heavy stunt show and interactive movie that has been kept surprisingly hush hush (rumours most strongly point to it being themed to the Bourne movies but other rumours say it’s Mission Impossible, James Bond or Star Trek all of which Universal has the theme park rights to but are not using at the moment).

Coming the following year so 2020 will be the new Nintendo Land with at least four different new rides themed to Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Kirby properties. The most anticipated ride is of course the Mario Kart ride which is more than just a straight line “raceway” style roller coaster like the Disney’s planned Tron coaster, but will incorporate “jumping” hydraulics and spinning elements into the vehicles. The little kiddies (and some adults) are going to go gaga over the Princess/Bowser’s Castle and strolling Nintendo characters.

After 2020 will come a ton of new additions. The biggest is that Universal is working on adding two new theme parks to its recent (2016) purchase of 575 acres in Orlando (that’s bigger than Epcot, Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom put together). Not much is known yet about the new theme parks other than the first is likely going to be called Epic Universe per the IP filings although that could be a misdirection. In addition to the new parks there will be a reskinning of the Cartoon Lagoon to a more modern IP.

As far as what IPs are going in the new parks and reskinned IP, you can definitely expect a third Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts Wizarding World area. You can also definitely expect a large and heavily themed area equivalent to the planned Star Wars land at Disney but themed to Star Trek. That’s an IP that has weakened in the US but still has a devoted following AND it’s only increased in popularity in Europe and Japan over the years. The third large IP that’s likely to be tapped is Lord of the Rings which was originally going to reskin Cartoon Lagoon but the Tolkien Estate wants a HP level of control and all new high level rides. The owned but mostly unused Sanrio properties (Hello Kitty, Badtz-maru, Keroppi, Gudetama, Aggrestsuko, etc...) will likely be the new theme park’s kiddy area. Also, there’s Godzilla, Classic Universal Monsters, Walking Dead, Jurassic World, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Hellboy, Madagascar, How to Train Your Dragon, Spongebob, etc... which are sitting as unused IPs that have good potential.

There's quite a lot that writer doesn't know about, but much of what you mention is the point of what was included in the OP: Universal continues to just rehash rides by changing the paint and theme, while Disney is expanding its number of rides (mostly).

Universal Orlando's biggest issue is that its landlocked with no room to expand, hence the buys of Wet n Wild and the additional acreage. Disney, though, still has room to build the fabled "5th park" in Orlando without needing to expand its footprint.

There's quite a lot that writer doesn't know about, but much of what you mention is the point of what was included in the OP: Universal continues to just rehash rides by changing the paint and theme, while Disney is expanding its number of rides (mostly).

Universal Orlando's biggest issue is that its landlocked with no room to expand, hence the buys of Wet n Wild and the additional acreage. Disney, though, still has room to build the fabled "5th park" in Orlando without needing to expand its footprint.

Disney doesn’t reskin rides? 4/5s of Epcot is just reskinned rides, the Ellen added to the Energy ride, Nemo added to Living Seas, Frozen added to Norway, Imagination reskinned not once but twice from the original with the most recent readding Figment in a “new” ride, 3 Caballeros added to Mexico, Disney And Pixar Shorts Festival is a reskin of Honey I Shrunk the Audience which was a reskin of Captain EO, Mission Space very faintly reskinned and with a new “mission” redone in 2017, etc... Even Spaceship Earth has been redone four times with complete changes to the set pieces/“scenes” although that one I will put midway between a complete redo and original. Literally the only original unreskinned rides are Test Track and the Land.

Last edited:
Since I was bored, I decided to go back over the last 10 years when (2008) which coincides with the first sale of Universal before the Comcast purchase in 2013 to semi-accurately compare the construction of rides at Disney and Universal although to be fair Disney has twice the number of parks.

So first let’s look at Universal since 2008 and break it down into Major Attractions (things like the Avatar and Harry Potter additions ), Minor Attractions (things like Jimmy Fallon at Universal and Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride at Disney) and Reskins of Existing Attractions. I’ll include those attractions that should be completed by next year ie Tron Lightcycles at Disney and both Bourne/Mission Impossible and the new Harry Potter hypercoaster.

Universal——> Disney

Major Attractions
HP Coaster (19) —> Tron Lightcycles (19)
Fast and Furious (18) —> Avatar River (17)
King Kong (16) —> Avatar Flight (17)
HP Gringotts (14) —> nothing
Transformers (11) —> nothing
HP Forbidden Journey (10) —> nothing
Rip Ride Rockit (09) —> nothing

Minor Attractions
Jimmy Fallon (17) —> Mickey & Minnie (19)
HP Hogwarts Express (14) —> Alien Saucers (18)
Kang & Kodos (13) —> Slinky Dog (18)
HP Ollivanders (10) —> Seven Dwarfs —> (17)
nothing —> Little Mermaid (12)

Reskins
Bourne/MI (19) —> Mission: Space (17)
Incredible Hulk (16) —> Frozen (16)
Despicable Me (14) —> Soarin: World (16)
Flight of the Hippogriff (10)—> Star Tours (11)
Dragon Challenge (10) —> Barnstormer (11)
Simpsons (08) —> Dinosaur (08)
nothing —> Nemo (08>

Disney is a new parent trap and then they continue to get many parents with sporting events hosted at ESPN WWoS. I can't remember the last time I went into a Disney theme park but the house of mouse hotels, Disney Springs and ESPN have taken a ton of my money the last 5 years from my kids playing at Disney Showcase soccer.

I enjoy Universal too but at the end of the day a new parent isn't taking their toddler to see Dr. Zeus and Harry Potter.

Since I was bored, I decided to go back over the last 10 years when (2008) which coincides with the first sale of Universal before the Comcast purchase in 2013 to semi-accurately compare the construction of rides at Disney and Universal although to be fair Disney has twice the number of parks.

So first let’s look at Universal since 2008 and break it down into Major Attractions (things like the Avatar and Harry Potter additions ), Minor Attractions (things like Jimmy Fallon at Universal and Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride at Disney) and Reskins of Existing Attractions. I’ll include those attractions that should be completed by next year ie Tron Lightcycles at Disney and both Bourne/Mission Impossible and the new Harry Potter hypercoaster.

Universal——> Disney

Major Attractions

Minor Attractions

Reskins
nothing —> Nemo (08>

Good list. You left off the new indoor Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster at EPCOT where Ellen's Universe of Energy was. Slated to open in 2021.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...of-the-galaxy-themed-roller-coaster-at-epcot/

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Good list. You left off the new indoor Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster at EPCOT where Ellen's Universe of Energy was. Slated to open in 2021.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...of-the-galaxy-themed-roller-coaster-at-epcot/

I only counted those rides that are 50+% complete and scheduled to open by next year as those are “real”. Disney has a long history of advertising rides that either never show up (Dragon/Mythical creature land at Animal Kingdom, Africa, Israeli, Russian and other advertised but failed Epcot pavilions, the various Wizard of Oz attractions and lands advertised over the years, the multi-ride Muppet Studios that ended up being condensed to one 4d movie spot, the multitude Roger Rabbit land that never happened, the reskin of Tomorrowland to a serious and scary areas, etc...). Disney has always announced these giant blue sky lands and awesome rides that then either quietly disappear before construction starts OR gets scaled back substantially like Muppet Studios to one 4d movie and the big revamp of Fantasyland with several new major attractions that got scaled back to a boring kiddie coaster (Seven Dwarfs) and two new themed food options (Beauty and the Beast).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_attractions_that_were_never_built

Conversely, I can’t think of any rides that Universal actually advertised that didn’t get built in some fashion (Rip Ride Rockit was scaled back from the original which would have been the tallest and longest coaster east of the Mississippi and gone into the Lagoon but that wasn’t done by Comcast but the owner before). There were some rides being worked on internally that didn’t get made like the D.C. land planned before getting Marvel, the Dark Universal Monster/Van Helsing, the planned reskinning of Cartoon Lagoon to LOTR, etc...).

But to be fair even though Disney has a history of exagerrating on rides and Universal has mostly stuck to its plans, any rides not near completion I didn’t include.

Parents of a 21, 18 and 14 year old and never been to Disney in my life. At this point, don't think I will. Been to Universal about four times, always enjoyed it. Disney is just too...MUCH. In every way.

Would probably feel different if I was local and could go at advantageous times, but putting together a Disney trip just always seemed unmanageable. Universal is just more my speed...stay at the on-site hotel, walk or ferry over, skip the lines, knock out one park each day, not spend the whole time in line, and leave feeling like you did it all. Still not cheap, but always felt like more bang for my buck/time. As I've gotten older I've got less an less tolerance for standing in lines.

stay at the on-site hotel, walk or ferry over, skip the lines, knock out one park each day, not spend the whole time in line, and leave feeling like you did it all.
1. I'm a big fan of Universal and Disney.
2. What you've described/implied as unique to Universal is precisely the same experience that Disney provides.
3. The two are far more alike than different.
4. I never understood the need to take sides (not to say that you necessarily did, Lou).

Disney is a new parent trap and then they continue to get many parents with sporting events hosted at ESPN WWoS. I can't remember the last time I went into a Disney theme park but the house of mouse hotels, Disney Springs and ESPN have taken a ton of my money the last 5 years from my kids playing at Disney Showcase soccer.

I enjoy Universal too but at the end of the day a new parent isn't taking their toddler to see Dr. Zeus and Harry Potter.

dr-zeus-t-shirt.jpg

1. I'm a big fan of Universal and Disney.
2. What you've described/implied as unique to Universal is precisely the same experience that Disney provides.
3. The two are far more alike than different.
4. I never understood the need to take sides (not to say that you necessarily did, Lou).

The last time I looked at Disney, which was admittedly probably 7-8 years ago, it was going to cost me significantly more for fast passes on top of staying at the hotel. Plus, because the fast passes weren't tied to number of guests in three hotels, I read that even those lines could be long. We stuck four people in a (admittedly quite expensive) hotel for two nights, and could skip the lines for three days. And since it wasn't a reservation system, if we liked the ride we could basically get right back on.

If Disney's aligned with that now, that's awesome. Plus, I don't know all the details of what I planned, I just remember it came out to like $2K for Universal vs. $5k for Disney. That might well have involved more time at Disney for the more money, but that's part of it for me - being able to take the kids, do it all in a weekend, and not feel like "I wish we would have gone to Animal Kingdom" "Why didn't we go to ...." etc. I just wasn't going to drop $5k and then hear about what they weren't able to do.

Also, to be totally fair, I was never in the wheelhouse of bringing an infant or toddler anyway, when I had toddlers, either park was way, way outside my budget, so I was never deciding on which one was best for a 2-year old. Started with probably 4-11 years old the first time, and a couple years ago when they were basically teenagers.

The last time I looked at Disney, which was admittedly probably 7-8 years ago, it was going to cost me significantly more for fast passes on top of staying at the hotel. Plus, because the fast passes weren't tied to number of guests in three hotels, I read that even those lines could be long. We stuck four people in a (admittedly quite expensive) hotel for two nights, and could skip the lines for three days. And since it wasn't a reservation system, if we liked the ride we could basically get right back on.

If Disney's aligned with that now, that's awesome. Plus, I don't know all the details of what I planned, I just remember it came out to like $2K for Universal vs. $5k for Disney. That might well have involved more time at Disney for the more money, but that's part of it for me - being able to take the kids, do it all in a weekend, and not feel like "I wish we would have gone to Animal Kingdom" "Why didn't we go to ...." etc. I just wasn't going to drop $5k and then hear about what they weren't able to do.

Also, to be totally fair, I was never in the wheelhouse of bringing an infant or toddler anyway, when I had toddlers, either park was way, way outside my budget, so I was never deciding on which one was best for a 2-year old. Started with probably 4-11 years old the first time, and a couple years ago when they were basically teenagers.

I do NOT understand people bringing infants and toddlers either. They get nothing out of it that they remember and it usually makes for an all around awful experience for the family AND the bystanders nearby. That’s what the grandparents, aunts and uncles, au pair, teen exchange students, and/or Mexican and Columbian livein housekeepers are for. 5-6 is where I would probably start. And I agree for the little rugrats 5-8 or 9, Disney has far more to do than Universal as does Legoland as Universal seems to be more focused on tweens through adults.

Now moving forward I think Universal’s third theme park will be incorporating a lot of little kid friendly IPs like the Sanrio universe, Nintendo and the younger skewing Universal and Nicktoons. Plus the outdated Kidzone will be getting revamped to Nintendo as well. So in the future I don’t think you’ll say Disney is the automatic kiddie winner but that’s probably 5 years from now before Universal has enough to be worth it for the 5-8 set.

Universal——> Disney

Major Attractions

Minor Attractions

Reskins
nothing —> Nemo (08>
I can't imagine caring so much about an amusement park.

I do NOT understand people bringing infants and toddlers either. They get nothing out of it that they remember and it usually makes for an all around awful experience for the family AND the bystanders nearby. That’s what the grandparents, aunts and uncles, au pair, teen exchange students, and/or Mexican and Columbian livein housekeepers are for. 5-6 is where I would probably start. And I agree for the little rugrats 5-8 or 9, Disney has far more to do than Universal as does Legoland as Universal seems to be more focused on tweens through adults.

Now moving forward I think Universal’s third theme park will be incorporating a lot of little kid friendly IPs like the Sanrio universe, Nintendo and the younger skewing Universal and Nicktoons. Plus the outdated Kidzone will be getting revamped to Nintendo as well. So in the future I don’t think you’ll say Disney is the automatic kiddie winner but that’s probably 5 years from now before Universal has enough to be worth it for the 5-8 set.
Colombian, unless you are talking about Columbia, SC which I am pretty sure is not a good option for live in housekeeper. LOL

I don't care about comparing the two parks, but my when my girls were toddlers, they had a great time at Disney. They absolutely loved seeing the characters when they were that age. It was also a relaxing time for us because we could go when school was in and it was not so crowded or hot.

I can't imagine caring so much about an amusement park.

“I can't imagine caring so much about an” insert thing says everyone who doesn’t care about said thing. Who cares about a bunch of adult men playing a game designed for children is the non football fan’s cry? Who cares about the Kardashians says every heterosexual guy? Who cares about what you care about?

Reactions: David Slaton
Colombian, unless you are talking about Columbia, SC which I am pretty sure is not a good option for live in housekeeper. LOL

Nah the fleeing from druglord kind, they’re supposed to be really watchful.

“From the Salt Mines of Nemocon to the ancient Incan road system, Colombia has some of the most gorgeous scenery in the world, equal parts natural and manmade. You will love hearing all about Colombia’s many surprises from a live-in Colombian nanny, who can describe in great detail what it’s like to live in this South American country. When you host an au pair from Colombia, you get a chance to make a rare cultural connection between your child.”

The adults that continue to hit up Disney World, once the kids are grown-up and out of the house, are the ones that scare me.

Reactions: Jax-Nole
“I can't imagine caring so much about an” insert thing says everyone who doesn’t care about said thing. Who cares about a bunch of adult men playing a game designed for children is the non football fan’s cry? Who cares about the Kardashians says every heterosexual guy? Who cares about what you care about?
There are plenty of things I don’t care about that I could imagine caring about. Photography, art, playing a musical instrument, wood work, cooking, soccer, I could go on and on. Writing detailed breakdowns of the history of rides at Universal compared to Disney isn’t one of those.

Hit Disney in 2016 right after Hurricance for 6 nights/7days, that was too long. Hit wall on Day 6. Wife planned it well so not much waiting but sure was pricey.

Disney can make even the toughest parents kick back, unchain their kids and have a few laughs. The magic cannot be denied, whatever park you're in.

california-family-crime.jpg

california-family-crime3.jpg

4832E84600000578-5275853-image-a-30_1516126944596.jpg

There are plenty of things I don’t care about that I could imagine caring about. Photography, art, playing a musical instrument, wood work, cooking, soccer, I could go on and on. Writing detailed breakdowns of the history of rides at Universal compared to Disney isn’t one of those.

Good to know.

Disney has been resting on their laurels, not really giving us much new for quite a while. It was Universal with the massive expansions and the success of Potter that has kicked Disney into high gear.

With that said, Universal needs to back off with the screen based attractions. The last time I was there with my son, we got so sick of 3d screens on every ride. I like them for a few rides, but it felt like every single ride was some screen based, 3d attraction any more.

With that said, Universal needs to back off with the screen based attractions. The last time I was there with my son, we got so sick of 3d screens on every ride. I like them for a few rides, but it felt like every single ride was some screen based, 3d attraction any more.
All 3-D screen rides suck, IMO.

All 3-D screen rides suck, IMO.
I wouldn't say they all do, but having so many of them be that way is annoying. For example, the Gringott's ride uses 3d screens, but combined with physical effects and is great. But when you combine that with the Minion Ride, Shrek, Fallon, Transformers, Simpsons, and Fast and the Furious, it all starts to become a bit overkill.

I wouldn't say they all do, but having so many of them be that way is annoying. For example, the Gringott's ride uses 3d screens, but combined with physical effects and is great. But when you combine that with the Minion Ride, Shrek, Fallon, Transformers, Simpsons, and Fast and the Furious, it all starts to become a bit overkill.
You forgot to Spiderman the ans King Kong too. I agree with you. It is way too much of the 3D screen ride.

You forgot to Spiderman the ans King Kong too. I agree with you. It is way too much of the 3D screen ride.
I was only listing the rides in the original park. IOA has them as well, but not as much in one park so it's more bearable there. All you have there that are screen based are Spiderman, King Kong, and Harry Potter. The rest use more physical effects. I think they're great, they just shouldn't be all the new stuff moving forward. Kong and Fast and the Furious are great as part of a much larger tram tour in LA, but on their own as standalone attractions, they just fall very short.

Disney doesn’t reskin rides? 4/5s of Epcot is just reskinned rides, the Ellen added to the Energy ride, Nemo added to Living Seas, Frozen added to Norway, Imagination reskinned not once but twice from the original with the most recent readding Figment in a “new” ride, 3 Caballeros added to Mexico, Disney And Pixar Shorts Festival is a reskin of Honey I Shrunk the Audience which was a reskin of Captain EO, Mission Space very faintly reskinned and with a new “mission” redone in 2017, etc... Even Spaceship Earth has been redone four times with complete changes to the set pieces/“scenes” although that one I will put midway between a complete redo and original. Literally the only original unreskinned rides are Test Track and the Land.

Never said Disney didn't, but they do have room to add things, and they have and they are.

BTW, Frozen was not a re-skin; nor was Spaceship Earth or MIssion Space a re-skin since their themes have remained the same. Sticking with EPCOT, Nemo is new to what was in that space before, Soarin' is new and not a re-skin.

Still, the most neglected theme park in WDW is getting new, additional stuff: Guardians of the Galaxy and Ratatouille -- something Universal cannot due because it's out of space, hence the new acreage purchases.

Last edited:
Disney has been resting on their laurels, not really giving us much new for quite a while. It was Universal with the massive expansions and the success of Potter that has kicked Disney into high gear.

Think about this: Potter was almost at Disney, but they screwed the pooch by not wanting JK to have a measure of control over the project ... big mistake. Had they landed Potter, Avatar would not be a thing at Animal Kingdom -- it was the consolation prize. Think of how must dust Universal would have been eating at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT