ADVERTISEMENT

This person I know has a wreck

jamnolfin

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Panama City Beach, Florida
Not a friend but somebody I know through a friend. She takes a left onto a 4 land road inside lane, her car has turned totally straight and the cop measured her as going 361 feet before a motorcycle runs into the back of her. The cop has him in excess of 100 mph, hits her, no helmet and does a flip over her car and lands in some high grass in the median and is still miraculously alive but totally screwed up. The news says she pulled out in front of a motorcycle making it sound like her fault, the guy has no insurance. People are saying on the replies in the paper that this girl needs to go to jail for almost killing their friend/family, "he was just going to get milk for his family". Her car is totaled and she had to pay almost $600 to get her car even though its totaled just so the insurance company will look at it to say its totaled, they gave her like 5 days or so before it would be scrapped. The cops have totally cleared her of any wrong doing. She's left with bills and devastated over what people have said about her and having issues with her insurance paying off in a timely manner There has been a GoFund account set up for him that says a car pulled out in front of him and the family is left to fend for themselves,blah, blah, blah. This has been repeated on a tv station more than once. I feel sorry for her, good girl doing the right thing and screwed over by the system. While this guy is getting free health care and sympathy for being a idiot.

Welcome to America.

See if you can find the police report online and post it in the comments section of any media perpetuating that BS story

There is a decent chance I'll end up involved in a wreck like this at some point in my life. My lake place is out in the sticks north of Tampa, in a very pretty stretch of land with lots of rolling hills & windy roads. The area is very popular with bicyclists and motorcycle riders who love the scenery but aren't overly familiar with the area. Included in that group are lots of young fools on rice rockets, who scream over said hills & around the curves.
The driveway at my lake place is just over the crest of one of the hills. I've had several near misses where I was starting to go & just in time caught a glimpse of a couple of the rockets coming over the hill at 80+. I'm sure that one day I'll pull out in front of one, or I'll pull out with the boat on the trailer & a couple of guys will decapitate themselves on the back of the boat.

There is a decent chance I'll end up involved in a wreck like this at some point in my life. My lake place is out in the sticks north of Tampa, in a very pretty stretch of land with lots of rolling hills & windy roads. The area is very popular with bicyclists and motorcycle riders who love the scenery but aren't overly familiar with the area. Included in that group are lots of young fools on rice rockets, who scream over said hills & around the curves.
The driveway at my lake place is just over the crest of one of the hills. I've had several near misses where I was starting to go & just in time caught a glimpse of a couple of the rockets coming over the hill at 80+. I'm sure that one day I'll pull out in front of one, or I'll pull out with the boat on the trailer & a couple of guys will decapitate themselves on the back of the boat.

If I knew this I would get a sign for the road that says "caution cars/trucks entering the road" while it probably won't slow them down it will be addition evidence in your favor when you get sued.

a. Your friend has really crappy insurance.
b. The bikers have pretty much won the war - no helmets needed by law, favorable news stories. Heck, the Central Florida area is full of ambulance chasers who were former bikers and specialize in representing bikers.

Reactions: tommynole3476
Ugh, would vote tomorrow to make motorcycles illegal if I could; and would be willing to give up on some issues I'm pretty passionate about if that's what it took too.

Seems like 90%+ of the people that drive them are abhorrent human beings, or somehow become one when they sit on a motorcycle.

How does a motorcycle rear ending a car total the car?

And sorry for your friend sounds like she's getting a crappy deal

People are saying on the replies in the paper that this girl needs to go to jail for almost killing their friend/family, "he was just going to get milk for his family".
This is where we are now. People don't need to know two sides of a story. They don't even need to know one whole side of a story. The certainly don't need to worry about the truth. It's easy to hop online and start yelling "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!" every time there's a story that seems bad within 5 seconds of seeing it.

Would be useful if you could post the link to the article/story so that we can go on and screw with the people leaving all the comments.

you don't happen to be off the Boyscout or Patterson do you?

I like to take my jeep down these roads when going to church on Sundays. Beautiful windy roads with equestrians and orange groves all around. Makes for a great Sunday drive.

There are always a couple motorcycles that will pass going speeds well over 100. There has to be at least 2-3 accidents a year involving these guys.

I wonder how long before the US starts having cameras mounted in vehicles like they have in Europe (dash and rear). Seems like they'd have helped in this situation.

Easy, the cost of fixing the damage done to the car outweighs the value of the car.

He was going 100mph, his bike is probably inseparable from the trunk of the car now.
Yeah, there was a guy in st Pete that ran a light and T-boned a cab at 100+. Wasn't a sport bike either. It was a small Honda commuter type bike. It taco'd the cab a bit and knocked it all the way over on its side. The bike basically disintegrated.

How does a motorcycle rear ending a car total the car?

And sorry for your friend sounds like she's getting a crappy deal

I'd lean towards Rhino or one of the other science/engineering types, but layman's guess. 100 MPH, even into a vehicle moving the same direction is going to impact with some pretty nasty kinetic energy (joules?) that would translate in to heat and melt/bend her car and frame.

Plus, what tommy said

Love riding motorcycles, but they are so darned dangerous. When I was at FSU I had one. I remember I was on this curvy road over near the soccer fields and realized I was watching them play as I rode and had gone into the other lane. Realized I was becoming too comfortable. Put it up for sale the next day.

A Doctor friend of mine calls motorcycle riders F.O.D.'s.
"Future Organ Donors"
He said organ harvesting from brain dead motorcycle riders is big business in Florida since the helmet law changed.

you don't happen to be off the Boyscout or Patterson do you?

I like to take my jeep down these roads when going to church on Sundays. Beautiful windy roads with equestrians and orange groves all around. Makes for a great Sunday drive.

There are always a couple motorcycles that will pass going speeds well over 100. There has to be at least 2-3 accidents a year involving these guys.

No, further north - to the west-northwest of Dade City.

Reactions: DanC78
1396497084000-USATSI-7551055-157441246-lowres.jpg

Love riding motorcycles, but they are so darned dangerous. When I was at FSU I had one. I remember I was on this curvy road over near the soccer fields and realized I was watching them play as I rode and had gone into the other lane. Realized I was becoming too comfortable. Put it up for sale the next day.

Very similar story with me. Had one for a couple years when I was in early 20s. I was very good about being responsible with it, but found myself a couple times weaving through traffic like it was no big deal, or looking down at my speedometer and would be doing a 100 without even knowing it. Motorcycles are deceptively fast.

I knew I was playing with fire at that point and decided to call it a day.

This is another reason I do Jeeps now. You can rip the top and doors off and take a much safer ride while still receiving the same open road feeling you get from a bike.

This is where we are now. People don't need to know two sides of a story. They don't even need to know one whole side of a story. The certainly don't need to worry about the truth. It's easy to hop online and start yelling "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!" every time there's a story that seems bad within 5 seconds of seeing it.

Yep...that would NEVER happen in the Locker Room!

Not completely sure, may have to search the great book of records, but this may be the longest a thread has gone that involved a story about a female friend and no one asked for pics... wow...

So, uhhh.... pics of your "friend of a friend" jam *wink-wink* *nudge-nudge*?

I'd lean towards Rhino or one of the other science/engineering types, but layman's guess. 100 MPH, even into a vehicle moving the same direction is going to impact with some pretty nasty kinetic energy (joules?) that would translate in to heat and melt/bend her car and frame.

Plus, what tommy said

attachment.php

Not completely sure, may have to search the great book of records, but this may be the longest a thread has gone that involved a story about a female friend and no one asked for pics... wow...

So, uhhh.... pics of your "friend of a friend" jam *wink-wink* *nudge-nudge*?

You don't want them, trust me.

a. Your friend has really crappy insurance.
b. The bikers have pretty much won the war - no helmets needed by law, favorable news stories. Heck, the Central Florida area is full of ambulance chasers who were former bikers and specialize in representing bikers.

I don't know about the favorable news stories but the no helmet thing is a good thing for all of us. Statistically helmets don't help the average motorcycle rider other than allowing them to continue on as a vegetable because it can save the head but not the neck. This means in the cases where a helmet would help the person survive the neck is likely blown... if they die on impact then it really doesn't cost us much of anything.

Also... you have to carry 10 grand in medical in order to legally ride with no helmet which means the rider is actually insured if riding legally which would have paid for the car the dude damaged.

In this case, the dude was above the law and it would be nice if the news would cover his arrest over what the OP is describing.

Not a friend but somebody I know through a friend. She takes a left onto a 4 land road inside lane, her car has turned totally straight and the cop measured her as going 361 feet before a motorcycle runs into the back of her. The cop has him in excess of 100 mph, hits her, no helmet and does a flip over her car and lands in some high grass in the median and is still miraculously alive but totally screwed up. The news says she pulled out in front of a motorcycle making it sound like her fault, the guy has no insurance. People are saying on the replies in the paper that this girl needs to go to jail for almost killing their friend/family, "he was just going to get milk for his family". Her car is totaled and she had to pay almost $600 to get her car even though its totaled just so the insurance company will look at it to say its totaled, they gave her like 5 days or so before it would be scrapped. The cops have totally cleared her of any wrong doing. She's left with bills and devastated over what people have said about her and having issues with her insurance paying off in a timely manner There has been a GoFund account set up for him that says a car pulled out in front of him and the family is left to fend for themselves,blah, blah, blah. This has been repeated on a tv station more than once. I feel sorry for her, good girl doing the right thing and screwed over by the system. While this guy is getting free health care and sympathy for being a idiot.

Sucks. Wait until John Morgan or his ilk get involved. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Can't she sue the motocyclist
Sounds like it would be throwing good money after bad.

I remember when Tallahassee had some bikers coming up to the Capitol asking the legislature to pass a law for special penalties against drivers that hit motorcycles. They drive like a bat out of hell and expect special laws for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT