ADVERTISEMENT

This year's early predictions

NaplesNole88

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2002
With all of FSU's early departures, Golson, and Cook, this year is crazy to predict. But, I'm going to give it a try. Here are my predictions for the year:

Texas St - W 42-17 - First, yes the Bobcats are a FBS team. Next, they were the only 7-5 bowl eligible team not to get an invite. They also averaged 34 points and 464 yards on offense per game last year. They return their jr QB and Sr RB. Not much on defense though. Whether its Golson, Maguire, or a combo of the two FSU's offense should put up some numbers. Not counting on Cook until October. But, Pender and Patrick probably rush for close to 100 yards each as Jimbo protects his QB and works in the new OL. Still, I expect several big plays from FSU's offense, and maybe a defensive score.

USF - W - 31-10 - USF was bad last year. So, maybe returning only 8 players from last year's starters is a good thing. Losing kicker Marvin Kloss might be their biggest loss. He would have been especially helpful against FSU, as I don't expect the Bulls to sniff the inside of FSU's 30 yard line very often. Let's face it, they're not going to win. So, avoiding a shut out would be nice. USF is probably a bit more stout on defense than Tex St, and probably not as good on offense. So, expect a little bit lower scoring game. Assuming Golson is the QB, I would expect Jimbo to try to see how much Golson can handle, so he can work on adjustments before facing BC 6 days later on the road.

Boston College - W - 24-14 - BC replaces 13 starters, their OC, QB, 5 OL, and look like their best receiving threat, TE/WR Dan Cimmins is off the team too. Their new QB Darius Wade only threw 8 passes last year. But, they do return their RB, and their defense is normally sound. They beat USC at home last year, and FSU seems to have trouble in Boston. The game is on a Friday night, and all of BC's replacing sounds similar to FSU. The big difference is who we are replacing with though. If BC's OL gels early in the season their running game could pose a problem for FSU who is paper thin at LB. An injury their or at RB could be crippling to FSU, as are probably still a month away from getting Cook back at this point in the season, and our QB whomever it is will not have found his form by game 3. I think both teams try their best not to turn the ball over. But, Wade will have to throw the ball at some time, and his in experience will show against FSU's secondary. I could see FSU blowing out BC, squeeking by BC, or narrowly losing depending upon how things go early in the season.

Wake Forest - W - 35-7 - Wake is bad, and unlike Wake teams of the past it isn't loaded with RS Jr's and Sr's. Hopefully at this point we have stayed away from the injury bug at thin positions, and the QB position is starting to solidify. If Golson can learn to drop back the offense will be much more dynamic, because we all know he can run and extend passing plays. Unfortunately, not many of his highlights show him planting and throwing. Patrick learning to pass block by this point in the season will be key too. By this game I am also going to be watching Lawing's pass rush. Wake allowed 48 sacks last year. If Sweat is healthy by this game we could start to have reason for excitement. While this game may seem like a laugher, it could be very telling about the remainder of the season.

miami - W - 28-21 - Kaaya is legit at QB. But, the good news is that um's best player from last year, RB Duke Johnson is gone, as are 6 other NFL draftees, um doesn't have the talent to replace those guys like FSU does. Yearby is a good one at RB. Stacy Coley didn't live up to expectations last year, but the canes are fairly deep at WR to try to help replace Dorsett. They lost 3 OL. That will be an issue as Kaaya is not that mobile. If FSU can mount a sustained running game against um it won't be a close game. um's secondary is the strength of its defense, and could cause problems, especially if Golson or Maguire aren't protective of the ball. Not sure if we have Cook back by this game. If not, then hopefully Pender is still healthy. By this time Patrick should be in form. This could be a classic FSU/um game that comes down to a FG. Aguayo won't miss tough, and I don't think it's quite that close anyway.

Louisville - W - 21- 17 The Cardinals probably have their QB situation figured out this game, but are still replacing their 3 top WR's. They will have already played Auburn and Clemson, and essentially have 3 weeks to prepare for FSU, as they have a bye the week before and Samford the week before that. Meanwhile, we will have just come off the miami game and play at GT the following game. I think Louisville mounts a running game. If tehy don't turn the ball over they could steal a win at Doak. Their front 7 on defense is formidable, and they have safety Josh Harvey-Clemons and CB Shaq Wiggins, who practiced with Louisville last season after they were dismissed at Georgia. Again, FSU's QB's need to protect the ball, and we need to be able to run the ball. This game scared me, but overall we have better talent, and are playing at home. We should win, but just don't know. Having Cook or not could easily be the difference.

at GT - L - 35 - 27 In order for FSU to win, Jaques Patrick has to dominate. If he has learned to pass protect by this game, and can stay on the field, I don't think GT has an answer for him. FSU can not afford to turn the ball over and get behind GT. If Patrick runs wild and keeps the GT offense off the field and FSU defense rested we can come out okay. Unfortunately, GT has Thoas back at QB and the game is in Altanta. If we get behind and have to pass that just plays into GT's hands. Only way I see us winning this game is if guys really develop quickly at numerous positions, like Sweat, James, Golson, Patrick/Pender/Cook, and OL. Having Matthew Thomas back at this point would be great, but his return doesn't appear to be on schedule.

Syracuse - W 51-3 - The Orange played us tough last year. But, the Noles probably takeout some frustrations from the week before. By now I think we are starting to see what we will have for 2016. If somehow Golson masters the offense quicker than anyone could expect, and we come out of GT with a win, maybe just maybe the Noles have a Heisman Trophy candidate, because he will definitely put up numbers on Syracuse. It's intriguing to think what Jimbo might be able to do with him. It's crazy though, because I could easily see a scenario where Maguire is the starter.

at Clemson - L - 28 - 17 - Watson and Death Valley will be too much for FSU unless the Noles grow up in a lot of places in a hurry, and we get Cook and Thomas back by this game. Well, all of those have to happen but some combination of it needs to happen. Clemson loses about as much as FSU does, but it doesn't replace its QB. Then again, Maguire beat a much better Tiger defense last year than they will put on the field this year. Long/short, Clemson has the better QB play and that will probably be the difference.

NC St - W - 31 - 13 - We got a scare from NC St last year, but this year is at Doak. They return their running game, QB and 7 on defense. They lose players on both lines. FSU should wear them down. But, with our linebacker situation I fear any team that can run the ball. Even so, FSU's massive amount of talent will have too much experience at this point in the season to lose this game.

Chattanooga - W - 51 - 0 - I'll be honest, who knows anything about Chattanooga? They are a FCS school. It's the week before the gator game, players will be looking to pad stats, and coaches will be looking to build depth. What other games are on this week?

florida - W - 31-10 The misery going on in Hogtown is glorious. Their defense takes a step back this year without Muschamp. VH III is great, and the rest of the defense is good, just not as good as last year. The offense was atrocious last year. It's not going to get any better. The OL situation is as bad as it could possibly be. If I was Harris or Grier I would ask to red shirt, or better yet transfer like Driskel and Mornhinweg did. I see 5-7 for the crocs this year, possibly 4-8. Looks like at least 3-4 years before the crocs become relevant. Gotta love it.

Reactions: cb1noles
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News