ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Ride Alongs.....

1clermontnole

Seminole Insider
Sep 23, 2011
Clermont, FL
our players and coaches stepping outside the box and participating in some ride alongs with local law enforcement, fire departments and paramedics..... I think in today's hectic world that this would be a good thing for the Tallahassee community to get to know each other more. The players and coaches could use their platforms to help their communities come together and get through these tough times making Tally a even better place. IMO this should be done more across our country and is done in most counties to some extent. And depending on how you look at this, with the new laws (players getting paid) in Florida it certainly might be something for a player to think about........ fyi......Shaquille O Neal has done many ride alongs with South Florida Law enforcement....

Go Noles!

our players and coaches stepping outside the box and participating in some ride alongs with local law enforcement, fire departments and paramedics..... I think in today's hectic world that this would be a good thing for the Tallahassee community to get to know each other more. The players and coaches could use their platforms to help their communities come together and get through these tough times making Tally a even better place. IMO this should be done more across our country and is done in most counties to some extent. And depending on how you look at this, with the new laws (players getting paid) in Florida it certainly might be something for a player to think about........ fyi......Shaquille O Neal has done many ride alongs with South Florida Law enforcement....

Go Noles!

I like the premise of the idea, but the liability issues with college students might be too much to overcome.

Reactions: 1clermontnole
Love it. They are looking at the big picture and focusing completely on unity! We are fortunate to have some great leadership (coaches & players)!! Prayers and Blessings Up!!

Go Noles!
Commendable ... a positive and constructive move for the players, the community and the police officers.

Did them in college as part of my course work. Some departments do not allow them period, some do. It is an interesting perspective, but they will be limited as to what calls they respond to.

Typically, at my agency they signed a waiver.
Went to any called the leo decided to plus specific calls for the sector that I was assigned to patrol, unless I was a float car which basically runs all over the area.
Most of my ride alongs came away with ,"I could never do your job".
They were all positive experiences for the ride along.
Also if it was a risky situation we would just tell the ride along to remain in the vehicle.

I think it's an awesome idea. Did multiple ride alongs with Miami-Dade county. Just gives you tremendous respect for what these police officers deal with on a regular basis. It's not always bad guys robbing houses. Went to some calls about battered children and it was just awful. The cop I was with handled it like a pro on the call and just started sobbing in his car after. Bottled it in and went to next call like nothing happened.

Typically, at my agency they signed a waiver.
Went to any called the leo decided to plus specific calls for the sector that I was assigned to patrol, unless I was a float car which basically runs all over the area.
Most of my ride alongs came away with ,"I could never do your job".
They were all positive experiences for the ride along.
Also if it was a risky situation we would just tell the ride along to remain in the vehicle.

First of all, thank you for your service to our community and thank you for doing a job that most could or would not do. Very few jobs your families worry about you coming home alive and policing is one.
I did 7 years as a Correctional Officer in Florida. 2 in State and 5 in County. We had many young kids come in to visit the jail with the Scared Straight program. It seemed to work very well.
The things you see and hear are very eye opening. Yes, I've been scared and afraid for my life but I survived. But, one day I decided that I couldn't do that job anymore. The combination of nights, weekends and stress of dealing with the inmates and the other Officers was enormous. People don't understand what Mindset it takes to maintain a Pod of Inmates... and to be able to turn that off when you leave your work.after 12 hours is not easy. You had to be a Alpha Male and show no fear or you would be swallowed up. Same with the Police Department.....

Go Noles!

Go Noles!
Love this idea... and if memory serves me right we did some of that during the Bowden era.

First of all, thank you for your service to our community and thank you for doing a job that most could or would not do. Very few jobs your families worry about you coming home alive and policing is one.
I did 7 years as a Correctional Officer in Florida. 2 in State and 5 in County. We had many young kids come in to visit the jail with the Scared Straight program. It seemed to work very well.
The things you see and hear are very eye opening. Yes, I've been scared and afraid for my life but I survived. But, one day I decided that I couldn't do that job anymore. The combination of nights, weekends and stress of dealing with the inmates and the other Officers was enormous. People don't understand what Mindset it takes to maintain a Pod of Inmates... and to be able to turn that off when you leave your work.after 12 hours is not easy. You had to be a Alpha Male and show no fear or you would be swallowed up. Same with the Police Department.....

Go Noles!
thank you as well. Could not agree more to all you typed. The alpha male part too!
On the street after dark and sadly some areas during the day you had to be in charge the minute you arrived on scene.
For me my day came after 26 yrs 11 and a half hrs into my shift getting a call that was going to take 3 hrs on scene than 2 hrs booking if an arrest was made. Called wife and vented HARD!
She set me down next day and basically said the job was killing me.
Called my Lt. Met with him got 2 wks vacation and then drove cruiser turned everything in and have not been back to those bldgs since. That was 7 yrs ago.
Stay safe my friend, and yes GO NOLES!

Sounds like a great idea. I would love to have had some of you guys in my cockpit for a takeoff/departure and the approach and landing.

I would have done it in a heart beat.... My dream is to fly in a F-22.... that's it.... no jumping out of a Airplane or anything else.... Just ride along in a F-22.....

Reactions: nips 9
I’ve heard this is a concept being vetted by the President on a nationwide basis. Having community leaders and citizens ride along. It’s amazing how much a persons attitude changes when you can see a different perspective

And that is why I liked "Live PD". It was essentially a ride-a-long and gave a great perspective to what was going on.

Sounds like a great idea. I would love to have had some of you guys in my cockpit for a takeoff/departure and the approach and landing.

Always been my dream. Inner ear problems derailed that real quick.

Go Noles!
That's a great idea for players and/or coaches to get a perspective from a different view. Could be a very maturing aspect.

I’m trying to picture Nick Saban, after working a 65-70 hour week, spending a few hours riding in a fire truck or cop car. Unless it were some publicity stunt, I doubt it would happen. It sounds good in theory but I can’t imagine a coaches heart being in it.

I’m trying to picture Nick Saban, after working a 65-70 hour week, spending a few hours riding in a fire truck or cop car. Unless it were some publicity stunt, I doubt it would happen. It sounds good in theory but I can’t imagine a coaches heart being in it.

I agree if we had Nick Saban that he probably would decline. But I do believe that other coaches might entertain the idea with a player in tandem. Maybe Norvell and a QB, O'dell and DT, Fuller and a DE and so forth.

I agree if we had Nick Saban that he probably would decline. But I do believe that other coaches might entertain the idea with a player in tandem. Maybe Norvell and a QB, O'dell and DT, Fuller and a DE and so forth.
Norvell is a young man, he’s probably up for anything. O’dell might want to go home and sit in the recliner like me, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT