ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal good for FSU?

GvilleNole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
May 31, 2001
The portal has winners and losers just like everything else in life. It's starting to shake itself out and we are seeing how it works. The portal with no guardrails is bad for college football overall no doubt BUT THIS POST IS JUST ABOUT FSU.

POSITIVES
1. Our coaches seem to be very good at creating a player friendly atmosphere for kids that want to work really really hard and be successful on the field. Kids come here and it feels different, they say that over and over. I think it is the coaches and the culture / atmosphere in part but I think it is also very much the players we recruit also. The kids .. we have avoided the difficult super talented complainers. We mostly have good kids and .. coaches, hard workers .. ones that want to push themselves and others .. that is our dominate culture. This helps greatly in the portal. Less players want to leave fsu and more players want to come here. If our coach was a really good coach but a first class D!@k .. some/more players would leave. in the end this is huge advantage for fsu being a fun plays to play.

2a. Our coaches can recruit and they can sell .. kids come here and say lots of great things about our staff .. even the analyst and GAs and others
We seem to be doing very well in the portal and I think that will continue. The way we do this is working our system is working. I love how they talk about coach bartow and coach Maddy or coach McCormack or coach corey fuller coach Grady and coach Ratliff .. very very much a organized team effort. The first time I heard coach bartow I would like ?? then I read a guy talking about coach grady? I am list the positive as two different points .. first is 2a the coaches personalities and people skills and
2b. is the coaches team work and our recruiting / portal effort system in place .. very well thought out and organized

3. You can lose good players in the portal. UGA and bama get really good players, they coach them up and in a 1-3 years they are really to be a college star or really good player. if the players is behind someone else really good they could leave even if guaranteed a starting spot the next year. We do not have that issues the tier one schools do. What I am saying is most likely we are not losing the mims, verse, wrights and the J Johnson we are getting them.

4. Maybe I am wrong on this but I think our coaches, players, staff are looking at potential transfers all the time. I think they have indirectly been talking with mims high school coaches and team mates .. maybe family for over a year or two. Not recruiting and trying to steal the kid but simply if they hear a kids is thinking about leaving, FSU is making absolutely sure the kids knows we are interested and doing some of the ground work ahead of time. Again, we are simply ahead of most of the others.

5. we can shed dead weight easier. We are organized and have lost of lists. We are good at talent evaluation and potential. We have meetings and tell some kids they are NEVER going to start or never good to even make the two deep. We use the portal to help find them a new home.

Summary - we are good at this, much better than most. Michigan State head coach Mel Tucker is very good at this .. not sure what he does and how he does it. Like fsu they are really good at this. Again some schools are much much better than others.

NEGATIVES
1. Our portal weakness, some say is money. I do not think we even plan on competing with the 4 or 5 Big League schools they are all in on recruiting. Honestly they were all in as far as money staff and effort 3or 4 years before nil. I'm not sure much has changed at this point. The same big recruiters are the same NIL guys. Clemson lost all of its coaches and so did OU .. so maybe they are in the game .. maybe not time will tell. Maybe a few more join the club but at this point Georgia Ohio State Alabama Texas A&M we're kind of in another League. Maybe Texas in the league maybe u s c .. but they are not yet. I am not sure this hurts us to much in the portal was Jahmyr Gibbs coming here even if we had the $$.I think money at this point is only a weakness if we want to compete with Georgia Ohio State Alabama Texas A&M.

2. a kids like brownlee has a hissy fit and simply leaves. I think with our culture we have less losses that other teams.

3. we coach up a kid like Robinson or Cooper and they leave. It has not happened yet but it will. More likely a bethune leaves than a cooper or thomas or home grown kids we recruited coached up and help make him who he is. Yes we will also a lose a Tre' McKitty but we honestly do not have a lot of low character kids on the team. overall not a huge issue to date

4. does not effect the team but it is worth mentioning that most kids that enter the portal NEVER find a home.

Summary
The portal with no guardrails is bad for college football. But at this point the portal is a positive for FSU

please add to my initial thoughts?
@iraschoffel
maybe you could talk to the coaches and make this a real article?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News