ADVERTISEMENT

TRAVEL INSURANCE

wbnolefan

Star Player
Aug 23, 2002
anybody ever filed a successful claim? Just heard of a guy who had a big trip planned, made it to his destination and picked up a nasty stomach bug and spent 12 hours in the ER getting IV fluids etc. Wondering if they would cover and reimburse a portion of that trip since he missed probably 70% of the experience

My in-laws used it without issue a few years back. They were scheduled on an Alaskan cruise and had to cancel at the last minute due to an emergency eye surgery for my FIL.

Had it for a big trip. Got terribly sick and had to cancel. The hoops that they make you jump through when filing a claim were insane (and ultimately I gave up). Would not recommend.

Had it for a big trip. Got terribly sick and had to cancel. The hoops that they make you jump through when filing a claim were insane (and ultimately I gave up). Would not recommend.

Surely an ER bill from the city you were visiting would suffice?

Bought it for a trip to South Africa a few years ago through AMEX. It ended up paying off as I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. They covered our additional hotel stay after I was discharged. They also covered some costs that my health insurance ended up not covering. Bottom line, the health insurance was a much bigger issue than the travel insurance. You just need to research to find out what they will/will not cover.

Someone in my group is having to cancel their portion of the ski trip we have planned in March. I made her pay her portion first, then file the claim. I was not getting stuck with an additional $700 tacked on to my trip! Hopefully, she will get it all back. Otherwise, not my problem.

My in-laws purchased it and had to cancel their trip due to a medical emergency. They got reimbursed fairly easily. I guess it just depends on the company and the policy you buy. As everything in life, you get what you pay for.

anybody ever filed a successful claim? Just heard of a guy who had a big trip planned, made it to his destination and picked up a nasty stomach bug and spent 12 hours in the ER getting IV fluids etc. Wondering if they would cover and reimburse a portion of that trip since he missed probably 70% of the experience

Depending on where he went, isn't that part of the experience?

I have never purchased it due to all the bad reviews, hassles of getting money back as well as my opinion of insurance in general. They are betting you have no issues, you are betting you have problems. Whose side am I on?

always get it. had to use it last year on a cruise. keep all receipts for reimbursement. always carry it esp overseas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT