ADVERTISEMENT

Trip to Ireland- rental car

scseminoles06

Freshman
Gold Member
Nov 14, 2006
The wife and I are going to London and dublin and will be driving to Cork for a few days. Any recommendations as far as a rental car. Does our insurance cover us. Is it a good idea to purchase insurance from rental agency?

Any suggestions for places to see in London and dublin would be appreciated also.

The wife and I are going to London and dublin and will be driving to Cork for a few days. Any recommendations as far as a rental car. Does our insurance cover us. Is it a good idea to purchase insurance from rental agency?

Any suggestions for places to see in London and dublin would be appreciated also.
get insurance that covers TIRES.

Driving in Ireland's countryside can be nerve racking. Roads are narrow and often bounded by STONE walls, so be alert.

Also, when paying for the rental, be ready to....
tenor.gif

The drive to Cork from Dublin is easy enough. Mainly their version of an interstate.

Why do you need a car though? Just take the train and don't be burdened with a car while you're there - parking, driving on the other side of the road, risk, etc. Why bother with it?

Also, in my opinion Cork is nothing special at all. In the spirit of Tribe, I daresay change your travel plans and go to Galway instead. MUCH better time there! And again no need for a car. Just take a train from Dublin.

The drive to Cork from Dublin is easy enough. Mainly their version of an interstate.

Why do you need a car though? Just take the train and don't be burdened with a car while you're there - parking, driving on the other side of the road, risk, etc. Why bother with it?

Also, in my opinion Cork is nothing special at all. In the spirit of Tribe, I daresay change your travel plans and go to Galway instead. MUCH better time there! And again no need for a car. Just take a train from Dublin.
This.
Cork bad
Galway good

Goto cliffs of moher

I rented a car and got upgraded to a Jag. Roads were narrow but you get used to it

Reactions: HulaNole
Ill be renting a car next month from Dublin airport for exploring the first day. Drop off downtown and then just train the rest of my stay.

Probably drive to newgrange and malahide first.

Im not too worried about their rental outfits/roads, compared to other countries in Europe.

Agree with Galway and also seeing the Cliffs of Moher.

Another recommendation would be the Dingle Peninsula. Spent a day on the Aran Islands also which was a great trip (ferry out of Galway Bay). Sligo was nice too.

Have a great time in Cork but I only spent one day/night in Cork so can't help much with a recommendation there.

Spent two weeks in Ireland but never rented a car so can not help there. Just took trains, buses, tour, walked, etc.

The wife wants to do cork, but we are doing the tour through limerick and cliffs of moher. Keep the recommendations coming.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Use a credit card with international travel insurance services to book the rental car. I posted this in the Costco VISA thread last year but I used it to pay for a rental in the UK last spring and was hit in a parking lot. Made the insurance claim when I returned to the states and got the refund a few days later with no problems.

Strongly recommend a GPS. Road signs often in gaelic.

My last time there I went north and had an absolute blast in Belfast. Terrific city, couple with a trip to newcastle to play royal county down....

We drove the ring of Kerry, you just have to accept the fact that you will one day die, and if you accept that fact, you can relax on irish roads.

Definitely, whatever you do get an automatic.

This past summer - we drove about 800 miles over the course of 3 weeks

-Get a GPS via the rental car place (as there are limited road signs in the Country) or download one of the apps that doesn't require Wifi (and download the maps prior)
-Study up on Round Abouts, never seen so many in my life
-I would probably get the insurance offered by the rental car place - as they have some crazy accident reimbursement laws over there
-Contemplate the upgrade offer from the rental car place - our was either a Renault with 80,000 miles or for $28 more a day it was an Audi with 10,000 miles on it
-Watch out for sheep in the road in the countryside

Reactions: HulaNole
Another endorsement for a satnav from the rental or something that recognizes the proper local roads if you're going through the countryside. Once we were routed through a countryside area where my maps phone app was routing me on a footpath behind a house as the quickest route. Another time I got re-routed to a dirt road that only had space for passing cars about every quarter mile and it was backed up for like 3 miles.

We drove the ring of Kerry, you just have to accept the fact that you will one day die, and if you accept that fact, you can relax on irish roads.

Ring of Kerry was the one place I didn't drive. We took a bus tour. And I'm sooooo glad we did. It was the most relaxing day of the vacation for me by far. Such a beautiful place. Saw the sheepdog trainer guy, women's view, cow and calf, etc.

I didn't really enjoy Moher. I liked the cliffs at Ardmore better. There's also a nice restaurant along the way with a great view. The walk at Moher is very crowded and gives me the heebeejeebees just looking back at the pictures. it's super crowded, too and made me nervous the whole time.

Agree on Dingle.. beautiful place.

Reactions: docb76 and HulaNole

Been there several times.....You MUST have a gps if you are going out into the boondocks (which is most of Ireland). The 'signage' is horrible, even the locals complain about lack of signs (ALL signs, directional signs, street signs, etc.) Or you can do what we did on our first trip without a gps, get lost a LOT and then stop in at a pub and have the inhabitants argue amongst themselves for 10 minutes (at least) as to the best way to get somewhere. At least the draft Guinness was good. Also, get ALL the insurance you can. The left side of virtually all rental cars look like a pissed-off tiger clawed the hell out of them, the roads are so narrow you WILL be running up against the hedgerows (if you're lucky, if you're not, the rock walls will get you). When we got the rental car and noticed how beat up it was, we had the agent note it on the contract - after she gave us a look of "What???" IOW, if you DON'T have the insurance you will be paying for everyone else's damage. While I have greatly enjoyed our trips over there (the wife has relatives on the west coast) you REALLY better mind your p's and q's on the narrow back roads as often the clearances are TINY. I've driven all over the world and am a decent driver (did SCCA stuff back in the day) but I would not recco driving in the boonies of Ireland unless you have a gps, good nerves and quick reflexes (have had to bail out into driveways,etc a couple of times when a tour bus took up half of MY lane (and the speed limits are often ridiculously high for the conditions). You'll be fine as long as you avoid the temptation to take your eyes off the road at the wrong time (which is hard to do as the scenery is amazing, as is the people and the food). Enough said, you get the picture. Have fun!!
ps Go to the Beatty Library near Dublin Castle, voted European museum of the year but little known, a cabbie insisted we go there and we're very glad we did. Also the Guinness Factory is fun.

Been there several times.....You MUST have a gps if you are going out into the boondocks (which is most of Ireland). The 'signage' is horrible, even the locals complain about lack of signs (ALL signs, directional signs, street signs, etc.) Or you can do what we did on our first trip without a gps, get lost a LOT and then stop in at a pub and have the inhabitants argue amongst themselves for 10 minutes (at least) as to the best way to get somewhere. At least the draft Guinness was good. Also, get ALL the insurance you can. The left side of virtually all rental cars look like a pissed-off tiger clawed the hell out of them, the roads are so narrow you WILL be running up against the hedgerows (if you're lucky, if you're not, the rock walls will get you). When we got the rental car and noticed how beat up it was, we had the agent note it on the contract - after she gave us a look of "What???" IOW, if you DON'T have the insurance you will be paying for everyone else's damage. While I have greatly enjoyed our trips over there (the wife has relatives on the west coast) you REALLY better mind your p's and q's on the narrow back roads as often the clearances are TINY. I've driven all over the world and am a decent driver (did SCCA stuff back in the day) but I would not recco driving in the boonies of Ireland unless you have a gps, good nerves and quick reflexes (have had to bail out into driveways,etc a couple of times when a tour bus took up half of MY lane (and the speed limits are often ridiculously high for the conditions). You'll be fine as long as you avoid the temptation to take your eyes off the road at the wrong time (which is hard to do as the scenery is amazing, as is the people and the food). Enough said, you get the picture. Have fun!!
ps Go to the Beatty Library near Dublin Castle, voted European museum of the year but little known, a cabbie insisted we go there and we're very glad we did. Also the Guinness Factory is fun.
Do NOT drive. Take the public transport, it is quite good, and you will have a far more relaxing trip.

Good luck.

Do NOT drive. Take the public transport, it is quite good, and you will have a far more relaxing trip.

Good luck.
Unfortunately, a lot of the best stuff is off the beaten path and public transport, if it even goes there (usually doesn't) will use up WAY more of your time than you'd like. Just get a gps, get a narrow car with auto trans, and have at it. After a week or so you'll be used to it! :~) :~)

Be ready to drive on the opposite side.

We rented car out of dublin then went to galaway. Really enjoyed it there. College/fishing town. From there we went to cliffs and over to limerick. Neat castle/fort there. Then went back to dublin for couple of days. There are a lot of pubs and whiskey distrilleries on side roads....

Guiness factory in dublin was really neat. 360 bar at the top with great view of the city. There is also a pretty good history museum downtown.

The beer is a lot better over there but the food was so so....

The beer is a lot better over there but the food was so so....
When did you go?

I like Guinness as much as anyone, and the Storehouse and 7th Floor 360-degree view IS awesome. A definite must-do.

But to say that Ireland is making better beer than the US (or that anyone is making better beer than the US) hasn't been true for a long time. This is the golden age of beer and all of the best stuff (with a very select few exceptions) is brewed here now.

NOTE: And I say that as I'm preparing to go to two places in a few weeks that seemingly everyone considers "The Home(s) of Beer" - Munich & Prague. Definitely used to be true...just not true anymore.

Les,
Well said on the beer. When I head to UK/Ireland beer is not somewhere I expect to be impressed. Id actually rank UK pretty low on the craft beer scene. They like bland beers that are evolving much slower than other parts of Europe.

For me only Belgium rivals the best USA regions on beer, and still exceeds them based on proximity.

When did you go?

I like Guinness as much as anyone, and the Storehouse and 7th Floor 360-degree view IS awesome. A definite must-do.

But to say that Ireland is making better beer than the US (or that anyone is making better beer than the US) hasn't been true for a long time. This is the golden age of beer and all of the best stuff (with a very select few exceptions) is brewed here now.

NOTE: And I say that as I'm preparing to go to two places in a few weeks that seemingly everyone considers "The Home(s) of Beer" - Munich & Prague. Definitely used to be true...just not true anymore.

Honestly, I’ve never been a huge fan of German beers. They’re better than the p%*%water commercial American beers like Bud, Coors, etc..., but wouldn’t be in the top ten beers at any one local American craft brewery. I agree with you that the Belgians are probably the only ones keeping up with America now that we’re back seriously in the game and that most of the British Isles beer is generic and uninspired. But I’ll tell you one area that doesn’t get a lot of credit yet puts out good beer for the most part, Australia and New Zealand. They’re similar to the British Isles in that almost every pub either makes their own or contracts with a small local brewery, but unlike the Irish/Scottish/British/Welsh varieties they’re almost universally good. And no, you can’t find Fosters in Australia except in restaurants in big cities catering to Americans. That’s a junk “American Adjunct” lager they sell to us not to themselves.

Definitely getting to New Zealand in a few years for a brewery tour, the small amount ive had are intriguing!
I also think German beer is nothing special but they have mastered their few styles that everyone replicates there.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

My brother's been twice in a rental car - County Kerry both times, which is ancestral for us. He would agree on the automatic.

Reactions: docb76
When did you go?

I meant to say guinness and beamish tasted better than the version over here. Plus we didin't wake up with bad headaches from the draft beers. Threre are a lot of great beer choices in usa.

I meant to say guinness and beamish tasted better than the version over here. Plus we didin't wake up with bad headaches from the draft beers. Threre are a lot of great beer choices in usa.

I lived in Germany for four years and consider this correct.

At one point the beers in Germany were far superior to the states but with the explosion of craft brewers here to me it’s just not true anymore.

FYI Munchen has a cool WW2 walking tour that meets by the clock in the new city hall on the luisenplatz

This. FRESH Guinness is great (such as right at the factory), but it doesn't travel well (sort of like fresh bread).

Reactions: docb76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT