ADVERTISEMENT

True Detective starts tonight

I really have my doubts that they can recapture the magic if the first one. I also have doubts about Vince Vaughn in a serious role.

Will be watching!

I have absolutely no doubt Vaughn will be awesome in a serious role.

As for comparing this season to the first, the beauty of an entirely new cast and story means you don't have to.

I really don't like any of the casting choices in this season. Taylor Kitch (Battleship, John Carter) is a terrible actor. Not a fan of
Rachel McAdams, Vince Vaughn had been meh the past decade or more. Same goes for Colin Farrell for that matter.

I'll definitely watch, but I have very low expectations. Can't be any worse than The Leftovers and I watched all of that crap fest.

I really don't like any of the casting choices in this season. Taylor Kitch (Battleship, John Carter) is a terrible actor. Not a fan of
Rachel McAdams, Vince Vaughn had been meh the past decade or more. Same goes for Colin Farrell for that matter.

I'll definitely watch, but I have very low expectations. Can't be any worse than The Leftovers and I watched all of that crap fest.

You must really had to torture yourself for some reason to watch all of the leftovers. That was a crapfest.

I am looking forward to Ray Donovan returning and to the West World series. One Of my favorite movies growing up.

You must really had to torture yourself for some reason to watch all of the leftovers. That was a crapfest.

I am looking forward to Ray Donovan returning and to the West World series. One Of my favorite movies growing up.

Part of it was because I was traveling for work and had nothing better to watch. It was terrible and such a waste of time.

Been drinking at the beach all day, but I thought it was great; intense pace, dark theme, solid character development.

Rachel Mcadams bootie, hot latina begging for the d, drunk haggard Colin saying he's gonna eff the bully's dad with his mom's headless corpse, russian guy with the tiny giraffe from the commercial. Ending with 3 major characters randomly meeting at city councilman's posed, dead body. Yep, going to be good.

Reactions: Joe-sceola
Big problem I see potentially happening is too many main characters to develop. Part of the beauty of the first one was how the two main characters interacted with each other, right from the first episode.

Worried that time limitations will work against the show in trying to get each character enough screen time.

Solid point, but they jumped right in there off the bat with Colin's character and touched enough on the others, ending with 3 of the main cops looking each other in the eye. I actually wouldn't mind the show delving into the characters' effed up lives criss crossing in a short time frame, than a show trying to scramble to finish a forced, grand scheme story arc with a deus ex ending.

Reactions: HulaNole
Wait...was the ruskie lawyer actually the guy that raped Colin's wife, who had their "kid" that he's bustin balls on, and who's supposedly been killed by Vince's crew? Looked the same in the photo.

Good first episode. I don't really understand Paul Woodrugh (Taylor Kitsch's character) at this point but that fine. It's 8 hours. Obviously the burns mean something and the fact that he has to take a blue pill at his age. Plus he can't sleep with his girlfriend.

Learned more about the other three main characters in this get to know you episode. Ani Bezzerides (Rachel) might be more messed up than anyone. Frank Semyon (VV) seems to have climbed some rungs on the ladder from when we first see him. Ray Velcoro (CF) has had his favor called in...probably many times. Plus, we learn the identity of the "shhhhh" ski-masked man in Ep1 and who would be on the other end of the brass knuckles.

I love that there are other things that make people think though. The items in the apartment. The raven or crow's head in the front passenger seat. The details of the pull-out page in the book.

Some one even wrote about the license plates seen in Ep 1.

At the end of Ep 1 we already have an intersection of the 4 stars.

Big problem I see potentially happening is too many main characters to develop. Part of the beauty of the first one was how the two main characters interacted with each other, right from the first episode.

Worried that time limitations will work against the show in trying to get each character enough screen time.

Desi...why so Debbie downer man...I thought it was a great first episode. I'm curious to see where it goes.

And can anyone actually drink that amount of booze and do cocaine like Colin did in this episode and then simply wake up a couple hours later and head to work like no big deal? And was he smoking tobacco that he rolled or were those joints?

I would be worthless for a solid 24 and half worthless for 48.

Only Polly Bailey from Thank You for Smoking.

Nick Naylor: Polly works for the Moderation Council. A casual drinker by the age of 14, Polly quickly developed a tolerance usually reserved for Irish dockworkers. In our world, she's the woman that got the pope to endorse red wine.

thank-you-for-smoking-2005-02-g.jpg

Desi...why so Debbie downer man...I thought it was a great first episode. I'm curious to see where it goes.

And can anyone actually drink that amount of booze and do cocaine like Colin did in this episode and then simply wake up a couple hours later and head to work like no big deal? And was he smoking tobacco that he rolled or were those joints?

I would be worthless for a solid 24 and half worthless for 48.

Not Debbie Downer, just being realistic and tempering expectations. Nothing terribly exciting about the episode, other than being happy that it wasn't awful like the show Ballers was (show that came on after True Detective).

Reactions: DanC78

My wife and I said the exact same thing last night. Just too many characters. It works in GoT because the story arcs continue over many seasons. It feels like it will just guarantee some loose endings and "rabbit hole" scenes in TD.

Personally, I thought the first epi would have been much better if it cut the entire first 45 minutes and opened up with the scene of VV and CF in the bar. Have CF slide the file folders across the table as the first thing we see. Then we see each character race to the body, then we can learn some of their back-stories as the show progresses.

Still looking forward to it, though. Doubt any TD will ever live up to the bar set by the first one, but that doesn't mean it can't be really good TV.

My wife and I said the exact same thing last night. Just too many characters. It works in GoT because the story arcs continue over many seasons. It feels like it will just guarantee some loose endings and "rabbit hole" scenes in TD.

Personally, I thought the first epi would have been much better if it cut the entire first 45 minutes and opened up with the scene of VV and CF in the bar. Have CF slide the file folders across the table as the first thing we see. Then we see each character race to the body, then we can learn some of their back-stories as the show progresses.

Still looking forward to it, though. Doubt any TD will ever live up to the bar set by the first one, but that doesn't mean it can't be really good TV.

I've noticed in some shows as of late they will spend an entire episode based around one character. Arrested development and Orange is the New Black is the first that come to mind. I personally do not like it...at all. I hope they don't go that route....don't see it happening.

I thought the first season was actually highly overrated. I liked what it did for TV, in the fact that now more "limited run" shows are being created and higher profile actors/directors are interested in doing television. And I enjoyed the acting in the show along with some of the episodes. But the actually flow of the show and the story line didn't match the attention it received. Thought the ending was flat bad and I found myself watching for reasons other than figuring out who the yellow king was. With that I'll still watch this season and would recommend last to anyone who hasn't watched it. I just didn't think it was award winning.

I love Ray Donovan, and I'm also into Power (this season is a roller coaster).

Love both of these shows and a friend of mine has a small part in episode 5 of Power playing an Albanian that gets tortured, looking forward to seeing that!

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I love Ray Donovan, and I'm also into Power (this season is a roller coaster).

I haven't seen Ray Donovan yet, but I did start Power recently and am caught up now. I am enjoying the show. I will have to check out Ray Donovan.

To be honest it seemed like someone being griping just to gripe. 31 complaints in 55 minutes that included 2+ min intro. I may end up not liking the season either but I'll give it a chance. That just seemed like an article of tweets.

To be honest it seemed like someone being griping just to gripe. 31 complaints in 55 minutes that included 2+ min intro. I may end up not liking the season either but I'll give it a chance. That just seemed like an article of tweets.

Yeah I'd say there are about 6 to 10 valid "complaints", but I agree it's mostly just like live Tweeting during the show. The rest were filler.

I've noticed in some shows as of late they will spend an entire episode based around one character. Arrested development and Orange is the New Black is the first that come to mind. I personally do not like it...at all. I hope they don't go that route....don't see it happening.

Geeze. You seem like a genuinely good dude DanC but the more you put your opinions on the internet the more you make me shake my head and question you.

You don't like Arrested Development "at all"? WTF? You find Meet the Fockers funny but not AD? I would also never categorize AD as an episodic show that only concentrates on one particular character each week. Perhaps it's because the supporting cast is so damn funny but the show never feels like how you're portraying it.

Geeze. You seem like a genuinely good dude DanC but the more you put your opinions on the internet the more you make me shake my head and question you.

You don't like Arrested Development "at all"? WTF? You find Meet the Fockers funny but not AD? I would also never categorize AD as an episodic show that only concentrates on one particular character each week. Perhaps it's because the supporting cast is so damn funny but the show never feels like how you're portraying it.

Always thought AD did a splendid job of giving their huge cast of likable characters their moments in the sun. Only character I felt like could use more screen time is probably Tobias, but he's best in small doses anyways. Guess same goes for Buster, but he was to be neither seen nor heard. Always could tell a Milford Man.

Thanks man...I am a good dude!

Not sure where me not liking AD came in. Just wasn't a fan of the very last season that Netflix produced. It was a completely different format where each episode they followed one character....I didn't particularly think it was splendid, I mean why fix whats not broken. Just wasn't a fan...I liked how they did the first few seasons. And for the record, AD is one of my favorite shows of all time.

Meet the Fockers, not a big fan. I do however like the movie Meet the Parents...you might be getting those two confused.

Thanks man...I am a good dude!

Not sure where me not liking AD came in. Just wasn't a fan of the very last season that Netflix produced. It was a completely different format where each episode they followed one character....I didn't particularly think it was splendid, I mean why fix whats not broken. Just wasn't a fan...I liked how they did the first few seasons. And for the record, AD is one of my favorite shows of all time.

Meet the Fockers, not a big fan. I do however like the movie Meet the Parents...you might be getting those two confused.

You stated you didn't like the singular episodes from one persons perspective "at all" so one would surmise that you didn't like AD (combining it with Orange is the New Black).

You're also condemning a show for having a bad last season after a few year hiatus even though it had some great early seasons.

Fockers, Parents, both movies are hot garbage. Their Chet from Weird Science, a mash up of awfulness, grossness , fart gags and being a brain dead idiot. Funny by mistake and you feel kind of bad for them after awhile and you just want it to end.

You stated you didn't like the singular episodes from one persons perspective "at all" so one would surmise that you didn't like AD (combining it with Orange is the New Black).

You're also condemning a show for having a bad last season after a few year hiatus even though it had some great early seasons.

Fockers, Parents, both movies are hot garbage. Their Chet from Weird Science, a mash up of awfulness, grossness , fart gags and being a brain dead idiot. Funny by mistake and you feel kind of bad for them after awhile and you just want it to end.

Hahaha, yowsers man. Someone badmouth Kobe in your presence or something? Here, eat a Snickers, you're not you when you're hungry. :D Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I agree about not judging AD's 4th season and holding it against the original 3. They happened so far apart, I treat them as separate shows entirely.

As for MTP/MTF, I generally can't watch those types of movies, they give me anxiety. Too much awkwardness and bad things happening (aka typical Ben Stiller movie).

So back to the OP, what'd you think of TD's 2nd season premier @Rhino_nole ?

Reactions: DanC78

slow day work?

the last season of AD sucked compared to the other seasons....yes, they have their excuses, but it still sucked when compared to the other seasons. Just sayin....sorry that hurts your feelings man. I didn't mean to get you all huffy so early in the morning.

So for the record, AD is a great show.

tumblr_mrwwxf7hOb1sexeito1_500.gif

Again, I liked Meet the Parents....to each his own there.

slow day work?

the last season of AD sucked compared to the other seasons....yes, they have their excuses, but it still sucked when compared to the other seasons. Just sayin....sorry that hurts your feelings man. I didn't mean to get you all huffy so early in the morning.

So for the record, AD is a great show.

Again, I liked Meet the Parents....to each his own there.

I've been embroiled in Confederate flag discussions, I'm taking everyone down w/ me while I'm swinging. MTP/MTF/Confederate flag talk/Rachel D.

I actually haven't seen more than a few episodes of season 4 for AD even though I watch the old season regularly.

Reactions: dmm5157 and DanC78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT