ADVERTISEMENT

Two Weeks Notice

Random_John

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2007
I put in my two weeks notice at work because I am making a complete career change. It felt good to turn in my notice. I told my boss who didn't seem upset or happy. He was hollow and uncaring which is probably how I have been when I have accepted notices over the years. How was it for you when you put in your two weeks notice?

I have never given 2 weeks notice. At my last job I gave 6 weeks and the one before that 8 weeks. I work in a small field so never burn bridges.

I'm not burning any bridges. It would be fun though. Still, this is a good move for me and my family. I am excited. I hope anyone here who's changed careers has enjoyed their switch.

I will be a financial adviser with Northwestern Mutual. After my father passed away years ago I saw, first hand, how life insurance and investments really protected my mom. I want to offer others that same kind of protection and asset growth.

I will be a financial adviser with Northwestern Mutual. After my father passed away years ago I saw, first hand, how life insurance and investments really protected my mom. I want to offer others that same kind of protection and asset growth.
Where do you live? We had Northwestern cover a lot of our insurances at my firm in Orlando.

Orlando, I live in Tallahassee. For the last 3 years I have been managing the FSUCard Center. Before that I did a 9 year stint at the Department of Financial Services. It's good to get back into the private sector. 12 years working in state government is enough.

When I left my last company I have a two weeks and they countered saying they need four weeks. Told them not possible.

Last time I turned in a notice they were piiiiisssssed that I was leaving. Paid me the two weeks but didn't want me to come back after the day I resigned.

Last time I turned in a notice they were piiiiisssssed that I was leaving. Paid me the two weeks but didn't want me to come back after the day I resigned.
That's how it was with my last employer. I think there was just one person that they asked to stay the two weeks. Every other instance they treated it as "we're firing you before you can quit, except you actually just quit, so we're not liable for unemployment either."

Never had any problems. I have always tried to give the two weeks notice, sometimes it has worked out for more. I have been asked if I had a replacement in mind, so I'd say that they took it ok, understanding that they were better opportunities, but didn't want to see me go.

Isn't that basically where they hire anyone that will take the job, ask them to rent a desk, tell people to call their friends and family and try to sell plans, and then you wind up cold calling old ladies?

BAV, I admit there are companies like that. I will not be renting a desk and will only be selling to those who need insurance or want to invest their money. Though, I have wondered about the thinking of those who are against life insurance. Before my dad passed I didn't think much of it but my dad always insisted the family be covered. When he passed away his insurance and his investments paid off my parents mortgage and other debts. My mom would have been sunk otherwise.

Ask yourself, what position would your family be in if you were to pass away today. Life is about consequences, and I want to help people be protected against those consequences.

I have a few buddies who work for the NWM in Orlando. They all do pretty well for themselves, but have also been at it for 7, maybe 10 years now. It's very slow going the first 3 years, which I'm sure you have been told.

My advice to you...buy a few really nice suits (high waters are the thing), shoes, ties (bow ties too) socks (definitely socks, funky ones that you can get compliments on), cuff-links, and get a super slick looking hair cut and make sure there isn't a hair out of place everyday...and if you can get your teeth whitened, that's a plus!

I say this to you not for closing sales reasons, but for reasons of fitting in the culture at NorthWestern. Those cats look like they just filmed a commercial for Jos A. Banks.

BAV, I admit there are companies like that. I will not be renting a desk and will only be selling to those who need insurance or want to invest their money. Though, I have wondered about the thinking of those who are against life insurance. Before my dad passed I didn't think much of it but my dad always insisted the family be covered. When he passed away his insurance and his investments paid off my parents mortgage and other debts. My mom would have been sunk otherwise.

Ask yourself, what position would your family be in if you were to pass away today. Life is about consequences, and I want to help people be protected against those consequences.

I've seen what the benefits of having life insurance are first hand. When I found out my wife was pregnant with our daughter, I immediately got a policy through a family member that sells life insurance. If something were to happen to me, my wife would have plenty to pay off the house, send the kids to college and not have to worry about anything. The coverage is not all that expensive either.

Reactions: DanC78
I've seen what the benefits of having life insurance are first hand. When I found out my wife was pregnant with our daughter, I immediately got a policy through a family member that sells life insurance. If something were to happen to me, my wife would have plenty to pay off the house, send the kids to college and not have to worry about anything. The coverage is not all that expensive either.

tex...whats your email?

Dan, tell me about it. Those guys are always dressed to the 9's. I will be too and have already bought several suits and tailored shirts. I do not have the cuff links yet. But you know what? I like that kind of environment. I have been hanging out with the state for way too long. I am ready to dress like I am a New York banker and actually help some folks along the way and be in a job that actually pays vs. never getting a raise at the state.

Reactions: DanC78
I was in a job that I didn't enjoy and my boss and I agreed to a mutual parting of the ways. He said I could stay on for 30 days. I submitted my letter of resignation. A week later he told me it wasn't working out and asked me to leave. I then asked for the balance of my 30 days and he got pissed.
So I asked for a termination letter so I could receive unemployment benefits. It was my second job out of college and money was tight. I needed the 30 days pay to get my finances in order and time to get other opportunities lines up. He was really pissed. I told him you can't have it both ways.
He called the companies accountant in and they cut me a check for the balance. He knew he was wrong, I just think he didn't like having a snotnosed kid setting him straight.

Isn't that basically where they hire anyone that will take the job, ask them to rent a desk, tell people to call their friends and family and try to sell plans, and then you wind up cold calling old ladies?
Close, but you also have to pass numerous tests, and you don't just become a "financial advisor" over night. Depending on what they require you to offer besides getting your 216 you may need a 6 or 7 and other licenses to provide the type of service you speak of. Won't happen over night as I said. Good luck it can be a very rewarding occupation or one that you starve to death. Only 2% historically make it in this industry. Hope you can take rejection!

Dan, tell me about it. Those guys are always dressed to the 9's. I will be too and have already bought several suits and tailored shirts. I do not have the cuff links yet. But you know what? I like that kind of environment. I have been hanging out with the state for way too long. I am ready to dress like I am a New York banker and actually help some folks along the way and be in a job that actually pays vs. never getting a raise at the state.

OP is SO money........

myjumpsuits_2267_17059209.jpg

Seriously, good luck.......

I've got a friend who

My guess is that you got term life insurance, which makes sense. The OP is more likely, initially, to push whole or variable life insurance policies to his clients over term life. Rarely does it make sense to go for something other than term. This is what NM expects of its people. Gotta get those fees.

Thanks. I managed at the department of insurance for almost 10 years. I have seen it all from the regulation standpoint. I have my 2-15 and will be earning my series 63, 6, and 7 very soon. I look forward to the opportunity. I am really excited and thank you all for the well wishes.

I've got a friend who

My guess is that you got term life insurance, which makes sense. The OP is more likely, initially, to push whole or variable life insurance policies to his clients over term life. Rarely does it make sense to go for something other than term. This is what NM expects of its people. Gotta get those fees.

I will sell what's in the best interest of the person not my wallet. I will make suggestions but only if they are realistic.

I will sell what's in the best interest of the person not my wallet. I will make suggestions but only if they are realistic.

I hope so. Pretty tough to do well there without selling the high-fee products.

About 10 years ago, I went through my divorce, drank myself almost to death and lost my job because I lost my license because of a DUI.

I took a job that was within walking distance to where I was living, but the pay wasn't great and I owed back child support, so I took a part-time job 2-3 nights a week and one day on the weekend to help make a little extra money and to keep me busy, as I had just quit drinking. The job was at a local gas station/convenient store.

I worked Friday night from 5:00 PM-midnight and the 3rd shift guy called in and I was asked to stay until 6:00 AM when the 2 first shift guys came in, and it was June and it was a Saturday morning and the weather was going to be in the 90's, so of course at 5:00 AM, the two first shift guys call in. At 7:00 AM, the manager called and said that they couldn't find anyone to come in and that no one from the other stores would come in. I was pissed, as my Saturday shift started at 2:00 PM and this meant that I was going to work about a 29 hour shift, by myself on the busiest day of the year. I called the GM and she never called back. At about 9:00 AM, the place was slammed with people buying ice, beer, soda, chips and the gas pumps were slammed with people filling up their boats. I got a call from the manager telling me that I had to stay until the end of my scheduled shift and I knew that the 3rd shift guy was going to call in sick again. I got so frustrated when the manager came in for 15 minutes to make the deposit and then he left to go to the lake, when it was his job to stay and cover the sick calls. He nitpicked me to death about the store behing messy, but it was busy and I was by myself and never really had a chance to leave the register.

The job itself wasn't worth the shit pay, let alone work a 29 hour shift and possibly more if they couldn't find anyone for the 3rd shift. After the manager left to make the deposit and go to the lake (he had just told me to not call him because he didn't get phone reception at the lake), I locked the front door (I let the customers already in the store finish their purchases) and then I counted out my register and dropped the money in the drop safe and placed a note on the front door that read "CLOSED due to management getting drunk at the lake". I locked the front doors from the inside and left out the back door (of course I made sure it was locked). I heard it was a few hours before anyone realized that the store was closed and then it took a few more hours to find someone with keys to go in.

I actually felt bad, as I have always given a notice when I left a job, but for what they were paying to put up with that BS wasn't worth it, maybe if the manager treated me with a little respect, I might have said f*ck it and stayed and worked (one customer already offered to sell me a few ritalin to help stay awake, lol), but I was pissed and ready to kill someone.

Atta way, Manch.
Heard about a guy running dry kilns who ruined something like $60K worth of oak lumber one weekend. They found his keys on his desk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT