ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Just Announced They Are Sending Students Home For Fall Semester

Serious question: why can’t colleges have online learning for everyone EXCEPT students whose majors/scholarships are tied to activities that have to be performed in person? This would include scholarship athletes, and I imagine some lab-related science students, etc. Just create bubbles for these populations.

Very hard to imagine students being able to fully or mostly return to campus without widespread outbreaks, given the disease remains uncontrolled.
Just like the nba

Reactions: Legacy Noles Fan
So, all online classes for UNC. No In person classes because it's not safe.

And college football is good to go, very safe.

no matter which side you are with this stuff... I hope everyone can see the BLATENT hypocrisy going on right now.

Apples and oranges. I am good with it based on your presentation, and will wear my hypocrisy badge on this one. One group has continuous testing, one test only as they feel needed.

Apples and oranges. I am good with it based on your presentation, and will wear my hypocrisy badge on this one. One group has continuous testing, one test only as they feel needed.
One article said all undergraduate classes have gone virtual... maybe graduate school classes will continue.

They better not still be charging 3 x brick and mortar tuition costs.

The end may be soon!

Where does it say sending kids home? Big difference but it’s all a money grab but the schools

Blunt but true answer is colleges are big business as well and they want and need Full Tuition..Residence Hall and Meal Plan Money from Students
Man, I really wanted to believe Universities would be willing to take the near-term hit if it meant protecting the health of their students. Guess that’s naive. But I gotta say ... doesn’t this kind of move, especially if what Ira says is true about waiting for the checks to clear, just open these schools up to lawsuits?

The outbreaks are completely expected. The speed and rate of outbreak should be alarming to ANYONE.

This week:
-135 new positive cases
-130 new STUDENT positive cases
-5 new EMPLOYEE positive cases
-13.6% positive test rate
-Quarantine room capacity at 5.5%
These are only REPORTED positives.
And this is what I posted earlier. How many positives ended up in the ER? Probably zero. Why is everyone acting like these kids are on ventilators. What a crock of $hit.

The outbreaks are completely expected. The speed and rate of outbreak should be alarming to ANYONE.

This week:
-135 new positive cases
-130 new STUDENT positive cases
-5 new EMPLOYEE positive cases
-13.6% positive test rate
-Quarantine room capacity at 5.5%
These are only REPORTED positives.
If they had 130 student positive cases and the positivity was 13.6%, they must have tested about 1,000 people. Are they randomly testing students or were students tested because they reported being sick, or in contact with those who were diagnosed with Covid?

Don't understand why you can't do virtual school for all the students, if necessary, and still play football; where the players are actually more safer than most students. The two can coexist!

Cases. Cases. We're not talking about deaths or hospitalizations. We're talking about cases.
tenor.gif

So NC is abandoning campus, closing shop and going to on line learning
https://www.foxnews.com/us/unc-chapel-hill-switches-remote-learning-surge-coronavirus-cases

If you have not followed it COVID case and deaths have plummeted in the last few weeks.NC is 3 or so weeks into a downward trend with only 1 death today and none yesterday .. frickin crisis????

Do they abandon football? I do not know but the rule we are all to follow is no student on campus no football right? until the students are back? scary thing is they are in a signicant downward cycle ..the new cases could be so few by the end of next week or in 2 weeks they are down to March / April numbers .. in new cases .. very little to no deaths and nobody in the hospital .. frickin full blown crisis ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Grady3Nole
Very little in the title of this thread matches anything in the link posted within. We've been bamboozled.

Football is far from the golden goose to a university. It is to an athletics department, but not to the university as a whole.

Tuition dollars ... that's the golden goose. And federal and state dollars.

Football is an extracurricular diversion that is complementary to the actual purpose of a university. We alumni and fans ... we don't see it that way ... but that's the reality of the situation.

Universities don't need athletics.
I meant it from an athletic standpoint. How many of them at Tar Heel U would eliminate their donations if they didn’t have their team? The goose would lose a few feathers imo.

Don't understand why you can't do virtual school for all the students, if necessary, and still play football; where the players are actually more safer than most students. The two can coexist!

Because according to the NCAA athletes are students first, and if students can’t go to class, can’t go to parties, can’t go to games, can’t go thru in person rush, then why should they get to play football?

If it was any other sport, they would have already cancelled it, but by god we gotta save football because we need the $ for our athletic department.

Reactions: MagNoleA
You will Not die if you get COVID! You must have some other illness like the flu or influenza! Shutting down the country was the worst decision because not everyone followed the rules and won’t the next time!

Reactions: MagNoleA
You will Not die if you get COVID! You must have some other illness like the flu or influenza! Shutting down the country was the worst decision because not everyone followed the rules and won’t the next time!
You can die from Covid (although unlikely); and of all ages now. And you certainly don't have to have the flu or influenza to catch it. Really? Are you at a third grade recess speech debate? And opening back up the country with no specific national plan in place (such as masks and social distancing) was the worst mistake. You must get your news from inside a Captain Crunch box. People's stupidity, ignorance and indifference are bringing the surges back; and if it gets bad enough, another shutdown could happen. Get a grip with your facts.If we had shut down earlier and had shut down longer much of this would be going in the other direction. But you can't fix stupid. Europeans have taken a more no nonsense universal hardcore approach in their shutdowns while the USA response is disjointed, inconsistent, fractured, splintered and all over the place.
So many attitudes in our country just completely suck. And everybody is being so politically correct and are afraid to make massive changes for the fear of losing votes. Colleges and bars, stupid parties and now schools/colleges are making this virus continue to surge as some schools are closing already when no more than half are even wearing a mask. Its just very disgusting as the clueless selfish behavior continues. And I know you don't have to remind a family who has lost a loved one to wear a mask. Their attitude now is the one we need to take. And, NOW!

UNC has roughly 30000 total students. Something like 137 tested positive in first week. That’s less than one half of one percent...and they weren’t sick, just tested positive. Don’t know how many were tested, but I know Notre Dame required students to have a positive result within one week of arriving on campus.

I think you meant that ND required students to have a negative test result, but I think I know what you meant.

I can see 30,000 students locking themselves in their apartments with virtual learning while socially distancing and avoiding all social activities off campus.

Reactions: Gordonole
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article245014185.html

Why can't FSU do the same but create a bubble around football facilities where the players would have to live there on campus if we're to have a season?
happened two days ago ... covid is dropping in their state like crazy and they have very few case and no deaths .. makes no sense

why would fsu have no students .. same issue in florida - cases dropping like crazy and deaths will follow by about 4-6 weeks. we may be back to normal in 2-3 weeks

Covid is not disappearing. What you are seeing is simply a massive reduction in testing. Check Johns Hopkins website for Florida. 3-4 weeks ago Florida was reading 60-80k people tested a day. The last couple days we’re running at 20k. So basically you are recording 3 times less positives as before. Dade county hospitalizations have been dropping which means policy enforcement is working to some extent. I think once all the schools and colleges in the state crank up though it will counteract those efforts and we’ll be back in the same boat again.

Last edited:
Covid is not disappearing. What you are seeing is simply a massive reduction in testing. Check Johns Hopkins website for Florida. 3-4 weeks ago Florida was reading 60-80k people tested a day. The last couple days we’re running at 20k. So basically you are recording 3 times less positives as before. Dade county hospitalizations have been dropping which means policy enforcement is working to some extent. I think once all the schools and colleges in the state crank up though it will counteract those efforts and we’ll be back in the same boat again.
Percentages are down as well. Florida was testing at over 20% positive 10 days ago. Today 14%. Steadily dropping. But the media won’t feed you that nugget.

Reactions: GbrNole
Percentages are down as well. Florida was testing at over 20% positive 10 days ago. Today 14%. Steadily dropping. But the media won’t feed you that nugget.
Actually as of today 8/19 the positivity rate is just north of 7%.
Got that nugget from the local media site WCTV.

Actually as of today 8/19 the positivity rate is just north of 7%.
Got that nugget from the local media site WCTV.
it's right on the Florida GIS dashboard too. 7.06%. Florida has been testing at an under 10% positive rate since August 2nd. Also need to keep in mind that positive results reported in Florida include results from serology testing for antibodies and suspected positive cases.

Reactions: ChiefWB
I get a chuckle out of the MSM narrative that when the numbers go up it’s strictly because things are out of control and has nothing to do with increased testing. But when numbers go down, it has nothing to do with getting things under control it’s just decreased testing.
Most of us know that COVID is very real. I could just do without the misrepresentation of facts.

It could also be that less people are going to get tested. If you don't have symptoms, have not been exposed to anyone or don't need a test for work or travel, what is the point of going to get tested. I sure am not going to voluntarily go to get tested if I have no reason to.

At some point, they will run out of people to test because only those needing testing will be getting one.

Hospital data is probably the closest real time indicator we have in how things are going. Here in Georgia, the hospital numbers are updated daily. The actual number of Covid hospitalizations has been dropping for close to three weeks now. I keep seeing stories of how there could be thousands of people out there walking around with Covid who are not getting tested. I tend to agree that this is the case, but at the moment, the bulk must be asymptomatic or very mild because they sure are not turning into hospitalizations in Georgia.

You can die from Covid (although unlikely); and of all ages now. And you certainly don't have to have the flu or influenza to catch it. Really? Are you at a third grade recess speech debate? And opening back up the country with no specific national plan in place (such as masks and social distancing) was the worst mistake. You must get your news from inside a Captain Crunch box. People's stupidity, ignorance and indifference are bringing the surges back; and if it gets bad enough, another shutdown could happen. Get a grip with your facts.If we had shut down earlier and had shut down longer much of this would be going in the other direction. But you can't fix stupid. Europeans have taken a more no nonsense universal hardcore approach in their shutdowns while the USA response is disjointed, inconsistent, fractured, splintered and all over the place.
So many attitudes in our country just completely suck. And everybody is being so politically correct and are afraid to make massive changes for the fear of losing votes. Colleges and bars, stupid parties and now schools/colleges are making this virus continue to surge as some schools are closing already when no more than half are even wearing a mask. Its just very disgusting as the clueless selfish behavior continues. And I know you don't have to remind a family who has lost a loved one to wear a mask. Their attitude now is the one we need to take. And, NOW!

Where do you expect this virus to go? It is not leaving and we will have outbreaks weather we open now, next week, next month, or next year. It will not matter if we have a vaccine or not, they are only 60/80% effect, and that is only with the people that will take them.

I am all about looking out for our fellow American, we wear mask and social distance.

So, what is the goal, to slow the spread, it has been 8 months... That is plenty of time.

This whole thing just makes no sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT