ADVERTISEMENT

United Airlines Video

But thanks to political situations we can't discuss here and probably a decent dose of racism, we get where the flag wavers seem to hate Dao and love United.
Wow racism! While it exists, just because someone thinks the best course of action in this specific case was just to leave and not be dragged off doesn't make them racist.

I don't hate Dao nor do I love United. I am looking at it from a how could it have been prevented situation from both sides. Additionally, how I think I would have handled the situation. Heck as another passenger on the plane and seeing him refuse, I may have just said. Let him stay on. I will get off in his place I will take the $800 voucher, instead of whipping out the old cell phone and videoing the incident.

Wow racism! While it exists, just because someone thinks the best course of action in this specific case was just to leave and not be dragged off doesn't make them racist.

I don't hate Dao nor do I love United. I am looking at it from a how could it have been prevented situation from both sides. Additionally, how I think I would have handled the situation. Heck as another passenger on the plane and seeing him refuse, I may have just said. Let him stay on. I will get off in his place I will take the $800 voucher, instead of whipping out the old cell phone and videoing the incident.

I wasn't specically referring to you or 100% of United defenders. But when you look at the national articles comments sections as well as the main defender mouthpieces you see plenty of not so veiled racism. There's plenty of references to "Chinese takeout" in the defender set.

I agree, but there is some truth to what he is getting at. I keep typing and deleting my post re corporations and govt (elected) officials and their relationship with the people they serve. Its too early on a monday to get fired up about that subject.
Ok
I look at it like this. United transports hundreds of thousands of passengers per day, on over 4,000 daily flights. With those numbers, it's an absolute certainty that they will screw up. On occasion they will really, really screw up, as happened here. They handled this situation about as poorly as they could have. United was wrong, and they can and should pay. The guy could've been the biggest jerk in the world but still didn't deserve what happened to him.

I just don't get all the "subjugated to corporate masters" stuff.

Dramatic? A man was put was subjected to violence, put in the hospital and was was likely permanently disfigured. Nothing posted here today is even close to dramatic.

From your earlier post:"Also, what is with this idea of obedience to corporate masters? Maybe I should be ordered at gunpoint by the police to go in the back and peel potatoes if Applebees runs out of french fries"

Yeah, no idea where we're getting overly dramatic.

I wasn't specically referring to you or 100% of United defenders. But when you look at the national articles comments sections as well as the main defender mouthpieces you see plenty of not so veiled racism. There's plenty of references to "Chinese takeout" in the defender set.
Many times the minority are the loudest especially when they can be tough guys behind key boards.

Yes, I think there are racists out there that probably even hate me being 1/2 Asian and think United absolutely had no faults and are glad they manhandled the Asian man the way they did. However, I think this is a very small small minority. I have no scientific proof or poll or data, but I tend to believe that a great majority of people are not racist or taking a side on this because of race.

When I made my post earlier I was not implying I am pro Dao. I'm against how United handled it but what I want to know and still no one has answered is how far should United be allowed to go to remove someone from the plane? What should be their ramification if they hurt someone else?

When I made my post earlier I was not implying I am pro Dao. I'm against how United handled it but what I want to know and still no one has answered is how far should United be allowed to go to remove someone from the plane? What should be their ramification if they hurt someone else?
For this same exact situation?

United handled it poorly, so they really should not have done that or be removing people for this reason once the plane is boarded. United should either have a policy to not overbook therefore preventing the situation. Or before boarding passengers determine who is being bumped and let them know before hand and do not allow them to board the plane. Additionally making it clear at the time of purchase that they overbook and therefore, they are subject to be bumped and outline very specifically what will happen if they are. Also, they should easily be able to tell at the time someone books if it is already overbooked and advise the person at the time they book of such and that in essence they will be flying stand by and unless someone cancels or has not checked in say 30 mins (or whatever time is deemed appropriate) prior to departure they will not have a seat. Then if someone cancels prior to the flight, you bump the 1st person that booked after at capacity up to their seat. Basically, book until full and then wait list everyone you are overbooking prioritizing when they booked. If doing it based on price then do it for each section that have the same price. It really shouldn't be that difficult.

They didn't do that so they failed and bear responsibility for what they did.

But in a situation say where a passenger is assaulting other passengers or ran on the plane and didn't have a ticket or other situations where somebody should be removed before take off, I don't know. I would need to rely on expertise from experienced law enforcement. Would it be safer to taze the person or other method to get them out with the least likely possibility of hurting them or others on the plane. That being said, removing someone who is unwilling no matter the technique used I would think runs the risk of injuring the person. Or simply have everyone deboard the plane and say there is a mechanical issue or some other reason. If the person still doesnt get off after everyone else does, then that should at least eliminate the risk of others being injured. Also not sure how easy it is to remove seats and put them back securely to allow more room to remove the person, but that may be an option to consider as well.

For this same exact situation?

United handled it poorly, so they really should not have done that or be removing people for this reason once the plane is boarded. United should either have a policy to not overbook therefore preventing the situation. Or before boarding passengers determine who is being bumped and let them know before hand and do not allow them to board the plane. Additionally making it clear at the time of purchase that they overbook and therefore, they are subject to be bumped and outline very specifically what will happen if they are. Also, they should easily be able to tell at the time someone books if it is already overbooked and advise the person at the time they book of such and that in essence they will be flying stand by and unless someone cancels or has not checked in say 30 mins (or whatever time is deemed appropriate) prior to departure they will not have a seat. Then if someone cancels prior to the flight, you bump the 1st person that booked after at capacity up to their seat. Basically, book until full and then wait list everyone you are overbooking prioritizing when they booked. If doing it based on price then do it for each section that have the same price. It really shouldn't be that difficult.

They didn't do that so they failed and bear responsibility for what they did.

But in a situation say where a passenger is assaulting other passengers or ran on the plane and didn't have a ticket or other situations where somebody should be removed before take off, I don't know. I would need to rely on expertise from experienced law enforcement. Would it be safer to taze the person or other method to get them out with the least likely possibility of hurting them or others on the plane. That being said, removing someone who is unwilling no matter the technique used I would think runs the risk of injuring the person. Or simply have everyone deboard the plane and say there is a mechanical issue or some other reason. If the person still doesnt get off after everyone else does, then that should at least eliminate the risk of others being injured. Also not sure how easy it is to remove seats and put them back securely to allow more room to remove the person, but that may be an option to consider as well.
Yep, now they'll just cancel the flight and rebook everyone on an extra section flight that may just be the exact same airplane.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Ok so I am now really curious how people on this board view this. So lets say United was 100% in the wrong; they removed him unlawfully. I won't get into the injuries we are hearing about; because I am sorry there is nothing I saw that said broken nose, concussion and multiple teeth lost, but hey who knows.

What do you reward Dao if he was just removed and had a cut on his face?

What do reward Dao if he as removed and suffered all the medial claims his lawyers say?

What do you reward Dao if United said Dr. Dao we are letting you board and as you know you were selected for bumping based on our random system. We will do whatever we can to assist you with new arrangements if this occurs, but remember you may have to come off this flight. Thank you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT