ADVERTISEMENT

United Airlines Video

Yeah, I can't speak for that doctor in particular but missing a day of work for a doc doesn't just inconvenience them it screws up the entire schedule of his patients some of whom may need medicine or other treatments timely. That's not just mucking with their livelihood (it can cost literally tens of thousands for a clinic to hire a replacement doc same day and more than that if the patients leave and go to other facilities). So for him it's not just passing up $800, but causing potential patient harm AND missing out on potentially tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

That wouldn't be true of me. 99% of my work can be done from anywhere I have a phone connection and the other 1% would be courtroom appearances which would easily be granted a continuance due to travel issues. So for me, 99.999% of the time at worst I'm personally inconvenienced but it really would cost nothing. For doc that could be staff losing their jobs and patients with standard of care issues.

WOW do you really believe this or are you just trying to make doctors look good. Hundreds of thousands of dollars for missing a single flight; ha ha. You make it sound like if he missed this flight people were going to die in the streets. Except he likely was delayed more than the time it took to drive to Louisville; before he even got on the flight.
Some peoples idea of what is important is comical. I would bet he wasn't even a doctor and likely just some dude that was a douche.

Contract of Carriage applies, Fij. The airlines have all the rights.

I would tend to agree with you. I don't know if there is anything in the Passenger Bill of Rights Act that was passed a few years ago,

17757295_10210827476115030_1269461831997121895_n.jpg

I would tend to agree with you. I don't know if there is anything in the Passenger Bill of Rights Act that was passed a few years ago,

There is. The Contract of Carriage for each airline was updated. The airlines have to provide a document stating your rights if you are bumped involuntarily, and what compensation you are entitled to under various circumstances. I don't know if anyone from United did that before trying to forcibly remove the guy. If they didn't do that, the guy would have a cause of action against United.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
WOW do you really believe this or are you just trying to make doctors look good. Hundreds of thousands of dollars for missing a single flight; ha ha. You make it sound like if he missed this flight people were going to die in the streets. Except he likely was delayed more than the time it took to drive to Louisville; before he even got on the flight.
Some peoples idea of what is important is comical. I would bet he wasn't even a doctor and likely just some dude that was a douche.

Easily that much. Let's say he was "just" a pain doc. Most legitimate ones see a patient on followup about every half hour so that's 15-16 per day. Each patient will be worth roughly $500 per visit and visit every month with another $500-2500 for various injections so let's just say $1,500 per patient which is on the very low side (no diagnostic testing, no physical therapy, no interventional procedures besides injections, no qualitative urine testing, DNA testing etc.... Because of the nature of pain patients they're not going to (rightfully so) tolerate a doc rescheduling them they're going to go to a different pain doc maybe even right across the road. So just losing a day's worth of patients doing only doctor visits, some injections and some prescriptions the office is now down $270,000 potential money for the year. And if they're doing real lumbar procedures instead of just injections and writing scripts, each patient would be worth $15-35k just for the one time (hopefully) procedures now being done by another doc. If each of those patients had one $25k spinal fusion procedure a year you now potentially lose out on $645,000 a year by missing that single day of patient load.

So a multidoc hospital they may still capture those patient docs but not a small single or even a two or three doc practice.

Now let's say he was a cardiologist. The costs of the procedures missed likely go up AND the real danger to the patients increase exponentially.

Last edited:
When you voluntarily take a voucher, you have to wait until they have a flight with a seat on it. Getting bumped is usually a better deal, because they have to put you on the next flight and give you compensation, and the compensation is usually better than the voucher they offer. If it's overnight they have to provide a hotel and meals. Sometimes they offer hotel and meals with a voucher as well.

If the next flight were overbooked, would they forcibly remove another passenger to make room for him?

I'm curious as to how this ended. Did he still get the involuntary bumping compensation and put on the next plane or does the assault and arrest mean he gets the next flight after getting out of jail?

Airlines usually take care of this before the flight boards, upping the offer until enough people accept. I've seen the voucher offer go to $1500 before. Bumping compensation rules are a lot better than they used to be.

Southwest overbooked my flight once. They gave me a check for $1200 right at the gate and they still got me home same day.

Win!

If the travel voucher is over $400 I typically take it, lately it seems as if they've gone cheap though!

Probably, but I wouldn't give him one.
It's not his plane. Somewhere in that fine print it says they can tell you to get off their plane.

"Passengers on all U.S. flights are required to obey the orders of crew members, including flight attendants. Refusing is a federal crime that can (and often does) result in the defiant passenger(s) being taken off the plane in handcuffs and delivered into the tender warmth that is the FBI."

His entitlement mentality (after all, he's a doctor) no doubt played a roll...

You can passively resist if you want, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to play along with the rules you're trying to establish.
This. I don't agree with them not upping the ante until someone got off, but once he was asked to get offf and did not, the rest is on his own dumb a$$.

A few points.
The deadheading flightcrew is NOT going to take Greyhound or rent a car, and airlines don't have private jets to shuttle crew around. Most likely they needed to get to SDF to take out the morning flight. They probably had to delay the morning flight so that crew could get their FAA 8 hours before reporting for that flight.

The flight crew typically doesn't get involved with "bumping" pax. Now if a pax is somehow disrupting other pax or doing something that precludes the flight from leaving the gate, then they get involved. Usually by first getting the gate agent involved and if that doesn't work, then they simply call the airport police and have the pax removed.

Also, deadheading flight crews don't get preferred seating. If you see one in a first class seat, which is rare, it's because it was an open seat. They aren't going to put a coach pax in first class if they didn't pay for it. Most of the time when I deadheaded on a packed flight I got whatever seat was open. Sometimes first class, usually coach. I've deadheaded to Europe from DFW in a coach seat. Not even business class.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Southwest overbooked my flight once. They gave me a check for $1200 right at the gate and they still got me home same day.

Win!
The same thing happened to me on an AA flight out of DFW. They are required to pay a multiple of your fare based on the length of the delay from your scheduled arrival time. It's something like < 2 hours = 2x fare; 2-4 hours 3x fare; etc.

Also, deadheading flight crews don't get preferred seating. If you see one in a first class seat, which is rare, it's because it was an open seat. They aren't going to put a coach pax in first class if they didn't pay for it. Most of the time when I deadheaded on a packed flight I got whatever seat was open. Sometimes first class, usually coach. I've deadheaded to Europe from DFW in a coach seat. Not even business class.

On United I've seen crew sitting in first class probably a half dozen times, and I see them sitting in Economy Plus and exit rows all the time. A couple weeks ago I was in an exit row across the aisle from three flight attendants in uniform. Just wasn't a good look, IMO.

Edit- just boarded a UA flight and a pilot in uniform just settled into the window exit row seat. As an aside, the gate and flight attendants are especially friendly today. Lol

Last edited:
I've never flown United, but definitely see crew in First Class and Economy Comfort on Delta and American with great frequency.

I'm just a lowly Silver Medallion w/Delta, but still, I shouldn't have to pass any flight crew en route to coach, even w/my meager status.

Eh, people have the internet and video conferencing now. Stop flying. Everyone should drive. No one is getting forcibly bumped from their car not even a "rented" car. If a person is forcibly bumped from their car it actually is a crime!

The contractual debate of ticket buyer vs the airline aside, United handled this poorly and will lose/has lost in the court of public opinion. There was no reason to take it to that level. There were other options United could have taken one being that was reported to be one of the four person crew apparently being able to use a spare seat in the cockpit.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
What United should have done is refuse to take off until the passenger left his seat. The other passengers would have taken care of the "problem".

The same thing happened to me on an AA flight out of DFW. They are required to pay a multiple of your fare based on the length of the delay from your scheduled arrival time. It's something like < 2 hours = 2x fare; 2-4 hours 3x fare; etc.

This was a few years ago, but if I remember correctly, they told me it was 4x what you paid for your ticket with a cap of $1200. I was at the cap.

Easily that much, you clearly don't understand the cost of medicine. Let's say he was "just" a pain doc. Most legitimate ones see a patient on followup about every half hour so that's 15-16 per day. Each patient will be worth roughly $500 per visit and visit every month with another $500-2500 for various injections so let's just say $1,500 per patient which is on the very low side (no diagnostic testing, no physical therapy, no interventional procedures besides injections, no qualitative urine testing, DNA testing etc.... Because of the nature of pain patients they're not going to (rightfully so) tolerate a doc rescheduling them they're going to go to a different pain doc maybe even right across the road. So just losing a day's worth of patients doing only doctor visits, some injections and some prescriptions the office is now down $270,000 potential money for the year. And if they're doing real lumbar procedures instead of just injections and writing scripts, each patient would be worth $15-35k just for the one time (hopefully) procedures now being done by another doc. If each of those patients had one $25k spinal fusion procedure a year you now potentially lose out on $645,000 a year by missing that single day of patient load.

So a multidoc hospital they may still capture those patient docs but not a small single or even a two or three doc practice.

Now let's say he was a cardiologist. The costs of the procedures missed likely go up AND the real danger to the patients increase exponentially.

Sure Tribe.So now he lost close 645k for missing a single day of work. Even worse if he was a cardiologist the deaths were uncountable. So this world class life saving doctor is so great he had to act like a d**8 on a plane because he was bumped; amazing how people can see a single video with no context and know everything that happened. Using your logic all kinds of people in many different professions cold lose millions of income in a year for missing a single flight or worse yet a son flying home to see his dying mother who had only 24 hours to live would miss seeing his mom one last time; there is no price on that loss. The bottom line is the guy was asked to leave, right or wrong by the airline. He refused and was removed being a doctor or a burger flipper has no bearing on his actions. It wasn't like United was taking his seat so a couple of stewardess could take a vacation. The were getting another air crew to another flight that was likely delayed as much if not more than the flight they were getting on. I wonder what the 100 or so people on the flight that crew was going to fly would say if United told them hey sorry going to be another day before we take off since the super important Dr. Smith wouldn't get off the plane for your flight crew. The weather screwed up The airlines and they had to get flight crews to the places they were needed in order to fix the problem as quick as possible. Could they have handled the situation better sure; as could the great Doctor. The bottom line is if a business asks you to leave their business you leave. If they are in the wrong then you handle the issue in a respectful and professional manner at the appropriate time and place. If you want to do the sit in/protest or think because your profession is just to important to be included with the normal rules then you will likely lose and look like a douche in doing so.

What United should have done is refuse to take off until the passenger left his seat. The other passengers would have taken care of the "problem".

This would probably have been the best idea. Just announce that our flight will not be taking off until the passenger in seat 13A de-boards so we can get this flight crew to a plane waiting with 150 other passengers who have been delayed for 24 hours already. Had they done this the videos would have been of fellow passengers cursing at the Dr. in seat 13A.

I've never flown United, but definitely see crew in First Class and Economy Comfort on Delta and American with great frequency.

I'm just a lowly Silver Medallion w/Delta, but still, I shouldn't have to pass any flight crew en route to coach, even w/my meager status.
That's BS. Those seats would have gone empty, that's why the crewmember is in it. They aren't going to upgrade a coach pax unless they want to pay for it.

The only crew that can ride in the cockpit jumpseat are the pilots. Unless there was an FAA guy in it, one of the deadheading pilots was probably in it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT