ADVERTISEMENT

Univ. of Cincinnati removes name from baseball stadium

Didn’t read the article.

But I assume this person said some negative things a while ago?

Didn’t read the article.

But I assume this person said some negative things a while ago?
Yes, in 1993 she made racist comments about black players in MLB and employees of her own team, Cincinnati Red. MLB baseball suspended her in 1993 and permanently banned her from MLB in 1996.

Reactions: FSUDoles
The fact that anything associated with that witch could still be on a stadium is the bigger news.

I saw this story yesterday and had a question about this that maybe someone can answer. If they donated 2 million dollars from her foundation to get her name on it can the family sue and get that $ back from the school since they are taking her name down now? I'm just wondering how that would work if you donated $ to have your name on a building, and then they take your name off 14 years later.

Yes, in 1993 she made racist comments about black players in MLB and employees of her own team, Cincinnati Red. MLB baseball suspended her in 1993 and permanently banned her from MLB in 1996.
Also - openly stated numerous times that Hitler wasn't that bad of a person or something to that extent. Just in this day and age her name being on a stadium probably needs to change. Unless, her and her family owned the stadium (I don't think they still own the cincinnati reds).

She was a crazy old bag that inherited the Cincinnati Reds (she actually inherited money from her late husband to buy a controlling interest in the team). I remember all that stuff from when I was a kid/teenager.

I am pretty surprised her name was still on there to be honest.

One thing for sure going forward with these naming rights contracts is that there will be clauses in them for these specific reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT