ADVERTISEMENT

Update on the frat hazing death at Penn State

yes I am - please list all the reasons why alcohol is good for people and society

Does it matter? Should we outlaw everything that is bad for people and society? McDonalds? Motorcylces? Sodas?

If you have the the right to vote and you have the responsibility to die for your country, you should be allowed to buy alcohol.

Morons forgot the first rule of fraternity substance abuse - when someone goes to far and passes out, dump them at the frat next door (Theta Chi).

dental-cream-maglens-outpack-lg.png

That wasn't your question. They're positive benefits of moderate alcohol consumption. It doesn't bother me if you're a teetotaler, but just like most hardline stances you're not going to make friends by rubbing everyone's nose in your preference.

So should we make other "beneficial" drugs available? Statins for cholesterol? ACE inhibitors and beta blockers for cardioprotective effects/stroke prevention? Heck let's just put all the antibiotics in gas stations. 21 and older to purchase of course

Alcohol isn't the straightforward depressant laypeople think it really is. For the first two hours or so it triggers a release of dopamine in your body which acts as a stimulant raising blood pressure, heart rate and brain activity. It's only after the dopamine wears off that the ethanol's depressing effects are felt. So you shouldn't drink alcohol more than two hours or so before bed if you want to get to sleep. People get confused because obviously if you drink to excess your body shuts down and you "sleep", but in small or moderate amounts it's a stimulant for the first couple hours or so.
This is so true! When I have a drink or two at home after work, I get quite a bit of stuff done in a short amount of time.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Morons forgot the first rule of fraternity substance abuse - when someone goes to far and passes out, dump them at the frat next door (Theta Chi).

dental-cream-maglens-outpack-lg.png
I thought it was take them from the Pike house and dump them at the Phi Delt house and write Sigma Chi on them...But she may have been dumped at the Theta Chi house.

Drinking booze is as good for you as driving in traffic. Do it responsibly and you'll probably be fine. Get irresponsible and bad things might happen.

There are more updates from today on CNN. I know Jim Piazza and it is painful to watch him go through this. If you read the details, I think you will pull back on some of the comments made here. He fell down a staircase. Twice. Instead of calling for help, the brothers googled about how to handle alcohol poisoning. When they finally called for medical help, no one went with him. No one called the family.

Imagine how many fraternities, sororities, and clubs have been so lucky for so long to not have someone die from this kind of incident. Or if they have to not have it publicized. I feel terribly for the family and hope my son never suffers the same fate. At the same time, it's wild to think that it's happening at Penn State. That university will go bankrupt after enough law suits.

There are more updates from today on CNN. I know Jim Piazza and it is painful to watch him go through this. If you read the details, I think you will pull back on some of the comments made here. He fell down a staircase. Twice. Instead of calling for help, the brothers googled about how to handle alcohol poisoning. When they finally called for medical help, no one went with him. No one called the family.
Terrible

It's really not surprising to me that nobody called 911. Just a variation of 'snitches get stitches.'

it's crazy to think that these guys by making a phone call could be facing at most expulsion but as it is they are facing prison. How does a culture like this get created?

The should teach an AA course Freshman year so kids can see first hand how easily alcohol can destroy lives. I'm talking about a legit class too, where you go to the meetings and talk to the people. Jail and prison even...

The parents and brother were on the Today show this morning. They said no one from the fraternity, the organization or from PSU attended the burial or offered any formal apologies.

^ Scared Sober already exists at the high school level, complete with bloody, fatal DUI scenes. If that doesn't persuade them before they turn 21, not much will.

The parents and brother were on the Today show this morning. They said no one from the fraternity, the organization or from PSU attended the burial or offered any formal apologies.

I would imagine that any fraternity friends didn't attend for one of two reasons 1) They were too embarrassed 2) They didn't want everybody staring at them as a murderer. The lack of formal apology was probably due to legal advice.

The press is having a good time with the Baruch College guys who plead guilty to Voluntary Manslaughter charges after the death to one of their frat bro's death due to a hazing "ritual"...similar event to the Penn State death, the frat bros waited too long and the kid died as a result

I would imagine that any fraternity friends didn't attend for one of two reasons 1) They were too embarrassed 2) They didn't want everybody staring at them as a murderer. The lack of formal apology was probably due to legal advice.

Oh yea I am sure these kids are getting all kinds of legal advice. As far as attending the funeral; to bad if it is tough for them, a kid is dead so suck it up and be a man. You don't have to confess guilt by showing up and being classy.

Context?!?
Late 80s early 90s FSU. Girl drank too much with some pikes at house, claimed rape, pikes left her on other frats front door with theta chi written on her. Pikes kicked off FSU campus

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: goldmom
If you look at a list of Pike Alums, you'd understand why they haven't been banned "forever".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT