ADVERTISEMENT

Updates and quotes from Monday press conferences

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
Norvell is here.

Says he was really pleased watching the film with how all the players competed.
"Pleased with the way our guys responded ... that's something we're continuing to build upon. ... as the games get tougher those margins get so very slim."

"Our guys understand the challenge that's ahead, and there's a lot of excitement around our program. ... I can tell you our guys have really embraced the work that's necessary."

"This team is going to be ready and looking forward to the week of preparation."

He says they're playing complimentary football well. And they have confidence in situations. "We're getting a much more consistent result in what we're seeing."

Said it was another game on Saturday with less than five penalties and the players take pride in that.

"I believe it is a new team. ... You don't dwell on all the things you can't control, but you learn from the experiences you had with the things you can control ... we can sit back and look at all the streaks, the rankings, the odds, all of that stuff ... none of that matters."

"It is a new team, there's a lot of excitement how we're going through this journey."

On Clemson defense: "They just don't give up points. They're phenomenal in the red zone ... probably the best tackling team we've played this season ... you've got to find a way to make guys miss. ... It's a team that is a challenge to sustain those long drives because they really tighten up well when they are put in those situations."

"I know our guys are excited for the challenge ahead."

"I love watching this team and how they're competing together." Says he loved how the football team swarmed Brownlee, not just defense, but entire team, after his pick 6. Said the same thing happened with Jordan Young. "That's a joy, that's what makes this game so special."

"It's a new day, a new opportunity. We've got more challenges in front of us."

On Clemson: "They've had some great players, great coaches. They've been so consistent. This year, they've had some challenging games. ... It's a very talented group. They do a really good job. ... You look at the last 10 years that they've really established their program in this conference."

On Clemson QB situation: "They have playmakers on that side of the ball. They've had some missed opportunities. Both of those quarterbacks are talented. ... As you go back and look through the game, they've had their shots, whether it's a dropped pass or a missed opportunity here or there, we've lived through that as well ... I know what that looks like. We've got to control the teams we can control. ... this team is very explosive and very capable and our guys understand that, it shows up on film."

On special teams: Said the kickoff coverage was not good. One or two guys aren't exactly fitting things the way they need to be fitted ... missed tackles ... not one specific thing that showed up ... that's something we have to be better at. Says he's pleased with the punt team, but the return game, "we've just got to get a spark."

On young guys: Says Lloyd Willis did a nice job. "Showed flashes of what he can do." Says Chubba did a nice job. "Josh Farmer has to be in the rotation." Says you can see more speed in the moment the more those young guys play in a game. "For some guys it was a wake-up call."

On Chubba: "He was pretty clean. A couple of plays that we got to discuss and the thought process, but he needed that game. I was really pleased." Says there were a couple of plays where he made the right read, and he was really excited to see that.

On Gibbons: "We'll see how Dylan progresses." Says they hope DLT can play this week as well.

Says Clemson is the standard in this conference, and he knows about the home winning streak and the winning streak over FSU, but that doesn't matter to this team.

"My job as a coach is to be consistent. ... I've got to try to be the example for what I want. ... Everybody can sit back and hope for a fairy tale of a life, but that's not real. ... How about you go about your business ... those are things you can control ... So, I'm not going to settle for a substandard effort or a substandard reaction."

On lack of penalties: Says it was one of the things he emphasized back in the early summer with his team. Wants them to play with focus and fundamentals ... says there were a lot of careless mistakes early in the year that put them in challenging situations. "I'm proud of them." ... "We've got our ways of reminding them of that importance." ... says he doesn't ever have to tell the team how many penalties they had in a game, "they know ... probably because they know what's coming."

"To win this game, the big play has to show up. ... This is a really good defense. They've got good personnel, good schemes in what they do. ... You're going to get very few opportunities, but when you get them you have to make the most of them and capitalize on them. ... Our playmakers have got to rise up and take advantage of the opportunities that are presented."

Kenny Dillingham is here.

Says Travis was really 5 of 7 because he had three throwaways. Said he thought they executed pretty well. Took a few too many negatives, but the positive was they still picked up third downs.

"After first two drives ... I thought we got rolling and did a phenomenal job."

Downfield blocking: "When you play football. If you just own the ball, don't commit penalties and play harder than your opponent, you're going to win a lot of games." ... Says they achieved all the goals this week.

On Chubba: "Completely different person." Says last year he was a true freshman that had no practice and had to start ... says the offense wasn't changed at all. ... He made the right decisions. ... "For the most part, that guy went out there and he was calm. That's what you look for in a quarterback."

On Clemson: "They have really good players. ... Their talent level is high. ... They've got one of the best defensive coordinators and best defensive staffs in the country, and they've been there." Says all the time Clemson is changing things every week ... "their identity is they're going to get after you."

Says he challenged all the players to see if they could not get a pre-snap penalty. And they accomplished that. Says young guys executed well for the most part. Didn't take negatives, didn't get penalties. They didn't panic.

On Milton giving up reps to younger QBs: "I spoke to McKenzie throughout the week, just in terms of what he wants ... because he's a competitor. He wants to compete." But says he wanted to see the younger guys play. "He's just going out there to be McKenzie Milton ... people are going to gravitate to him, people are going to learn and listen to him."

"One of the things that makes them really good is they tackle well."

Says the key against Clemson is avoiding the negative plays, because Venables is always attacking, always being ultra aggressive.

He says the confidence from playing well on the road vs. UNC can be big, but that environment wasn't what it will be like on Saturday. "We're going to have to do a great job communicating." Says it'll be a great test.

Says the goal every single day is to just get better.

"Jordan back there posing that threat is obviously a dynamic player in that position. And we're staying in situations where we can run the football. ... And you combine that with getting our guys healthy ... I feel like that's what it should look like .... We're going to run the ball, and we're going to run it well. That's just what we do."

"Yeah, losing sucks" - he said in response to cutting down penalties. "They made a change. We didn't make a change. They made a change." Says only offensive penalty on Saturday was an OPI that wasn't maybe coached all that well.

On Toafili: "He had a little nagging stuff early in the year, but he's so explosive ... i definitely think that's a guy that can have an elevated role. .. He's a playmaker, and dynamic with the ball."

That's a wrap on Dillingham.
Adam Fuller is up next.

On Brownlee's pick: "He's come far. I still think there's a lot left there. But I think we've seen glimpses of his ability to cover people, tackler, he's also a really good blitzer, too. But we've seen lapses in games. ... Sunday through Friday preparation will equal Saturday and I think he's seen that."

Jammie Robinson: "We knew when we were recruiting Jammie that he was going to have multiple skill sets." said the development of Knowles has helped put Robinson at safety. And McLellion has helped develop Robinson at safety.

On young guys getting experience: Says they played 14 Dlinemen and 14 DBs. "A good number of people. I think that just helps those guys. ... The ones that got in deserved to get in, and hopefully that helps their development and expedites it even quicker."

On Jarrett Jackson: "Extremely physically gifted ... he's just so big and athletic. I think he's got a chance to really come into his own. ... it's just the consistency he needs throughout the week of the toughness and grit it takes to play that position." Said his production was really high on Saturday. "We think he's a legitimate playmaker in there."

On limiting number of big plays: "It's the building of the confidence and mentality." Says they have developed a mindset to play good red zone defense. "If you don't give up big plays and you play good red zone defense, that usually shows up well."

On Clemson offense: "They've got a track record of championship level football ... they've got top-level players at all positions. ... they're still a really good football team. They've got players on that team that have had a lot of success, so that will be a major challenge."

"We'll have a game plan for whoever is going to be in there. And we'll take it from there." --- on the QBs.

Says there will be one on ones in this game, and that the CBs have to play with great technique and focus. "They've always been traditionally a team that has created balance. ... it's been a combination of that program as a team. ... I think it's a collection of all of it ... tight end and wideouts are really good players ... that's something they obviously want to take advantage of."

Says when it comes to personnel decisions, it's always team first.
He cares about individuals, 'But it's got to be about team-first."

And that's a wrap on Fuller.
John Papuchis is up next.

Says kickoff coverage personnel is always being evaluated. Said Decalon Brooks and D.J. Williams did well late in the game and that might be something they look at.

Said it's hurt to have so many different returners, they would like to settle on someone. "Just trying to develop some consistency on who's back there. ... It all goes into getting better as the year goes on, but that only happens when you're getting reps."

Says he was pleased with how reps broke down at DE. Got Cushnie more reps. Got Payton in the game, Fuller in the game more than usual. "I thought all three played well."

Says he thought Cushnie flashed, made a couple of sacks and made the kind of impact they were hoping for when they recruited him.

On Clemson special teams: "They're very sound in what they do. Not a gimmicky special teams. Not a whole lot of fluff around their formations, alignments and shifts ... they play hard and fast."

Says Clemson runs basically one return formation, one coverage formation, one punt formation, "they're just good at what they do."

"I think the biggest key to why youve seen the season play out the way it has is the consistency of approach." Says Norvell has been the same person to the staff and players the whole time .... says that helps buy in and trust and improves the mindset and attitude. Says Syracuse really helped, too, because they finally saw it pay off with a W. "We really felt we're not that far away as a program from bursting through, but we needed a win."

Says the top return Clemson has had against them all year is to the 25. "So, we've got to be smart about that." Says you have to measure risk and reward.

And that's a wrap on Papuchis and a wrap on the day.

Thanks for stopping by!
Stay tuned to Warchant.com for all your Florida State athletic needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News