ADVERTISEMENT

Updates and quotes from Saturday's scrimmage (w/ interviews)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
Mike Norvell is here.

Says it was a good scrimmage. They did it in the IPF.

"Our guys I thought did a good job and came out and competed hard."

Said this scrimmage was more like a game than the previous one.

"I thought the first defense was outstanding today. Did a remarkable job in creating explosives ... one forced fumble and two interceptions."

Akeem Dent is the first person mentioned by name. "Really did a nice job in creating those explosives. ... Really dominant performance by the first defense."

He says the second offense did a "remarkable job. ... had some explosive plays, big runs, created some big runs ... I think it speaks to the depth we have and the competition we have across the board in what we're trying to force with those opportunities. ... It was a good work day all in all."

Says he's excited about the young players up front. Mentioned Josh Farmer as flashing in moments today. Also said McLendon has been remarkable in the way he's transformed his body.

Says he loves what he's seeing from Renardo Green at cornerback.
Also said Jarrian Jones had some good plays today. "That competition is helping elevate everybody. ... I thought they were dominant and created a lot of those explosive plays."

On Akeem Dent: "Akeem is a very talented young man. Has great range, speed, that playmaking ability. ... I think he's in a great spot to utilize all those talents. He's doing a good job in the run game and he's doing a really good job in the pass game."

Says Kentron Poitier had a "huge catch" in a backup situation. Says he didn't think he scrimmaged well last week but stepped up today. Mentioned Wilson and Pittman as doing well. And Trey Benson had a long TD run. D.J. Williams, Norvell said, has had two good days in a row and had a long run as well.

He said some guys up front have gone down and that's tested the depth, but mentions Shrader as performing well in his first scrimmage action. "I think he got close to 15 plays and I'm so proud of what he's done ... a lot of growth and a lot of steps that are being taken."

Says the first team offense has been phenomenal in not giving the ball away. Until today. "How we respond to that, I've got a lot of confidence in, but I like the emphasis in the tempo."

On Tate getting more reps this spring: "It's been huge. He's doing what I expected him to do. ... I saw steps last year ... but I knew this was going to be a big spring for him. The confidence, the execution, he's not a finished product ... to see the way he's growing, making great plays with his arm, making great plays with his feet, I'm impressed.

He says he jumped on Duffy a little bit after Thursday's practice, but thought he did well today in the scrimmage. "He's really impressive. He was one that had the big throw to Kentron coming off the goal line. That's a big-time play in the moment. Excited about some of the steps he's (taken)."

Norvell says freshman DB Thomas had a great scrimmage today.

"Jordan is our starting quarterback."

He says Travis isn't being pushed by Rodemaker as much as Travis is pushing himself. But Rodemaker and Duffy are competing to be called upon if needed. And Norvell says Travis is "in a much better place than he was at any point last year."

Says he had some plays today that weren't his best, but that's going to show up.
"We're putting them in challenging situations." ... Says he's excited about the QB group and the competition they do have.

Says you should have fun if you play Dline on this team. "You're going to get to attack."

Says Poitier's play today was good to see and should help him and his confidence.

Says Tony Tokarz (QB Coach) has done a remarkable job. And that the quarterbacks are talented, intelligent and understand the expectations.

That's a wrap on Norvell.

Adam Fuller is up next.

"I thought they played well together, starting to play off each other, communication starting to be better."

"It was a good, solid day." Says with QBs in green jerseys there's a lot of whistles so who knows if they're really sacks or not.

"They're doing what we want them to do and they're doing it with a lot of energy, which is important to me."

Says the communication is a key reason why he knew Deloach was going to be a leader last year. "Kalen brings that. I think Tatum brings that. Jammie Robinson brings that." Says Akeem is getting better with it.

Says they've got to create competitive opportunities. "Because of our depth in the spring, just because of so many mid-year guys ... it's time for Jarrett Jackson and Josh Farmer and Daniel Lyons and Bishop Thomas, and Malcolm, it's time for them to get snaps."

Said Robinson has been dinged up but is fully healthy now, but they still want more reps from Shyheim Brown. As well as the younger CBs.

"Akeem Dent had two big picks today. That's what a safety does. He overlaps things."

Said Jordan saw a one on one and tried to take advantage, "But that was a tremendous play."

"I do think Akeem is feeling comfortable. Akeem is someone that needs to be put in position and once you tell him what to do he's very good at doing it. ... I do think at his best he's a multi too player. He can tackle, he can cover, he can make plays on the ball, he can blitz."

Says DT is a hard position to play as a young player. Says moving Briggs to FOX has opened up some snaps on the interior. Says the young DTs are exactly who they thought they were when they recruited them. "Arrows are definitely up on both of them" -- in regards to Lyons and Thomas.

Says he wants to have a smaller rotation at safety and linebacker.

"At corner, we need a lot of players out there." Says Renardo Green was watching film with him yesterday. "He wants it."

"There's a lot of good tape out there right now." Says they've worked really hard to make the run fits to where the players understand their part in the wall.

He says the FSU offense stresses them a lot, because they are great at creating angles in the running game. "I do like the way we're playing against the run right now."

He says McLendon has put in the work. "He was a young defensive lineman when we got here. He never had an offseason. Never had a full time with Coach Storms and that group. ... His mind knew what to do, his heart knew what to do, but physically he just wasn't developed enough yet. ... Now he's even bigger and stronger than he was. He has a natural leverage to him when he rushes the passer, has good hand work and he understands how to rush ... he's gotten stronger, he's gotten faster. ... He'll be an impactful player for this defense next year."

Says Quashon Fuller has to be more consistent in his approach. "If he does that he'll have an impact for us. And we want him to. ... we've just got to keep hammering away at getting the football that isn't good enough out of his game."

Says McCall is definitely a corner for them. But he loves to have guys that are versatile. "I think he has tremendous ball skills. ... If he is in phase, Sam is going to make plays. He's too long, he's too athletic, he's really cool around the ball. ... He's got a really good skillset to him and he wants to be really good. So, I'm excited about his future."

He says it's "Open competition for greatness." Meaning if McCall and Thomas are good enough, they'll get on the field.

On Dent: "It goes back to the work he's putting in. ... It develops confidence in players. ... The greatest thing was last scrimmage. Akeem really had two really poor plays in that scrimmage and then came back and played really well."

Said Thursday's practice was a great example of bouncing back. That they couldn't get a stop in the red zone to start the practice and then afterwards had maybe the best hour and a half they had the entire spring after that.

That's a wrap on Fuller.

Alex Atkins is now up.

Says the defense made good plays on the turnovers. "Those are forced turnovers, the defense did a good job of taking the ball away."

On Bless Harris and Kaden Lyles: "Bless got thrown into the fire, taking reps with ones twos and threes." Says if he sees him fatigued and the 3s are on the field he'll throw him in there to see how he'll respond to situational functioning and fatigue. "I've got to see him uncomfortable and see how he responds." Says with Lyles it's the same thing.
"Really just challenging them each day to see what I get ... but I've been pleased with both of their progressions."

On Pittman and Wilson at WR: "The easiest thing to do is watch them make plays and catch the ball. ... Those guys are fitting into those rooms just like they've been here for a long time. ... You don't see them going the wrong way a bunch. ... They're fitting in, making plays, learning it, ... good to see their progression."

Says they've made a few changes to the offense with him now as an OC, but mainly it's just about pushing the guys forward. Just trying to find what guys do best. And then formulating the offense around the guys and their strengths.

On Tate: "It's not about pushing Jordan, it's about becoming the best player he can become. ... Jordan is the QB, but I like to see Tate progress. Just like Jordan had to progress before he was the guy. Now, competition comes with the job we have, but everybody's job is to get better." Says Tate is getting better each day. Jordan is, too, but he says Tate is a little different because he's making such big strides.

On Shrader: "He'll help us. He'll be fine. ... He got out there and mixed it up in live situations. ... I'm pleased with his progression. ... We're going to keep pushing him to the limit of what they'll allow us to, but he's done a real good job. He'll help us in the fall."

On Tokarz: He coaches for understanding. ... He makes sure they understand what he's saying but also the content and the context of what he's saying. ... They understand the why of doing things.

Says his favorite seasons of the wire were Season 4 and Season 5.

On development of Darius Washington and Maurice Smith: "Darius is one of few players I've had who can play all five positions. .. he comes to work every day. ... He's a work-hard guy. I can't say enough good things about Darius."

On Smith: "Sometimes I take Mo for granted. He's steady Eddie. ... He's still a young guy." Says he's pleased with his understanding of the offense and the mental process. Still has to get bigger, faster, stronger. ... Says Smith is a competitor and wasn't worried at all about Lyles coming in.

Says Herring and Estes are both coming on. "I do expect both of those guys to help us this fall also. So, we're getting deeper. ... I've been pleased with their progression."

Says Ward has been a really good leader so far for the offense. Says he's learning how to channel his passion and energy to the whole offense. And he said Gibbons is doing a lot of teaching and leading as well. Says Gibbons will be running the remote on film when he walks into the room sometimes. Also mentioned Helton today.

On Verse and other Dlinemen being so talkative: "It's competition. ... There's got to be a little bit of edge and aggression to it. ... That breeds competition. Talking is a part of football. ... What i like about Verse is he brings it, his effort, chasing down runs ... he gives high effort, I like his mentality and I like how he brings it because that's who he is."

That's a wrap on Atkins

John Papuchis is up next.

Says they got 12 total punts in that were full speed reps. Two of which were full cover. And they did two sky punt scenarios. That were also full coverage. Probably was tough though because they were indoors with a low roof.

Says Quashon Fuller is a talented player. Just looking for the mental part of the game to develop and the approach to practice to get a bit more consistent.

On McLendon: "Has made a lot of progress as a player. ... He does believe in himself. ... He does come out and work every day. Derrick is a worker. He takes a lot of pride in how he performs. ... his passion to play is always at a high level, and I think that's why he's been able to make the most of his time here to this point. ... And I think that's why he is confident because he trusts the work that he's putting in."

Says he loves the special teams reps ... coverage reps ... because they're 1 on 1 and you can get exposed. It creates great competition. But it also allows them to get a read on if one of those players can make plays and get on the field in certain roles.

Says he really likes the approach of how they're going after the daily work in the special teams phases. "Whatever the point of emphasis is that day ... you see a response from the players. And to me that means there is a high level buy in in terms of belief in what we're trying to do. And that's what I've enjoyed the most."

Says he's really been impressed by the four freshman DL that came in mid year.

"For the most part they don't look out of place with anyone on the field." He says he has a high level of respect for the way they're working. "They've all done a really, really good job to this point."

That's a wrap on Papuchis. And mercifully, that's a wrap on all the interviews!
Stay tuned to warchant.com for more stories and videos and whatnot.

Peace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

What's up, folks?
We're expecting to get Norvell and the coordinators after today's scrimmage. We assume - because of the weather - that it was moved indoors.
He is supposed to speak around 12:30 or so.
So, hang tight and stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News