ADVERTISEMENT

Updates and quotes from Tony Tokarz availability (w/ video)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
What's up guys?
We're about to get new QB coach Tony Tokarz for his first media availability since getting the job.
I'll update and quote as much as I can while we get him.
Hope you had a terrific weekend. Stay tuned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Norvell for giving him the opportunity.
Says being an analyst gave him a chance to see the program with a bit wider lens, because he didn't have a specific role.

"I'm looking forward to having more of an impact."

On why he left on-field role at Memphis: "Some people thought I was crazy for leaving an on-field job. You work so hard ... to get there." But says he wanted to work with Norvell, and knowing what he can accomplish at FSU. "That was a no-brainer." Says it's a dream job. "Everybody has seen what Florida State is capable of." Says Norvell is a genius when it comes to offensive football and building a culture.

Says his relationship with the QBs was kind of a "Second ear."

"I'm obviously real excited to get to work with this position ... here at Florida State we're going to play quarterback the way I know it should be played. That's with a passion and detail and focus. ... I'm excited. I'm fired up and ready to get to work."

Says seeing the growth the team has gone through is pretty impressive. Talking a lot about building relationships.

On relationship with Atkins: "Alex, everybody knows how smart he is. Everybody knows the Xs and Os and the detail as far as technique as offensive line goes ... he sees big picture football very well. As a leader of men I can't say I've seen many coaches better than him. ... He doesn't care where the ideas come from, who gets the credit, to him it matters what gets the job done."

On Travis: "He's shown that he can play quarterback. I know that's a really broad statement, but that kid can play quarterback." Says he has to be more consistent, there's always room to improve ... but says he's a dynamic athlete, can push the ball downfield and is extremely smart football-wise.

Says passion and detail are key to him. "I'm a Division 3 guy ... I might not be the blue blood that people wanted, but I'm blue collar that this program needs." ... Says it's about building consistency on a daily basis to make those mental gains.

He says the job he has, for any quarterback, is to build confidence through preparation. Wants to apply pressure in practice. Says that's always the goal. "If we can continue to apply that pressure to our guys ... that's how you build confidence. And it's real confidence, too."

On playing and coaching at lower levels: Says at FSU you get guys who can run fast and guys who hit hard, but at lower levels ... you have to figure out how to get your job done with detail ... because the players might not have the athleticism that you see at the DI level. Says coaching at that level requires a different skill ... "I think it's beneficial." Says it also provides an opportunity to wear a lot of hats, said one time he was running a weight room.

Says Travis is a fun player to coach because he's got that dynamic trait to him. Says he has to harness when to use his legs. ... Says it's exciting to see Travis's progression and what his ceiling could be.

On working with Duffy: "Extremely intelligent. Poised. He carries himself like you imagine a quarterback carrying himself ... He's an absolute sponge." Says A.J.'s dad grew up about 20 minutes from where he grew up in Mass. ..... said Duffy has a very bright future. Combination of his skill set and his ability to learn gives him a bright future.

Says he was at Memphis before Norvell got there. Norvell gave him opportunity to stay in some capacity even before he knew what kind of coach he was going to be. ... Says he actually left to take a D2 job, but kept in touch with Norvell. Then opportunity came back up again a year later, on a on-field role, and he took it. Calls Norvell one of the greatest coaches in the country.

Says Rodemaker has made great gains physically in the weight room. Still plenty of room to grow obviously, "I'm excited to see the growth."

Says he doesn't have a set number of quarterbacks he wants in the room.

And that's a wrap on Tokarz. Video will be up soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News