ADVERTISEMENT

Updates and videos of Wednesday interviews with FSU freshmen

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014

George Wilson

Says it's an honor to be at Florida State. He's learning. Also thanked God for putting him in this position to be at Florida State.

Says it was hard to be recruited but not be able to go on campus. It wall all Zoom meetings. Said the coaches were real with him and they did well in those types of meetings, but overall it was hard.

Says everything has been intense. Everything. In the weight room. Everywhere. "I love it."

Came in at 189 pounds, says he's over 200 pounds now. Using nutritionist has really helped him, he said.

The bond between the freshmen he said has been solid, they're helping each other out along the way, trying to make everyone better.

He said he felt through the Zoom that the coaches were being real with him, felt the energy from Odell and Papuchis, and that's what made it easier to come to Tallahassee from Virginia.

Says he's getting used to eating a lot of meals a day, knowing what to put in his body. "I'm just learning."

Jermaine Johnson and Thomas are coming to them and offering advice. "They're like coaches." He says that gives them an edge, how to do things, how to look at the playbook, they're helping a lot. And they take it upon themselves to offer advice and coaching.

Right now he's playing the Fox position.

He says some of the other freshmen are like his best friends right now. "It's been great."

That's a wrap for Wilson. Be sure to read all of the other wrap-ups as well.

Byron Turner

He said the transition has gone really well.
"Coach Storms is a great guy, a great coach, I appreciate everything he's doing for me right now." Says he's helping him reach his goals.

Says he volunteered to be a counselor/coach/helper at a few of the camps throughout June. Because he wanted to be out there.

Says having guys from Louisiana on the team already has made the transition easier.

Wants to be at 250 or 255 when the season starts and he says he's close to that right now.

The whole defensive line core has helped him so far, teaching him little techniques, telling him what he's doing wrong, trying to make him better.

Says he feels like he'll be ready to contribute this season.

"We all got one goal right now and that's winning a Natty." --- he said on the goals of his fellow freshmen.

Says the NIL isn't really his focus right now, his focus is getting on the field and playing.
That's a wrap for Turner. George Wilson is up next.

Patrick Payton

Says it's way harder than high school. "But it's been going pretty good."

Says he feels like Coach Fuller believes in him a lot. "Whatever he needs me to do, whatever position he wants me to play, that's what I'm going to play."

He says he feels the most comfortable playing OLB and DE.

Says he came in about 210 or 212 pounds and says he's already gained about 10 pounds. Would like to get to around 230 before the season starts. Says he's been eating at least four times a day to get his weight up.

"Everything moves way faster than high school." Says that goes for everything, on and off the field.

Said Thomas and Johnson have been really big help to him. "Whatever they tell me, I soak it in."

Says he isn't thinking about NIL, "it's not about that." Says he just needs to get bigger, faster, stronger.

Says he wants to be a part of the turnaround. That's why he chose FSU. So years from now he can look back and say he was a part of that. And he really believes in Norvell's message.

That's a wrap on Payton. Byron Turner is up next.

Shambre Jackson

Says he was 255 when he got to Tallahassee. Says he's put on like five pounds and expects to play both inside and outside this season for the FSU defense.

"Now, I love it here. .. Workouts were hard at first, but I'm getting adjusted to that, too. ... I just love it here."

On Storms: His staff is amazing. .. they push me to be my best every day.

Says he still can't wrap his head around what his life has become, that he's at FSU, and just the amount of grind they're doing as a team. Says it's still an adjustment.

The older players are telling us to stay positive, work hard and grind ... it will all pay off.

He says he felt like Haggins and Papuchis were his coaches even when they were still recruiting him. So, it hasn't been a big adjustment to get used to them being his actual coaches.

Says coaches have told him to get flexible, get stronger if he wants to contribute as a true freshman.

Says he and the other freshmen like each other and plan to help each other as much as they can. "We're like a brotherhood."

Says Johnson and Thomas have been really helpful, trying to teach him and help him adjust.
That's a wrap for Jackson. Patrick Payton is up next.

Shyheim Brown

Says he will be playing safety right now. And is getting a look at nickel, too.

Says the adjustment has been pretty good so far, and he's done well at the workouts. Getting used to getting up earlier than normal in the summer.

On things he was told by head coach Brian Allen (former Nole): "Tallahassee is like a party school, don't get caught up in that. Put my head down and do what I have to do."

"I've never really played safety like that in high school. So, just knowing the technique ... the main job of the boundary safety is you've got to hit. And I have no problem hitting."

Said all the older guys are helping him learn the position, mentioned Travis Jay and Brendan Gant by name.

Working with Coach Storms: I like to work. They bring the best out of you.

Says he's been strong since high school but the work is making him better.

Says he hasn't really thought about the NIL for now. Says he'd love to take advantage of it later in his career, but he's not really thinking about it right now.

Says the energy in the weight room is "off the charts." They're all pushing each other and motivating each other to try to get better.

And that's a wrap on Brown. Shambre Jackson is next up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning!

FSU is making its football newcomers available to the media over the next week or two, and we are interviewing five players this morning. Corey will have updates from those sessions when they begin at 10 a.m. ET right here. Then Aslan will post the videos shortly after each one is complete. They are scheduled to begin at 10 and run until a little after 11.

These are the players we're expecting to interview:

* Defensive back Shyheim Brown of Lake City, Fla.

* Defensive end Shambre Jackson of Orlando

* Defensive end Patrick Payton of Miami

* Defensive end Byron Turner of Louisiana

* Defensive end George Wilson of Virginia

So check back a little after 10 for updates.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News