ADVERTISEMENT

Updates from football newcomer interviews -- 3 players meeting media

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014

Kayden Lyles is up first.

On choosing FSU: Says opportunity was biggest factor in choosing FSU. "I felt this was the right place for that" after meeting with Alex Atkins.

"He was the most real coach. That's the simplest way to put it." Says going through recruiting process when he was younger you get flooded with coaches telling you what you want to hear ... "he had a vision for me, short term and long term." Says they gave each other goals and what they wanted to accomplish.

Says after his visit to FSU, watching the Miami game was what convinced him. "That kind of set it off for them to be a big contender." Says meeting with Atkins, watching film and getting to know him as a coach ... "That kind of ultimately about two weeks after the visit is when I knew I wanted to come here."

Says he was weary at first about entering the portal, but it started off really well for him because he had a lot of schools interested in him.

Says he's moved around a lot his whole life. And that's helped him be able to adapt once he got to Tallahassee.

"I'd like to make a big impact. Being able to showcase who I am, who I truly am on and off the field. Wisconsin was a great place, and I was able to put a lot of stuff on film, but things didn't go the way I wanted to leaving there."

On playing some DL at Wisconsin early in his career: Says he was a two-way player in high school in Arizona. They asked him to move to DL after his first year because of injuries. "I just wanted to do do whatever they needed." Says he learned a lot in that year, knowing what the D-line was trying to do, "so when I was able to move to offensive line I was able to utilize that."

Says he will start as a center. Says that's where he is most comfortable.

"Florida State is a blue blood. They're a team that's won national championships, won one recently. Within the last 10 years. ... I think we can accomplish that here."

"Playing Big 10 football as an offensive lineman has helped me gain a lot of skill ... being able to come here and help the guys around me ... being able to help teach them ... I do feel like the coaches here are on the right track. They know what they want to do."

On reaching out to the younger guys on the team: "I think it's just important to build that bond. They always say the O-line is five as one. So, we all need to be on the same page. So, regardless of who I'm talking to, you need to build that bond. ... I want to be able to build good bonds with people, to be able to have them trust me."

On relationship with Gibbons: Says he talked with him during the transfer process. "He gave me his truthful opinion on it, and it's really what sold me on coming here."

"I think it's really important, I think any player needs to play with an edge. ... I just want to be able to build off of what Dillan has brought here."

Says he's already build friendships with a lot of players. "I love them for that."

That's a wrap for Lyles.

Bless Harris is up next.

He says he wanted to find a place that was most comfortable for him, and could help him in his future. Also wanted a place where his family could come watch him play.

He says after his first Power 5 offer he knew he would be OK in the portal.

Says FSU was one of his dream schools, especially playing NCAA 14 video game. He played with FSU a lot.

On relationship with Atkins: Says those conversations weren't recruiting conversations, but Atkins treated it like business conversations, and what they could get out of each other. Told him younger guys needed some leadership and competition.

Says it's nice to have other guys from Louisiana on the team.

Says he was under recruited out of high school. Didn't question his talent and just stayed the course and went to Lamar. "And I just worked from there."

Says he has an "older guy mentality." Says he's athletic for his size.

Says he responds to hard coaching.

He says he prefers left tackle for sure, but says he's also been working on stances at right tackle, too. Sounds like he'll at least start his FSU career at tackle.

On playing in the spring and then having fall off: Says he was sad at first watching other people play football. Says when he went on his visits he wished he was suited up. "It is what it is ... and I'm home now."

Says he's getting to know the other linemen and players on the team. "It's been a really good ride. I'm happy to be here."

On the FSU-Miami game he was here for: "That was a crazy moment ... that kind of sold me to come here."

That's a wrap for Bless.

Tatum Bethune will be the last one up.

Says his relationship with Randy Shannon, that he knew him before he started getting recruited at all. Then he says he got recruited by him at UF and then he played for him at UCF. "It was great for me." Says that when he knew Shannon was the LB coach at FSU "it was a no-brainer."

Says Shannon is one of those guys that is going to help you off the field, just like he helps you on the field. "He's a great dude. ... I love Coach Shannon."

Says there is no specific reason on why he transferred. "I love UCF, there's nothing wrong with UCF, I have nothing bad to say about UCF." Says he loved seeing what Norvell is building at FSU though and he's happy to be here.

Says he's a vocal leader. "I'm going to talk a lot, I'm the last person to put my mouthpiece in before the play." Says he is always going to talk up his teammates as well.

He's going to learn both inside and outside backer positions as of now.

On the portal: "My first day was kind of chaotic ... my phone kept ringing with numbers I didn't know, people from the west coast and all over the country. ... It was crazy."

"I'm not going to lie, growing up and living in Miami, you're always taught to not like Florida State." Says he didn't really dislike the Noles though.

Says it was pretty hard to decide if he wanted to stay home or come to Tallahassee. "I wanted to leave and experience new things ... I love my family, but I've got to grow."

On putting up high tackle numbers at UCF: "Really just getting to the ball, until the whistle ends. Film study, football instincts, linebacker instincts .... it's being able to understand it and be comfortable with what you do."

Says he tried basketball in middle school. "But that didn't work."

And he fell in love with football at an early age.

Says Shannon on the field is very loud. "He's a leader, too."

"I feel great about my decision."

Says the LBs are all in the same workout group. "We talk to each other each and every day." He says he already feels like brothers with them.

That's a wrap for Bethune, and that's a wrap for the day.

Thanks for being here!!!!!
We'll do this again Thursday morning at 10:30.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning!

We'll be interviewing three FSU newcomers this morning -- all transfers -- around 10:30 a.m.

OL Bless Harris (Lamar U.), OL Kayden Lyles (Wisconsin) and linebacker Tatum Bethune (UCF).

Corey will likely be the one posting updates right here, as only he can! Aslan will post the videos as soon as they are uploaded. And we'll have stories after.

So check back around 10:40-10:45 for updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News