ADVERTISEMENT

Updates from interview with new FSU O.C. Alex Atkins (with video)

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014

9:30 a.m. -- New FSU OC Alex Atkins is now at the podium. Quotes coming.

Opening statement: "Excited about the job and guys we have coming in... I am fired up for the new position...Appreciate the opportunity and ready to get started."

On the process of being promoted: "This started at Charlotte before I came to FSU...To be able to learn offensive football from Mike Norvell, its unbelievable, what he's done...That conversation started a while ago."

On play-calling at Charlotte, and how that will translate: "It is coach Norvell's offense. Coach Norvell will call plays. Being around a coach you are always heavily involved in play-calling process. Now you're more involved... I will always be on the field [as OC]. That's what I'm comfortable with, interacting with players. We'll still have eyes and ears in the box."

On influences from other OC play-callers. Listed a few names, like Jason Simpson UT Martin HC. Said the names go on and on.

On the offensive line improvement: "Its everything. The most thing I can say about the improvement is the continuity and the actual process that it makes...learning and understanding each other. We are finally at a point where we've got some guys returning and a great class coming in...We have the pieces to have a success."

On being an OC of color at the Power 5 level: Says part of the reason there aren't more African-American coordinators is that most come from the QB position (who become QB coaches), and there used to be far fewer black QBs. "I do think it shows progress as far as examples. You lead by example by creating belief that it is possible. I don't say I want to be an example, its more how my kids react to me, how I relate to my players and how they respond to me and what they say about me. That's the truth."

On new QB coach Tony Tokarz: "His grasp, his personality, that was a home run for us. The things he taught me when I walked in the door. Was able to give me all the information I needed."

On interacting with the other position groups as an OC: "Each of those conversations you get that early input instead of it coming back to you anyway."

On FR QB AJ Duffy: "He has a relationship with all the coaches. His poise, his control. It felt like he was here even when he wasn't here. Recruiting other players, questions after the game."

On working with Norvell: If you look at his track record, every coach feels like they have a voice, input. He almost becomes like an assistant coach. wanting to hear more football."

Said the continuity with FSU promotions from within, already knowing players on the team is "huge."

On being an OL coach promoted to OC. Said some HC prefer QB coach to be and OC: "I give a lot of props to Coach Norvell for thinking outside the norm."

On QB Jordan Travis: "Is awesome because he is in groups texts with the o-line. I stand next to him basically the whole practice. He also is heavily involved in protections." Said the rest of the team loves playing with him and really responds to him.

On the OL: "The relationship has been established and I can't wait to see them grow together."

On wanting to be an OC: "I have always loved all aspects of football and all aspects of offense. I want to see what's going on elsewhere (away from OL), I love ball. To me personally, I have always wanted to run an offense."

On the transfer portal. Said it helps to develop younger players and build continuity because you don't have to play the younger guys right away.

And that is all from today, yall! Have a great day and check back later for more content.

----------------------

Good morning!

New FSU offensive coordinator Alex Atkins is meeting with the media this morning via Zoom for his first interview since the promotion. We'll have updates here, followed by the video and story, etc.

The interview is set for 9:30 a.m. ET, so check back around then.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News