ADVERTISEMENT

Updates from Norvell pre-spring press conference (w/ video)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017

Norvell gives local anchor Allison Posey time to set up before he starts his press conference.
Now we're starting. He says he's excited about what he's seen, and they've added 23 newcomers this January, "it's the largest number of newcomers" he's ever had joining the team in January. He says he believes it's the largest number in the country.

"We're bigger, we're stronger, we're faster .. we've challenged them. This has been a grueling offseason program." Says they're trying to push them in all aspects, on the field, off the field, classroom.

"I do believe they understand what it is to work. We push them at a high level. ... They feel and understand that expectation. And I also feel they understand how to respond."

"Now, it's time to become consistent and eliminate so many of the ups and downs we've seen."

Says tomorrow morning they get a chance to go put it into action. Says coaches did walk-through this morning because some coaches are in different roles. So, trainers, assistants, managers, coaches are all on the same page going into tomorrow.

"We're still a young team. We only have eight seniors on this team."

"We've added to the level of competition we're going to see at each position."

"You have returning production, guys that have played a lot of football ... we've got a lot of guys on our team that were thrown into the fire earlier in their career than maybe some of them were truly prepared for. .. We're seeing major strides taking place, and now you add more competition from newcomers into the program. That competition is going to be fierce at all positions."

He says there will probably be some ugliness early with so many newcomers going through practice, but it'll be a great experience for all the newcomers.

In that eight weeks of time, he says he is absolutely excited about what he's seen from the 23 newcomers.

He says it's a "great dynamic for us" that so many players are on the roster and available for the spring. "We've never had the access to this many players, you're going to see more 1s 2s and 3s rolling through practice than you've seen ... it's about the opportunity to showcase the development. ... Where you were last year is where you were. It is a new day, new opportunity for everybody."

On all the support staff that's been added: "I'm absolutely grateful to the administration ... it's a necessity, too. ... Making sure you have resources and support to provide these young men and staff what's needed. Whether it's player acquisition at the high school level and the college transfer level. ... It's all important. I'm excited about the people we've been able to bring in."

"We've added great length, size, explosiveness in our movements. Finding guys that are embracing challenges they know are ahead. ... Adding those like-minded individuals who are .... we're definitely starting to look the part. ... Now you see the growth (of the young guys) ... I'm excited to see and I definitely think we're getting close."

On WR: Says there is a versatility among all them. Size, speed, special teams impact. Says they wanted to have a mix of experience and play-making ability. ... Says he feels very confident what that's going to add to the receiving corps and he thinks it'll help the young guys, too.

Says he's very excited about the OL position. On the transfers: "You see their size. They're grown men. ... Very intelligent young men. ... You couple that with the guys we have returning." Says Rob Scott had a really good offseason. Says they're going to work with Darius Washington's versatility because he's played tackle and guard. "I'm excited about our guys up front." Says this is a "huge spring" for Lloyd Willis. Mentions Rod Orr and Thomas Shrader as well. Zane Herring got a mention as well. "We've got some great experience and some newcomers that can absolutely play."

Says Bethune and Benson have done a "remarkable job since they've been here." Says he likes what they have coming back at linebacker. "I think that's really going to move to a strength of our defense."

"Trey Benson has been really good. ... Might be one of the fastest individuals we have on this team. ... He's clear to go in all aspects. We knew that when we brought him in, but just seeing some things in his agility and movement." Says they'll probably have same approach they had with Corbin when he came in off an injury from A&M.

Says from Jordan Travis he just wants to see continued growth and confidence. "It's time to take that next step." ... "He's got that knack to him, the development as a passer, development just as a quarterback in general, we're excited about. Those next steps are there available to him ... I really do think he has a special future in front of him."

Says Josh Farmer "looks remarkable."

On Verse so far: "Jared is relatively young. ... I'm really excited about all the things. Physically, he's special. Size, speed, combination of the maturity he brings. ... I think we got a special player and special young man." Says he's excited about DE as a whole, with Dennis being moved there, and then Leonard Warner coming back.

Says it's going to be a big spring for all the quarterbacks.

"I think we surrounded him with some really talented guys" -- he says of Travis.

Says he's been pleased with Rodemaker. He's a prime example of somebody that was thrown into the fire a bit too young. "His confidence is night and day to where it was, understanding what to do and where to go ... now he's got to go execute it.

Says he had big expectations with A.J, "he's got great size, he's probably close to 230 pounds," Says he's posted some of the fastest times on the team for big skill guys, but now he's got to go get his reps. He's going to have some growing pains, but he's got to get better and learn from those mistakes.

On play-calling: "It's something I enjoy being able to do." Says it was important at the beginning to have an all-inclusive approach to the program. "I will not be the offensive coordinator here." Says they will have a coordinated approach. On both sides of the ball. "I'm excited about where we are, I think we're getting really close. We need to take a jump. We need to go through this spring and see those steps taken. .... This is an exciting time around the program. I'm really looking forward to the spring and the direction we're heading."

On Randy Shannon: Says he brings a great dynamic to the staff. "You see their excitement when it comes to who they have leading them, and also what they're being asked to do and how they're being asked to do it. ... We were fortunate to be able to have that continuity. ... It's definitely been really good. Randy and Adam work remarkably together. ... It was a no-brainer when we had Coach Shannon to get on the field."

And that's a wrap! I'm done typing!
Go have a great day!

--------------------------------

What's up, folks?
We're live here at the varsity club for the annual pre-spring press conference.
We're scheduled to get Mike Norvell at 11:30 a.m. and then we'll have access to all the coaches from around noon to 1. So, be on the lookout for lots of video in the coming hours.
Hang tight and stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News