ADVERTISEMENT

Updates from Tuesday's first preseason practice (LATE UPDATE WITH NEW FISHER VIDEO)

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
Jimbo's post-practice interview:

POST-PRACTICE UPDATE

Jimbo was pleased with the first practice. Joked that everyone looks good in shorts, but he said the tempo was very good and he liked the attentive and wanted to learn. Said he saw a lot of great attitudes.

He said there's often a lot of anxiety for the freshmen on the first day, so they try to help them through that. But he was very pleased with the freshmen.

Says he encourages the freshmen to not worry about being third or fourth string right now. "I don't have a depth chart right now," he said. He wants them to just focus on learning. They'll get plenty of opportunities to move up.

On Purifoy getting reps at DE, Fisher said he'll be splitting reps at LB and DE. Not a full-time change.

When asked about Derrick Kelly getting reps with the ones at RT, Fisher said he has really come a long way. Is much stronger now and healthy again.

We'll have more coming soon, including video interviews of Fisher and Derwin James.

-----------------
EARLY REPORT

FSU opened preseason practice around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, and the media were allowed in for about 20-25 minutes, which is more than usual.

Our Ryan S. Clark has a full breakdown of the freshmen which you can find here.

I checked out things from a broader perspective and will post some observations here. Gene took a ton of great photos, which he'll begin posting soon. And Ryan Kelly shot some great sights and sounds video, which will be posted soon as well.

Onto the observations and notes:

* The placekickers started things off with Ricky Aguayo and Logan Tyler taking turns from various distances. Looked like Aguayo was the more consistent of the two, which isn't surprising. Tyler looks great on some but isn't as consistent.

* Also during special teams, they worked several guys as returners, including Noonie Murray, Levonta Taylor, Derwin James, D.J. Matthews, Keith Gavin, Zaquandre White, Cam Akers and I think Khalan Laborn too. They'll be looking at a lot of guys early in camp. Jimbo has said they need to get the return game going this season.

* Got to watch some of the offensive linemen, and there was nothing really out of the ordinary. During the portion we saw, Leonard, Ball and Williams were working at left tackle. Saw Derrick Kelly and Brock Ruble getting reps at right tackle, which was what Jimbo said earlier today. Some of the guys rotating at guard were Dickerson, Minshew, Robbins and Frith. I didn't see everyone, but those were the ones I noticed. And of course, Eberle, Johnson and Boselli at center.

* The only possible position change I saw was Delvin Purifoy working with the defensive ends instead of the linebackers. Not sure if that's a permanent thing or not. We'll ask Jimbo.

* Speaking of the defensive ends, Lawing was very complimentary during drills of Sweat, Burns and Kaindoh. He also praised Janarius Robinson for his improvement. Couple of the younger guys were a little raw, as to be expected, but Lawing was encouraging them. The coaches are doing a lot of teaching on the first day.

* The QBs spent most of their time with the RBs and TEs when we were there. Jacques Patrick looks to be in very good shape. Wonder if he's dropped some pounds. ... Izzo looked very good as usual, and Tre McKitty showed very impressive hands. He had a couple of nice one-handed catches, including one that was thrown hard behind him as he came across the middle. He's an impressive receiver. Izzo also got major praise from Tim Brewster when he went up and grabbed a very hard-thrown ball from Francois. "There ya go, big dog!" Brewster said. It was a great catch.

* QBs were about what you'd expect. Francois looked great, and Rizzo throws a very nice ball. Cosentino is still a little inconsistent, and the young guys are as well. But they're definitely talented.

* Saw a little bit of the DB drills, and of course, Derwin looks super impressive.

* There was a NY Jets scout in attendance.

We'll have much more coming soon, as I mentioned at the top. Plus we'll talk to Jimbo and some players after practice.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News