ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Updates: FSU BOT meeting, unanimous vote to push forward with legal filing

CurtWeiler

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
Just in from FSU: There will be a previously-unscheduled FSU Board of Trustees meeting tomorrow at 10 a.m. It will be virtual and open to media/public and is expected to be a revamped discussion of FSU’s future in the ACC and a possible way out through testing the Grant of Rights agreement legally.

Here's the agenda which has only one new business item on it: Legal matters related to Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.

And here's the video link for those who want to watch along live:

We'll be sharing updates from the meeting in this thread.

Last edited:
Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

The next BOT meeting needs to be announcing FSU leaving for the B10 or SEC.

Anything else is making us look like fools and isn’t winning us any friends in higher places.

Gene Corrigan built the ACC to a powerhouse conference and ushered in FSU.

Boo Corrigan, his son, killed it.
And he’s relegating the remaining schools to also ran status as well.
Hope NCSU is happy with that. They seem to be such classy folks anyway from what our fans report when they’ve been up to Raleigh.

Why does it seem like FSU is doing all the leg work for UNC, Miami, Clemson, and others to get out of the ACC?

Are the mentioned schools doing anything about the GOR? You know if FSU finds a way they’ll use it to their advantage.

How about B10 or SEC, who would benefit from adding mentioned schools, are they assisting in finding a way out of the GOR?

Last edited:
Why does it seem like FSU is doing all the leg work for UNC, Miami, Clemson, and others to get out of the ACC?

Are the mentioned schools doing anything about the GOR? You know if FSU finds a way they’ll use it to their advantage.
Someone has to be the leader. Maybe all those schools decided FSU is the leader. Or perhaps we decided on our own. I'm good with either of those methods.

It’s good to have people like you in the know. Now I won’t have to pay attention to this tomorrow, Ty.
I could tell you what I think or what I've supposedly heard and be wrong. Would that be better? I'd rather be wrong about this. We get plenty of inaccurate information on here as it is. No need to add to it.

I heard a rumor, and again, just a rumor, that FSU was working to get a $125M loan financed, which just happens to be the exit fee I believe. It all seems to point that FSU has gotten the financing part taken care of and possibly plan to pay the exit fee and head to the BIG 10. That’s the only way we could get into the BIG10 without waiting on the GoR to expire. Because while ESPN would still broadcast our games, the BIG10, and FSU would not receive a dime. And I’m sure that FOX that broadcast most of the BIG10 games, and the BIG10 that would not receive any revenue from FSU playing games on ESPN would not be happy as well. If we were going to the SEC, and considering ESPN owns the broadcast rights for the SEC and ACC, we would've already announced that FSU is going to the SEC. Of course, that may be what the Friday meeting is about, but the money trail leads to FSU leaving the ACC sooner rather than later for the BIG10.

I heard a rumor, and again, just a rumor, that FSU was working to get a $125M loan financed, which just happens to be the exit fee I believe. It all seems to point that FSU has gotten the financing part taken care of and possibly plan to pay the exit fee and head to the BIG 10. That’s the only way we could get into the BIG10 without waiting on the GoR to expire. Because while ESPN would still broadcast our games, the BIG10, and FSU would not receive a dime. And I’m sure that FOX that broadcast most of the BIG10 games, and the BIG10 that would not receive any revenue from FSU playing games on ESPN would not be happy as well. If we were going to the SEC, and considering ESPN owns the broadcast rights for the SEC and ACC, we would've already announced that FSU is going to the SEC. Of course, that may be what the Friday meeting is about, but the money trail leads to FSU leaving the ACC sooner rather than later for the BIG10.
Seems like if they announced they needed $125 million to get out, they could find a way to get that covered in a fund raiser. It's not as huge as what was speculated as the GOR buyout.

Just like the Battles End boomed when they marketed getting new members after the snub, I think the boosters could raise a ton, if not all of that $125 million if they told boosters it was getting us out of the ACC.

Reactions: Raphael - MC
Uh Huh Yes GIF

I love reading these posts, and I remain optimistic. I just cannot imagine any scenario where we join the SEC. Why would the SEC ever invite us to join unless we were a package deal with some other schools they coveted. The only option has to be the B10, but I get that you could never let them know they were your only option.

I love reading these posts, and I remain optimistic. I just cannot imagine any scenario where we join the SEC. Why would the SEC ever invite us to join unless we were a package deal with some other schools they coveted. The only option has to be the B10, but I get that you could never let them know they were your only option.
Why would FSU be the SEC's first option? We are not new territory, and they already have their foot on our neck. Not sure what they have to gain by adding FSU vs some other teams like UVA and UNC. Plus, if the SEC were to try to add FSU and Clemson there would be major pushback from USC, Florida, Auburn and Bama. Why give someone you're recruiting against in your own backyard any advantage?

Why would FSU be the SEC's first option? We are not new territory, and they already have their foot on our neck. Not sure what they have to gain by adding FSU vs some other teams like UVA and UNC. Plus, if the SEC were to try to add FSU and Clemson there would be major pushback from USC, Florida, Auburn and Bama. Why give someone you're recruiting against in your own backyard any advantage?
While I hope we end up in the BIG, but regardless of whether we are new territory for the SEC, FSU has a lot to offer any conference at the moment. Viewership is through the roof, the program is winning and has a trajectory to continue to climb. UF may not like it, but at the end of the day, if adding FSU to a conference results in tons more money, UF won't have too much say. They are not in much of a position to demand anything at the moment with their current ratings.

While I hope we end up in the BIG, but regardless of whether we are new territory for the SEC, FSU has a lot to offer any conference at the moment. Viewership is through the roof, the program is winning and has a trajectory to continue to climb. UF may not like it, but at the end of the day, if adding FSU to a conference results in tons more money, UF won't have too much say. They are not in much of a position to demand anything at the moment with their current ratings.
Switch UF for FSU and the SEC wins!

Reactions: summit2001
Word I got from a SEC guy, they want FSU, Clemson, NC and Miami - locking up the 2 big FLA schools keeps the Big10 out of the SEC "foot print"

How about B10 or SEC, who would benefit from adding mentioned schools, are they assisting in finding a way out of the GOR?

Can any insider answer these questions? @Jerry Kutz @CurtWeiler @Bob Ferrante @Fishbits and whoever else I’m missing that represents The Osceola ?

Oklahoma and Texas moved in silence. As did USC and Oregon. As is Clemson, UNC and Miami.

The quiet part needs to be said aloud…FSU looks desperate and handling this like an online university. Even if we get into a new conference we’re bringing a poor reputation with us. Perception matters.

Reactions: fredfarkle336
FSU is not leaving the ACC without a place to land. That 125M is just to get out. And its likely more like 100M.

If a P2 conference wants to take us at full share with no rights, this is easy. Announce and move. Let everyone else deal with the financial aspect.

If a P2 won't do that, then it's harder. We cannot leave until we resolve the rights.

I happen to believe if we had clean rights, we would have invites from both. Yes, even the SEC.

I don't think we have them.

So what is tomorrow about? I have seen too many reports that it's to authorize litigation. I do not know if that is true. If it is, I think it is very bad news for anyone saying it would be Q1.

Reactions: buckeyenole
Can any insider answer these questions? @Jerry Kutz @CurtWeiler @Bob Ferrante @Fishbits and whoever else I’m missing that represents The Osceola ?

Oklahoma and Texas moved in silence. As did USC and Oregon. As is Clemson, UNC and Miami.

The quiet part needs to be said aloud…FSU looks desperate and handling this like an online university. Even if we get into a new conference we’re bringing a poor reputation with us. Perception matters.
I read this as a bad sign. Like you, I think if it could be worked out it would have been behind closed doors. Then we would announce. If we are approving litigation, it sure suggests we were not getting close to a deal and we could not delay any more.

Reactions: 12Nole
I read this as a bad sign. Like you, I think if it could be worked out it would have been behind closed doors. Then we would announce. If we are approving litigation, it sure suggests we were not getting close to a deal and we could not delay any more.
Counselor, I don't dismiss your concern, but can't we all acknowledge that there may be good reason to file now that didn't exist previously and prompted action now for very tangible, tactical reasons. Your post here makes a lot of assumptions of where the negotiations were and were not. Let's just let it play out some.

And he’s relegating the remaining schools to also ran status as well.
Hope NCSU is happy with that. They seem to be such classy folks anyway from what our fans report when they’ve been up to Raleigh.
They are meaningless.
Have never won anything besides a basketball championship decades ago.
They are the Missouri of the SEC or the Wisconsin of the B10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT