ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT vs Chile

fsUTampa

Star Player
May 31, 2003
Played well at times, but tough to lose 3-2 after being up 2-1. Would've been nice for FIFA rankings. Did anyone catch this? And any thoughts on the 3-5-2, especially with Jermaine Jones being the CB? Seems Jones is completely lost back there (and doesn't help that he's matched up with equally-lost Besler)

It was wide open from the beginning which is good for action, but hard on defense. I liked our creativity at times, but they controlled the game and possession. We need to control possession and I'm not sold on a 3 man back line. I know he did it because of the players available, but we need a lot of work if we are going to keep that. I like that he played a lot of young guys. Too often coaches stick with older veterans rather than giving youth a chance.

I really feel like Jones and Bradley are playing out of position, but I'm ok with experimentation at this time of the season since it really doesn't impact World Cup seeding too heavily this far out. I enjoyed seeing Brek Shea get a goal since he's now with Orlando City and that's the first I've really had to see him play. (Looks like he ran out of gas in the second half). And the passing that led to Jozy's goal was beautiful.

Our play towards the end of the first half and the entire second half was abysmal though. We still lack any ability to control the ball in the midfield and there were more holes in our defense than swiss cheese.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT