ADVERTISEMENT

Walt Bell reminds of what I heard about Dabo before he was head coach

northvanole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
May 2, 2003
When Tommy Bowden was getting a lot of heat as head coach of Clemson, a friend and avid Tiger football fan told me about Dabo well before Tommy was fired. Dabo wasn't even a coordinator and I didn't think that Clemson would fire someone with the last name of Bowden and replace him with a position coach - wide receivers. And who has a name like "Dabo"? But my friend told me that this guy was the recruiting machine for Clemson and he was the one that the program would look to. I laughed. (If I recall, Dabo was the recruiting coordinator after Stockstill left)

Well, to us, Dabo did not light the world on fire as HC at the beginning. He recruited well, but his play calling was suspect and CU would lose games they should not lose. But he was never loyal to a non performing assistant and when he finally got the staff that clicked, it's off to the races. Even look how many CU juniors are returning this year. He recruits and re-recruits.

Corey's article is pretty interesting. What if Dabo became an OC before a HC? We might have something like that here. With Taggart, getting an OC was not the most important position to fill - DC and OLine coach was way more critical. Walt Bell may turn out to be a big catch for us. He might be the first one to leave to become a HC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News