ADVERTISEMENT

WARCHANT Bourbon Thread

I'll restart - to we mortals without access to Pappy's ….
.. .take it

- neat or with a cube
Always neat

- Blanton's or Wellers?
Weller if it’s 107, Full Proof, or 12.

- Woodford or Makers?
Depends on which we’re talking about.

- Old Forrester or Jefferson's?
Old Fo for me.

- Ever acceptable to have a slice of lime with bourbon?
No, but drink it how you like.

Why is bourbon better than other US whiskey?
Depends on your preference. But Bourbon by law is America’s spirit.

What about Yippee Ki Yay
It’s a very unique profile. Not my cup of tea, but it has a cult following.

Is Rye whiskey better than Canadian Whiskey or Tennessee Whiskey?
I’m a fan of Kentucky Ryes. TN whiskey is sugar maple charcoal filtered after distillation. Canadian is trash.

Crown Royal or Jack Daniels?
JD, especially the barrel proof.

What goes best with a cigar ….
Everything is better with a cigar

Please … anything but more waiting on Bob ….

My useless opinions @bucknole72

Buffalo Trace for sippping. Also Costco has the Kirkland brand bourbon which is very good. The old go to when mixing with coke would be Jim Beam

Haven’t read the whole thread yet but I’m going to recommend to anyone who ever travels through Colorado, to make your way to FairPlay and go to The Snitching Lady distillery. They are the highest distillery in the US and they age all their whiskey on the side of a 14er. Between the finest natural water supply and the high altitude, it makes for some damn fine whiskey.

The owners and distillers are a coupla Boys from Appalachia and they are following their grand pappy’s old recipes from before prohibition. They aren’t the brightest boys at marketing and business but I’ve enjoyed a lot of whiskey in my years and if there’s a bottle of theirs around, it’s always the first thing I’m grabbing. Damn fine stuff.

oh and I believe they just won a national award for their Blue Corn Whiskey. It’s different but still really good.

Reactions: combee1 and -OB1-
You know the BIB just got Whiskey Advocate’s Whiskey of the Year?

I did not know that, but I learned long ago not to chase the “experts” picks. I often end up disappointed.

I will say it does not surprise me. My brother and I blind tasted it against several other BiB’s, including EHT, 1792, EW, New Riff, and McKenna. Dickel represented very well. In fact, I’m pretty sure I wrote in my notes that I thought it was very well crafted, well rounded and balanced, while being unique in profile. Distinctly different from the rest. I sip on it on occasion when I want something a little different. It never disappoints, and at a great price point.

Cheers

Reactions: -OB1-
Haven’t read the whole thread yet but I’m going to recommend to anyone who ever travels through Colorado, to make your way to FairPlay and go to The Snitching Lady distillery. They are the highest distillery in the US and they age all their whiskey on the side of a 14er. Between the finest natural water supply and the high altitude, it makes for some damn fine whiskey.

The owners and distillers are a coupla Boys from Appalachia and they are following their grand pappy’s old recipes from before prohibition. They aren’t the brightest boys at marketing and business but I’ve enjoyed a lot of whiskey in my years and if there’s a bottle of theirs around, it’s always the first thing I’m grabbing. Damn fine stuff.

oh and I believe they just won a national award for their Blue Corn Whiskey. It’s different but still really good.
Brands?

I did not know that, but I learned long ago not to chase the “experts” picks. I often end up disappointed.

I will say it does not surprise me. My brother and I blind tasted it against several other BiB’s, including EHT, 1792, EW, New Riff, and McKenna. Dickel represented very well. In fact, I’m pretty sure I wrote in my notes that I thought it was very well crafted, well rounded and balanced, while being unique in profile. Distinctly different from the rest. I sip on it on occasion when I’m want something a little different. It never disappoints, and at a great price point.

Cheers

I think it was just announced today. I agree though... Dickel not an everyday drinker, but I enjoy it from time to time when my taster is wanting something different. The BIB is a great pour, especially for the money.

Reactions: combee1
I'll restart - to we mortals without access to Pappy's ….
.. .take it

- neat or with a cube

- Blanton's or Wellers?
- Woodford or Makers?
- Old Forrester or Jefferson's?

- Ever acceptable to have a slice of lime with bourbon?

Why is bourbon better than other US whiskey? What about Yippee Ki Yay

Is Rye whiskey better than Canadian Whiskey or Tennessee Whiskey?

Crown Royal or Jack Daniels?

What goes best with a cigar ….

Please … anything but more waiting on Bob ….
No Knob Creek fans? Surprised !

Picked this up tonight from a guy on the MainBoard. I asked if someone had a Blantons with a 10/09/19 dump date as that was when my son was born and boom, the MainBoard answered.
BC5-CEAA0-5717-405-A-A52-F-52-A7066-A9611.png

The Gold is a completely different animal, and well worth the chase in my opinion.
I just bought two bottles of Blantons Gold from wwwDOTthewhiskeyexchange.com for $236 shipped to the US. The kicker, they don’t ship to NC (or FL) so I sent to
My buddy in NYC as I’ll be there next week for work.

Reactions: -OB1- and combee1
Yeah Japanese whiskey is styled to be like scotch, very similar. beautiful liquors though on their own right

Yeah Japanese whiskey is styled to be like scotch, very similar. beautiful liquors though on their own right
Picked up a few bottles of Hibiki 12 when I was in Tokyo back in 2013, gave one to my father, one to my father in law and kept one. Never opened mine and can’t believe it sells for $400 a bottle now.

Reactions: combee1 and -OB1-
@bucknole72 They moved this thread to the Locker Room (which is now practically dead since it went premium)

Change the thread title to Warchant Bourbon Thread, The Bourbon Thread, or something like that. We’ll keep this thing going. It’s a great thread.

Reactions: Nole_Dynasty
You’re going to have to raise your Dickel up closer to your Pappy... lol

And why you hiding that Old Fitz?! That’s the first bottle I’m coming for.

I’m running out of room! These shelves are commercial grade (no bowing) from Amazon & right now they don’t have the matching ones to these. I’m hoping they restock so I can pick up two more.

You want the 13 or the 14? ;)

To each his own, but I really can't understand how people can favor both Blanton's and Weller. They are so different. Here is a fact: Buffalo Trace distillery, the #1 bourbon distillery in the world as far as esteem goes, has four mashes--and only four mashes. All of their products come from one of those four mashes. Mash#1 is their low-rye mash. Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace and Benchmark all are made from this mash. Benchmark is pulled out after three years, Buffalo Trace after 8, and Eagle Rare after 10 and 12 years. Obviously the difference in aging (and where the barrels are in the warehouse and how they are rotated) makes a difference in taste, but there is obviously a similarity. MASH#2 is their wheated mash. From this comes Pappy Van Winkel and Weller and a few speciality products. I've had a shot of Weller and Pappy's side by side and they were very close in taste, but not in price ($70 for Pappy, $23 for Weller). Pappy's is generally aged much longer. MASH#3--is their high rye mash. This is where Blanton's comes from and it is why I find it odd that people can like the high-rye Blantons as much as the no-rye Weller. Several other good bourbons come from this mash. MASH#4 is a rye mash and it is principally Sazerac. Bourbon by law has to be 51% corn mash or more, and most of it is 59% or more. The mash is then cut by rye in about 90-95% of bourbons. A very few cut the mash with wheat instead of rye--all Makers Mark products, Pappys, Weller, etc. A low rye bourbon means the mash is likely 70 or 75% or more corn, while a high rye mash means it is likely only 60% or so corn. Expert bourbon drinkers usually prefer a higher-rye bourbon like Blantons and frequently turn their noses up at the "wheaties". I vastly prefer the wheated bourbons with Weller being my #1 choice, but I can almost never find it. I prefer Makers 46 over regular Makers. Three other bourbons I really like and admit I don't know their mash content are: Michters, excellent...Jefferson's Ocean, much to my surprise...and I really like Buffalo Trace.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
A lot of distilleries do the same with mashbills... It has to do with where/which rackhouse they are stored or located, which level rick in the rackhouse they are stored, as well as the mashbill.

For instance, Jim Beam only has two mashbills. Jim Beam & Old Grand Dad. Where the JB mashbill is stored & how long it’s stored designates which brand. JB mashbill makes Beam, Knob Creek, Baker’s, & Booker’s. Old Grand Dad mashbill makes OGD, OGD Bonded, OGD 114, get this...Basil Hayden. Yes, Basil Hayden is just older OGD stocks proofed down to 80 proof & stuck in a fancier bottle.

Also, Stagg Jr is just higher proofed Buffalo Trace. George T Stagg Antique Collection is just Buffalo Trace honey barrels aged longer. Eagle Rare is the same mash as both just aged lower in the rackhouse for at least 10 years.

I could go on & on... I still like Weller & Blanton’s though. ;)

I’m running out of room! These shelves are commercial grade (no bowing) from Amazon & right now they don’t have the matching ones to these. I’m hoping they restock so I can pick up two more.

You want the 13 or the 14? ;)

I can only pick one? Ha ha.

Did you go to Heaven Hill to get the 14? Or secondary? I was able to pick up the Fall 2019 (9 year) and I love it. Hands down my favorite wheater. I’ve been trying to work down the price on a 13 for a couple months now.

That’s quite the collection you’ve put together

Last edited:
Reactions: -OB1-
I can only pick one? Ha ha.

Did you go to Heaven Hill to get the 14? Or secondary? I was able to pick up the Fall 2019 (9 year) and I love it. Hands down my favorite wheater. I’ve bern trying to work down the price on a 13 for a couple months now.

That’s quite the collection you’ve put together

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I picked up the 14 at Heaven Hill. They’re all very good , but honestly the 9 may be the best of the bunch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT