ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday practice updates (Pittsburgh week)

CurtWeiler

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
We just wrapped at the final practice availability of the week before Saturday's Pittsburgh game. Here are some updates:

• Out of nowhere, it was shockingly cold this morning in Tallahassee. Like low 30s when I woke up and only got into the low 50s by end of practice. It certainly felt like some higher power was trying to give FSU a preview of the weather conditions it could be dealing with Saturday at Pittsburgh. On the cold weather, Mike Norvell said after practice, "It'll distract you if you allow it to distract you. Today was good, it was chilly here for Tallahassee, but it's still about how you're going to go and get the work done. Probably affected the media more than anyone else."
  • Wednesday's practice was a very good one for wide receiver Darion Williamson. He had a number of battles against Renardo Green over the course of the day's work. Green beat him on the first play of 11-on-11 in the middle of practice, ripping the ball out of his hands after he appeared to catch it. However, Williamson got his revenge the very next play, making a spectacular one-handed catch to beat Green on a back-shoulder throw. Williamson also beat the starting cornerback twice in 1-on-1s, first beating Green on a nice route and then coming back to the ball with a leaping snag to win the rep. On Williamson, Norvell said "We've all seen the flashes of what Darion can be, but as he's been healthy, I think he's got a great, great upside and ceiling. He can be a special player. I think he's more confident, he's continuing to build upon that. He's done wonderful things for us this year on special teams and he's caught some big passes and things like that. He's going to continue to ascend and we're expecting him to really make a difference."
  • Destyn Hill was again practicing Wednesday morning, wearing a non-contact green jersey. He also made a few plays and seems to be in line for a potential return this weekend after missing the last two games. Norvell said "He's looked good the last couple of days. I'm expecting him to be able to make an impact. How much that is we'll see as we get closer. Same thing with the other guys (Johnny Wilson and Hykeem Williams). You go through a week and sometimes guys progress faster early in the week and then we've seen some guys ramped up as we get a little closer. They're pushing hard, doing a great job of taking care of their bodies, getting the work that is necessary."
  • The FSU offense was tasked with a one-minute drill scenario early in Wednesday's practice. Jordan Travis marched the offense down to the edge of the red zone with completions to Lawrance Toafili and Markeston Douglas, but the drive ran out of time there and Travis' end zone shot as time expired was broken up, denying what was almost an incredible leaping catch by Vandrevius Jacobs. I also thought Brock Glenn threw a couple really nice balls to Joshua Burrell during scout-team work and to Jackson West in the back corner of the end zone during pass skelly 7-on-7.
  • In addition to the ball he ripped away from Williamson, Renardo Green had another ball he ripped out from Burrell during the day's work. He continues to flash impressive ball skills as a defensive back. Conrad Hussey also had an interception of Jordan Travis during 7-on-7 work, sitting underneath a route perfectly and coming away with a takeaway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News