ADVERTISEMENT

West side nole needs some help.

plnole

All-ACC
Oct 20, 2002
Ok i know this may not be the place for this so I'm sorry off the start. 40 year seminoles fan been a war chant member since 2002. I need some help, My son has been accepted into FSU for the spring 2018 year through pathway program. We live in San Diego a little concerned with going through tallahassee community college for first semester . Can anyone please give a die hard seminole fan a little advise or honesty , on what to do .Son is nervous doesn't want to make the wrong decision. Again I'm sorry for posting here but when all else fails i go to Warchant brothers for advise . Go noles .

Ok i know this may not be the place for this so I'm sorry off the start. 40 year seminoles fan been a war chant member since 2002. I need some help, My son has been accepted into FSU for the spring 2018 year through pathway program. We live in San Diego a little concerned with going through tallahassee community college for first semester . Can anyone please give a die hard seminole fan a little advise or honesty , on what to do .Son is nervous doesn't want to make the wrong decision. Again I'm sorry for posting here but when all else fails i go to Warchant brothers for advise . Go noles .
TCC is a great school. A lot of kids transfer out of there to FSU. There are affordable nice apartments across the street from there also. Food joints all around that area as well!!!

You have distance issues but I don’t think TCC is a bad choice. My daughter is starting there in August. And she’s living over by the school, not at home.

And if you don’t have family look me up when you move him in. We can get him some home cooked meals from time to time and someone local if he needs help with something.

As a very recent graduate of FSU, I can say that plenty of my friends and acquaintances spent some time at TCC and he won't feel out of place at all. Biggest issue will be finding an apartment complex because I imagine he won't be able to live on campus his first year. But there are a lot of good complexes in that area that will make him feel comfortable. Other big issue is he might feel excluded from on campus events that first semester, but if it's possible for him to get a car that would be a big help because most everything to do is within walking distance of FSU campus but not within walking distance of TCC, i know a freind who went through a tough time her first semester because she had no way of getting to and from events from her off campus apartment

Reactions: plnole and c691027
You have distance issues but I don’t think TCC is a bad choice. My daughter is starting there in August. And she’s living over by the school, not at home.

And if you don’t have family look me up when you move him in. We can get him some home cooked meals from time to time and someone local if he needs help with something.
You, Sir are a scholar and a gentleman.

Thanks so much guys. Yeah its a tough call for any parent but my son lost him mom at 8 to breast cancer. His dream has been to become a seminole, and its just this first semester thats keeping him from it. some of you have hit on his concerns like not being near FSU for football season and commuting between schools. And he feels like kids on campus will start friendships before he checks in , in january . And i guess he's hoping to be able top get the classes he need to transfer in . Out here in the crap of California it sometimes could be difficult to get the classes you need . Anyway thanks for the help, its ultimately his call i apparent you letting take this thread on here. GO NOLES

He would need a car. That’s one thing. But it’s doable. Would he have an option of going someplace else for a year then transferring? Someplace close to you? Then he could move into a dorm (the ideal for a move that far) but I don’t know how that works. Let us know what he decides though.

don't think he has the option of doing classes out here. Pathway program seems pretty strict . The needing a car thing kind of worries me that may not be doable . Thank you again,

Reactions: miawisenole
don't think he has the option of doing classes out here. Pathway program seems pretty strict . The needing a car thing kind of worries me that may not be doable . Thank you again,
Are you familiar with tally layout and schools?

TCC has no dorms and I can’t imagine he could get into a dorm at FSU mid year. It would be really hard to commute to TCC, even from close by, without wheels. I don’t know exactly though. Some places may have shuttles and stuff, but that still isolates him where he is.

It’s all close if he can get around. I’m sure there are plenty of people to meet in apartment complexes but it is harder than living in a dorm. Some complexes will match up roommates like in dorms.

You could look at the independent building or apartments where the frats are if you want it easy to make lots of friends fast. That said that’s not an ideal freshman situation party wise.

Reactions: plnole
Thanks so much guys. Yeah its a tough call for any parent but my son lost him mom at 8 to breast cancer. His dream has been to become a seminole, and its just this first semester thats keeping him from it. some of you have hit on his concerns like not being near FSU for football season and commuting between schools. And he feels like kids on campus will start friendships before he checks in , in january . And i guess he's hoping to be able top get the classes he need to transfer in . Out here in the crap of California it sometimes could be difficult to get the classes you need . Anyway thanks for the help, its ultimately his call i apparent you letting take this thread on here. GO NOLES
No real advice for you sir, but my daughter graduates next month from USD (grew up here in Orlando) and didn't know anyone west of Gainesville when she moved to CA four years ago. Was very homesick & lonely after a couple of months but gutted it out and has loved every minute since (but who wouldn't living in Pacific Beach?) Just mention this to show how resilient these kids can be when faced with these challenges for the first time. He'll be fine, just don't panic if he hits a few bumps in the road.

I used to live in Osceola Hall, now Osceola Apartments. Basically a private dorm on West edge of FSU campus. Easy walk to campus and stadium. When I was there there were several TCC transitioning students, so he could also start building a network of FSU peers.

I think there is free bus service between FSU and TCC for students. I lived there for two years and never needed a car (several pretty girls with rich patents helped).

BTW, I live in Del Mar now. Love it, but SoCal is not the place to appreciate college football season. (Also, Tavern in PB and Beachside Bar and Grill in Encinitas are FSU game watching sites. )

http://www.theosceolaapartments.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: shakane and plnole
My daughter spent 2 years at another JUCO paying softball. Instead of pursuing multiple offers/scholarships to continue playing softball at 4 year schools D1/D2 she decided it was time to pursue her lifelong dream of attending and graduating from FSU. She hung up her cleats and applied to FSU however, a few of her business courses did not transfer and she could not apply to the FSU College of Business.

Her path then took her to TCC for 1 year for her prereq courses. She actually feels very strongly that not only did TCC acclimate her to Tallahassee but she also credits TCC with making her a much better student and making her extremely successful at FSU. She frequently states that TCC was a much better academic experience than her previous softball JUCO (SCF-Bradenton/Sarasota)

Its was a great experience for her and she will graduate with honors in May from FSU College of Business.

A car was necessary due to the geography of TCC, job and her apt. She does have friends who did the same pathway without a car using public transportation. It's doable but more limiting.

Good luck and God Bless!

No real advice for you sir, but my daughter graduates next month from USD (grew up here in Orlando) and didn't know anyone west of Gainesville when she moved to CA four years ago. Was very homesick & lonely after a couple of months but gutted it out and has loved every minute since (but who wouldn't living in Pacific Beach?) Just mention this to show how resilient these kids can be when faced with these challenges for the first time. He'll be fine, just don't panic if he hits a few bumps in the road.

First semester is the toughest. Kids adjust well after that.

That's some distance but as AllNoles said TCC is a good school. My wife went back to school very late, went to TCC and transferred into FSU. Got her undergrad in psychology and is now a grad student in the school psychology program. Will be there for another 2 years. If he needs anything let us know. We always are happy to help students without families as we don't have any near by either.

Last edited:
I grew up in Irvine and came here for school. I can get you my contact info if you’re interested. I’d be glad to answer any questions. I live in Tallahassee now. My wife graduated from FSU. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Let me know.

Go Noles!!

I went to TCC before transferring to FSU. It was a great experience and was able to meet a lot of people both at FSU and TCC. Tons of kids go this route of TCC first before going to FSU.

I lived in Southgate dorms, basically a private dorm on FSU campus but allowed students from FSU, TCC, and FAMU. You would need a car or bus to travel to TCC campus, but it felt like I was on FSUs campus.

I also rushed a fraternity while at TCC. I'm not sure if this is something of interest or if this is still even allowed, but several of us from TCC were able to join a fraternity before officially becoming an FSU student.

I used to live in Osceola Hall, now Osceola Apartments. Basically a private dorm on West edge of FSU campus. Easy walk to campus and stadium. When I was there there were several TCC transitioning students, so he could also start building a network of FSU peers.

I think there is free bus service between FSU and TCC for students. I lived there for two years and never needed a car (several pretty girls with rich patents helped).

BTW, I live in Del Mar now. Love it, but SoCal is not the place to appreciate college football season. (Also, Tavern in PB and Beachside Bar and Grill in Encinitas are FSU game watching sites. )

http://www.theosceolaapartments.com/

I also lived in Osceola back in 1976-77. Great place. Our daughter lived there in her 1st year on campus recently. I would estimate 90% FSU students and the others are attending TCC or FAMU. Goggle Osceola as there is much info online about it.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but my nephew attended FSU on a similar program. We were able to get him into Southgate Dorm which is nearly on campus and he was able to take a bus to TCC. At that time, nearly 2 floors of kids were in the same program. I'm not positive, but I think they gave him access to the leach center and we enrolled him in the southgate meal plan. He did ok his first semester, but didn't make the GPA to jump to FSU after his first semester. He buckled down his second semester and was enrolled at FSU for Fall his sophomore year. At that time, the director of admission was Janice Finney. I think she started the pathway program when she retired

My son has also been accepted for the Spring 2018 Seminoles Pathways and we are having many of your same concerns. We live a thousand miles north and had a lot of questions so we took the trip down for an accepted student day. Many of our questions were answered and hopefully I can help you out. There was a dorm that they mentioned where students in this program stay, I believe it is Southgate and they are bussed to TCC I believe. Also you can check with admissions and see if they take your local community college's credits. They take ours and my son already has 50 plus dual enrollment credits so we may go this route. We checked with housing and they said that there will be openings for the spring semester as many students leave for study abroad, transfer, move off campus or it just isn't working out for them.

Everyone was incredibly accommodating so I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to admissions to voice your concerns or ask questions. We dealt with Mark Melaney and he was great. Set up meetings, tours and checked on us all day to make sure everything was going well. Like I said before we are leaning toward the local C.C. first mainly because he has taken classes there and it makes a little more financial sense for us. Hope this helps and you aren't the only ones going through this.

Last edited:
OP, consider this reality. Getting your student acclimated to FSU academic life and study habits will be much easier in the Spring or Summer semester. Introduction to College life during the Football semester has caused a few academic train wrecks. Just a thought, Spring semester could be a blessing for all involved.

Both my kids are in Tallahassee. My daughter at FSU and my son at TCC. My son lives at Southgate. Great place next to campus. I'm pretty sure it was built on the land that was the Phyrst. A car helps but I believe there is a shuttle.

Reactions: Nole87
Both my kids are in Tallahassee. My daughter at FSU and my son at TCC. My son lives at Southgate. Great place next to campus. I'm pretty sure it was built on the land that was the Phyrst. A car helps but I believe there is a shuttle.
Bladder Bust at Southgate???

Warchant nation , you guys are the best. Given us a lot to think about and good questions to ask . I guess we will be making a trip out to FSU . That also leads to another problem not many flights from San Diego into Tallahassee . Again THANK You to everyone , Go Noles

Reactions: Nole Animal
Proud TCC FSU grad here...Your son will be fine and enjoy his time at TCC as a matter of fact it think it is a really good transition point between Highschool and a large 4 year university.

Warchant nation , you guys are the best. Given us a lot to think about and good questions to ask . I guess we will be making a trip out to FSU . That also leads to another problem not many flights from San Diego into Tallahassee . Again THANK You to everyone , Go Noles
Ive lived in SoCal for last 20 years Flights from SAN to TLH have never been and probably will never be easy. Plan ahead for frequent flyer miles.. Delta to ATL or MCO (Orlando)... Or American thru DFW. Or Southwest through 15 cities you've never heard of.

Of topic, but I was in LaJolla last week for work. You guys have life figured out!! What a beautiful area!!

Man, this is awesome!!

Are you familiar with tally layout and schools?

TCC has no dorms and I can’t imagine he could get into a dorm at FSU mid year. It would be really hard to commute to TCC, even from close by, without wheels. I don’t know exactly though. Some places may have shuttles and stuff, but that still isolates him where he is.

It’s all close if he can get around. I’m sure there are plenty of people to meet in apartment complexes but it is harder than living in a dorm. Some complexes will match up roommates like in dorms.

You could look at the independent building or apartments where the frats are if you want it easy to make lots of friends fast. That said that’s not an ideal freshman situation party wise.

They have these crazy things called busses.

They have these crazy things called busses.
They do. But realistically it would be pretty isolating to move across the country and live where busses are the only way around. It’s abslotely doable but it’s not what I’d prefer for one of my kids. Living on campus with no car? Sure. Actually preferable. But off campus? Not my desire, especially that far away.

Tallahassee ... cars, bikes or Uber ... car is not essential

Wow, that is Nole Nation right there. Good stuff.

Reactions: EconSean and plnole
You guys fired me up today, reading this thread. Love seeing everyone get in here and help another Nole out. I mean this is real life, make a difference in someone's life kind of stuff. Headed to work in a great mood. Spring game this weekend. Hell yeah, GO NOLES!

Of topic, but I was in LaJolla last week for work. You guys have life figured out!! What a beautiful area!!
La Jolla seems nice for a visit, but if you stay here long enough you will develop a deep burning hatred of the Pinnipeds (Sea Lions and Seals).

Too many D-Bags from LA/SF insist on removing all humans from the La Jolla Children's Pool at the Cove, because children may pester the foul smelling water pigs. Disgusting and vicious animals (much like their LA/SF patrons).

My daughter played softball there then transferred over to FSU she had no problems My wife thinks it is an excellent school some professors teach at both schools I hear

That's correct. There are several professors teaching at both schools.

Not really relevant, but one of my son's professors at TCC was Odell's wife. He loved her class.

Ok guys I'm back. So I'm headed out to Tallahassee Tuesday to check out the schools , FSU and TCC , any suggestions on what to see or do would be appreciated i have only about 1 day and a 1/2 . Really want to say thank you again to everyone who responded before you guys are truly awesome . Real life stuff that effects my family forever and you guys helped out . Thanks you .

Ok guys I'm back. So I'm headed out to Tallahassee Tuesday to check out the schools , FSU and TCC , any suggestions on what to see or do would be appreciated i have only about 1 day and a 1/2 . Really want to say thank you again to everyone who responded before you guys are truly awesome . Real life stuff that effects my family forever and you guys helped out . Thanks you .

In your initial post, you discussed a concern about your son not building an FSU network of friends while he does his TCC time.

Definitely check out the "off campus" resident halls (basically private dorms that house many FSU and TCC students). When I was in school I stayed at both Osceola Hall/Apartments and Cash Hall. Both were easy walks to FSU campus, and had bus transportation to TCC. Others have mentioned Southside, but I'm not familiar with that one.

I hope you are able to arrange a tour of both campuses thru the Admission offices. One great stroll is Landis Green leading up to Strozier Library. Another is around Wescott Building main Admin bldg. Of course the Athletic Fields on Pensacola St. are always impressive.

Maybe you can get into the Club at the Doak and admire Bobby Bowden Field!

Have Fun!

Last edited:
My grandson lived at Southgate and loved it. Finished at TCC and is now a Jr. at Florida State. His parents are 900 miles away.

We have lived here 54 years so could help him with Doctors or Dentists if needed.

Call me at 850-556-9767 with any questions. Happy to help out if I can.

My grandson lived at Southgate and loved it. Finished at TCC and is now a Jr. at Florida State. His parents are 900 miles away.

We have lived here 54 years so could help him with Doctors or Dentists if needed.

Call me at 850-556-9767 with any questions. Happy to help out if I can.

Thank you so much. If you don't mind i will call you tomorrow in the morning i know its getting late back there. You guys are amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT