ADVERTISEMENT

What percentage of your take home goes to your mortgage?

With our combined net income it's a little over 10% , gross would be a little over 7%. We rent and have a reasonable rent price in a nice neighborhood. We've talked a little about buying a house but I really want to travel as much as possible. I live for that. She does as well so we're a good match that way.

I've done the big house, big yard, house poor thing ,already. I'm really in no hurry to go back to that lifestyle. Plus, my company is getting ready to be sold and I don't know what the future holds in that regard. I have doubts I'd be able to match what I make currently with a new company.

There is no possible way that you pay $900 for a place that your landlord is paying $3500 for. If he was paying anywhere near that cleaning, landscaping and cable would have stopped yesterday. At least be realistic in your fabricated tales.

I have two rental properties, if I was recovering less than a third of what I was putting into the place from my tenant I would be violating every orifice of that tenant contractually at my every whim. I'd probably write their Grandman and third grade teacher into the agreement too.
He's probably just renting a room from someone.

About 15% here.

There's definitely an upside to renting in some circumstances. But when we sell this house we will have been in it for 20+ years, and we'll walk away with several hundred thousand dollars. Considering that it would have cost MORE to rent this house or something similar and it would have gone up considerably over time, I can't imagine turning in the key after 20 years renting a place with nothing to show for it.

There is no possible way that you pay $900 for a place that your landlord is paying $3500 for. If he was paying anywhere near that cleaning, landscaping and cable would have stopped yesterday. At least be realistic in your fabricated tales.

I have two rental properties, if I was recovering less than a third of what I was putting into the place from my tenant I would be violating every orifice of that tenant contractually at my every whim. I'd probably write their Grandman and third grade teacher into the agreement too.

Not necessarily. We rent a an old single family home. Built in 1961, VERY minimally updated. My rent is 950 a month, but we can bike or walk anywhere we want, Gulf of Mexico included. My landlord bought this dump at the height of the market. Never intended to be a lndlord, just got stuck. Bought it for 400K and owes 350K. The plumbing is crap and we have to get the roots cleaned form the lines once or twice a year. AC is on its last legs. 2 BR 1bath, 1250 SQ FT. Were looking to buy something this year. I know for a fact my rent is less than half his mortgage payment. He doesn't want to sink a dime into it and is just hoping that someone will buy it for 350K to tear it down and build something.

You could live in a box.

img_0471.jpg

When I first started working for Performance Designs in DeLand in 2001 I rented a room in a nice house for $200. Those were the days.

Reactions: BrianNole09
16% currently. Once my wife starts working again it will be less while we pay off debts. Hopefully then we can sell at which point it will probably rise a bit.

It must take you forever to get down county or to D.C.....

Rarely go to DC and when we do, we use metro from Shady Grove.

The commute is 270 to Democracy which could be a nightmare but I don't usually leave the house until 915-930 and I am usually headed home around 430. I can work from home so traffic doesn't impact me as much as my neighbors who drive into Bethesda.

Love to hear some thoughts on this.
~17% of mine. When the wife's is added in it drops to ~10%. Of course we have spent quite a bit in maintenance and repairs this year but we cashed in some things and paid cash for that. The house is paid off in January so the mortgage drops to 0% then. Oh happy day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT