ADVERTISEMENT

What was your first financial investment?

12Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2013
How did it turn out? **First house does not count**

Last edited:
How did it turn out? **First house does not count**

Pretty sweet. For elementary I went to a private school that outlawed candy, so I would invest a buck or so every day in ten cent now and later packets and then sell them for fifty cents or more. So I learned early about taking advantage of prohibitions and the value of black markets.

Some fraternity brothers got together in 1965 and formed an investment club called BIOYA (blow it out your ass). I think we all contributed $10 and bought IBM as our first stock. I don't remember how BIOYA turned out, but we didn't get rich.

In highschool I bought a lot of uncirculated and proof coins at a cost then around $300. Today's total value is around 65k. I was lucky with the 1970 S small date pennies.

Mine would be 401k. I was so excited when I finally got a job that offered one. My daughter currently works at Starbucks and I am trying to get through to her to pump money into that 401k as soon and often as she can. Tough getting through to these kids that they won't miss that 5% of their paycheck.

My best friend's older brother was always in some kind of scheme or another. He convinced us to invest in some BS where he was selling these bags through a magazine/flyer. I used about a grand I had saved up. My dad went ballistic when he found out like six months later. I had to cash out but got like $1,600 back so I thought it was a damn good deal. Within a year I was mad that I was out because it would have been like 3k. Six months later it would have been zero as he reinvested into these damn hover machines he said would be worth millions. I learned a lot about market timing and who you are getting in bed with, and was lucky to make a profit.

Reactions: NebNoles
Bought 40 acres of property on Lake Istokpoga when I was 24-25 years old. The seller was desperate for capital so I got a good deal. I sold it about 5 years later for triple what I paid and held the note at 9% interest.
That's my neck of the woods. I used to be in all those lakes down there.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
My first was the savings account my parents helped me open when I was about 6 or 7 years old (in around 1969 or 1970). I still have the little account record book. Brought it with me whenever I made a deposit (i.e. with birthday money); the teller would make the deposit entry, along with an entry for the interest that had accrued.
It worked out great; taught me at a young age how to save, a lesson I still live by today.

Reactions: nynole1 and DFSNOLE
Other than a 401K, I’d have to say it was the house I bought in Jax. I closed in December 2005. It did not turn out well for me.

After college, I got a shotgun, rifle, and a 4 wheel drive - I should have stopped with the guns and bought some property instead

I was given Publix stock during my employment but my first purchase was 10 shares of Cisco in 2001 - this year it finally made it's way back up to the $40/share price I paid.
The good news is that when I initially invested I selected to have my dividends reinvested. Although it started out as a few cents it's grown and keeps growing.
I don't plan to touch it anytime soon so hopefully with the exponential growth it becomes something significant in 20yrs.

50 shares of a biotech stock bought for me by my dad using my money in 1993 (or thereabouts) at around $40/share. He also bought another biotech stock for me that went belly-up. We won't talk about that one.

After 3 splits, it's now 400 shares @ $170/share and spits out over $5/share in annual dividends. The certificates still sit in my safe-deposit box.

Reactions: cgj0198
Bought 40 acres of property on Lake Istokpoga when I was 24-25 years old. The seller was desperate for capital so I got a good deal. I sold it about 5 years later for triple what I paid and held the note at 9% interest.
This purchase was made during the days when you could deduct almost all interest paid on about anything. I was looking for investments for tax deductions.

Paid $5,800 for an engagement ring and married a girl whose grandfather owned stock in something called “Coke.” He died.

Hate the game, not the player. :)

Weed. But my roommate and I wound up smoking it all. :oops:

I bought 10 shares of Google back in 2006ish. It's done well, but nothing life changing.

My company stock has doubled since I started working for them 18 months ago. I maxed out my employee stock share option (we get to buy at 20% below the quarter end or quarter beginning price, which ever is lowest). I've also been buying them in my personal account as well. They have been doing very well.

My wife has 100 shares of AMZN with a per-share basis under $30 in an IRA. I think she bought it some time around 2006. I have to give her props on that prescient call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT