ADVERTISEMENT

When do you mail Christmas/holiday cards?

BrianNole777

All-ACC
Jan 27, 2023
Near Washington D.C.
And how many do you send?

My Uncle just gave me 30 mixed Christmas/holiday cards that are great for mailing to work colleagues, family members and friends.

They're the perfect mix of religious and secular.

Do you mail out holiday cards? When is the right time to do it?

How many do you send?

Are you obligated to accept them?
And for your sake I’m hoping this uncle has plenty of redeeming traits that compensate for dumping free holiday cards he got in the mail from some dubious charity and last year’s wall calendars on you?

Are you obligated to accept them?
And for your sake I’m hoping this uncle has plenty of redeeming traits that compensate for dumping free holiday cards he got in the mail from some dubious charity and last year’s wall calendars on you?
Buuuuurn!

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
Growing up in the 60s, sending Christmas cards was a big deal for my mom. She had an address book just for the cards that recorded those sent and received.

We have always sent cards but not with the same dedication as she did. Now it's down to a handful of friends we don't see often. They're usually mailed out around the second week of December.

When the boys were growing up we sent out a picture card every year; we'd put the tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving, get a pic of them in front of it, get the cards printed at Walgreens. Mail them out first week of December. Would usually send out 30 or so.
Have not done one since they were early teens.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Unsurprisingly, I am very traditional. The Halloween decorations go up on Oct. 1 and comprise a couple of Jack-o'-lanterns. On Nov. 1, those go away, and the decorative gourds and corn come out. The day after Thanksgiving, those go away, and the Christmas tree and wreath go up. The holiday post-card goes out on Dec. 1. This pattern continues with all the major holidays.

December 1 seems a bit early for holiday cards.

I had an idea this afternoon.

I'll mail holiday cards to my Jewish and non-Christian friends on Monday, December 4.

I'll mail Christmas cards to my Christian friends on Monday, December 11.

How's everyone's holiday cards going?

I mailed out about 55 and got 15 responses most via text and a few cards in return.

I got one from an older friend which was great.

How about everyone else?

Growing up in the 60s, sending Christmas cards was a big deal for my mom. She had an address book just for the cards that recorded those sent and received.

We have always sent cards but not with the same dedication as she did. Now it's down to a handful of friends we don't see often. They're usually mailed out around the second week of December.
I think I did about a dozen and many of those were to distant family and friends too.
Way down from years past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT