ADVERTISEMENT

Where is the warmest climate in Europe?

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
We have cold places in the US--- with small periods of a warm summer-- the northeast, greater Midwest (IL, MN, and WI) come to mind. But we also have places like the southeast which are more mild during the winter and Florida which many say has only two seasons (hot and hotter).

Is there any place in Europe that is similar to the climates of the southeast and Florida? Not planning a trip--- just wondering is all.

The weird thing is that for some reason you get less temperature variance in Europe than Mericuh. So if you find the rough equivalent to a Mericuhn city, the European city will have a warmer winter and a cooler summer. I'm sure some metereologist could come along and explain why, but I'll just randomly say it's the jet stream with no actual knowledge foundation to base that SWAG on.

The weird thing is that for some reason you get less temperature variance in Europe than Mericuh. So if you find the rough equivalent to a Mericuhn city, the European city will have a warmer winter and a cooler summer. I'm sure some metereologist could come along and explain why, but I'll just randomly say it's the jet stream with no actual knowledge foundation to base that SWAG on.

Some of it is the jet stream, some of it is the Mediterranean, and a large portion is the gulf stream.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
It's very hot in Rome in the summer, but cools down quite bit in the winter, like Atlanta type temps.

The warmest city in geographical Europe on average is Lerapetra in Greece. It is located in the extreme south east of Crete and has a yearly average temperature of 20C and 3000 hours of sunshine per year.

The city that holds the OFFICIAL European record for the highest ever recorded temperature in Europe is a suburb of the Greek capital Athens, called Elesfis and the temperature recorded there on 10/07/1977 was 48 C or 118.4 F. Southern Spain, Sicily, and Malta get very warm.

Closest thing to Florida and the southeast will be southeast Asia as well Northeast Australia... Coastal Europe will be similar to coastal California (Med. climate as Belem spoke)
At center of largest land mass (Minnesta and Siberia) you will find coldest and hottest extremes due to lack of mitigation by oceans.... (just as South Pole is colder than North Pole since South is land mass, North is frozen ocean)

I can tell you it ain't Germany. It's cold and windy in the northeast part of the country. We had some nice hot days too, but even mid summer can be cool and nasty on any given day.

Hmmmm...the farther south you go, the warmer it gets. I thought most people knew this. Duh...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT