ADVERTISEMENT

Who was your favorite Pro Wrestler growing up( that was not a star)?

My buddies and I would go to the WEAR TV station in Pensacola and watch Ken Lucas. He was a badass to a 10 year old. That was the early 60's.

We went to see him in Quincy one time. He was the king of the sleeper! Late sixties, I guess.

Well, he was a superstar, but my all time favorite was Roddy Piper in the 80's. While he doesn't fit the description of a non-superstar, that was a time and place where next to nobody rooted for heels. There were probably some "smarts" who quietly did, and I know in the NWA Flair was incredibly popular as a heel. But in the comic book WWE days, that was pretty much unheard of in that territory.

I guess I always kind of gravitated toward natural heels who's heelishness was being an absolute a-hole, not on a ready made gimmick like being Russian or Iranian or being a dentist, LOL. I liked guys like Piper and Orndorff and Ken Patera and Bobby Heenan.

Big King Kong Bundy fan, really liked him. Liked The Missing Link. Mister Fuji. Jesse Ventura.

I can't think of too many babyfaces I really loved. Andre of course. Really liked Ivan Putski.

My favorite jobber was no doubt Iron Mike Sharpe. That guy was a great heel jobber. Never saw him win a match, but he played the heel great.

I was a huge Tes Dibiase fan, well before he joined the WWF/E and had the millionaire gimmick.

Back in the Gordon Solie WTBS days, Dibiase was involved in an angle with the Freebirds and Terry Gordy hit three piledrivers on the concrete floor and as a 10 year old, I was sure they had killed Dibiase. Crowd was silent, announcers speaking in hushed tones, “medical personnel” out to attend to him, then several weeks of clips of him in the hospital. Great angle, scared the hell out of me.

Last edited:
Well, he was a superstar, but my all time favorite was Roddy Piper in the 80's. While he doesn't fit the description of a non-superstar, that was a time and place where next to nobody rooted for heels. There were probably some "smarts" who quietly did, and I know in the NWA Flair was incredibly popular as a heel. But in the comic book WWE days, that was pretty much unheard of in that territory.

I guess I always kind of gravitated toward natural heels who's heelishness was being an absolute a-hole, not on a ready made gimmick like being Russian or Iranian or being a dentist, LOL. I liked guys like Piper and Orndorff and Ken Patera and Bobby Heenan.

Big King Kong Bundy fan, really liked him. Liked The Missing Link. Mister Fuji. Jesse Ventura.

I can't think of too many babyfaces I really loved. Andre of course. Really liked Ivan Putski.

My favorite jobber was no doubt Iron Mike Sharpe. That guy was a great heel jobber. Never saw him win a match, but he played the heel great.
I’ll see your Iron Mike Sharpe and raise you an SD Jones. Classic jobbers, those guys. :)

Not really a favorite, sorta felt bad for him. I don't think he ever won a fight.

barryo.jpg

I’ll see your Iron Mike Sharpe and raise you an SD Jones. Classic jobbers, those guys. :)

SD Jones was the babyface version of Iron Mike Sharpe. Never won a match, but played the babyface role up, and got a good pop every time. Most of the jobbers just went out their and jobbed, and their face/heel status was nothing more than a function of who they jobbed to.

But SD Jones and Iron Mike Sharpe played the role, and managed to draw pretty good pop/heat no matter never winning.

Last edited:
SeaPA, are you from Tampa? I used to run into the Brisco brothers and Joe Le Duc (The Canadian Freight Train) frequently when I lived in that neck of the woods. Both the Briscos and Le Duc were among my favorites growing up.

I'm from the sticks, 40 or so miles north of Tampa. Watched Gordon Solie and Championship Rasslin from Florida every Sunday on Channel 44.

Jack Brisco and Boris Malenko wre probably my favs to watch. Harley Race, Sailor Art Thomas, Dale Evans, and Dusty were big back then as well.

Jack Brisco and Boris Malenko wre probably my favs to watch. Harley Race, Sailor Art Thomas, Dale Evans, and Dusty were big back then as well.

Dusty owned some ranch property outside of my hometown (Dade City), probably would've been mid to late 70s, maybe into the early 80s. Used to see him around town sometimes, usually at the hardware or ranch supply store, picking up supplies.

Gold Dust...i kid, i kid

Loved Hacksaw and also The Road Warriors/Legion of Doom..."ohhhhh, what a rush!"

And this is the greatest wrestling promo ever:

Last edited:
I just skimmed through kinda so siap but somebody’s gotta throw in some Jake the Snake Roberts and Iron Sheik. And I was a huge fan of the British Bulldogs. :eek:

I remember my grandma always liked doink the clown.

I guess my non big name was Tito Santana.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
Tito Santana’s been listed a couple of times. He was a big name as I remember things. Was the Intercontinental champion and may have been the heavyweight champion too, on occasion.

Reactions: EconSean
Before he became the American Dream, Dusty Rhodes tagged with Dick Murdock and their tag team was one of my favorites to watch. I met Eddie Graham and Mike Graham one time. Nice guys.

Couple favorites from going to Houston County Farm Center in Dothan were Ron Fuller and Bullet Bob Armstrong.

Reactions: amicusnole
The Rock n Roll Express with Steve Kerr and Stan Lane
The British Bulldogs with Davy Boy Smith and the Dynamite Kid
The Von Erichs
Barry Windham
Dusty Rhodes
Billy Jack
Lex Luger
Hillbilly Jim
Brutus The Barber Beefcake

I could go all day. Growing up in the 80's, it was THE thing in my neck of the woods...err....cow pasture (Lakeland).

The Rock n Roll Express with Steve Kerr and Stan Lane
The British Bulldogs with Davy Boy Smith and the Dynamite Kid
The Von Erichs
Barry Windham
Dusty Rhodes
Billy Jack
Lex Luger
Hillbilly Jim
Brutus The Barber Beefcake

I could go all day. Growing up in the 80's, it was THE thing in my neck of the woods...err....cow pasture (Lakeland).

The Rock 'n' Roll Express was Robert Gibson and Rick Morton. Steve Keirn and Stan Lane were the Fabulous Ones.

Robert Gibson was on the same flight with me last fall going from Richmond to Atlanta. He walks like Fred Sanford these days.

Reactions: EconSean
It is nice to see that my favorite wrestler, Mr. Wrestling 2 is still alive.

Bad Boy Hines........if any old enough

Myra Rollo....and that stub nose .38 down on first row.
That's been a long time.
Lynn Toney announcer.

Ha, back in the mid 80s I was flying on a small commercial flight from Pensacola to Tampa; also on the flight were the Wild Samoans. Imagine how surprised I was that they didn't need a translator with them, because they spoke perfect English. o_O
They were absolutely hilarious, chatting & joking with both crew and fellow passengers. They were also way too big for those smallish airline seats; can't imagine them trying to fly in today's smaller seats.

This guy could literally beat ANY wrestler w/his patented flying cross chop. It wasn't the sexiest move, but it worked every time and would eventually wear down any opponent until he was able to be pinned.

Pro_Wrestling_Star_Man.png

Other formidable wrestlers of my time were:

Pro_Wrestling_Back_Brain_Kick.gif
Fighter Hayabusa

Pro_Wrestling_Karate_Kick.gif
King Corn Karn

Pro_Wrestling_Iron_Claw.gif
Giant Panther

Pro_Wrestling_Piranha_Bite.gif
The Amazon

and

Pro_Wrestling_Backbreaker.gif
King Slender

But no one, no matter how much bigger, stronger, tougher, or cooler their finishing move, could defeat Star Man and his (very boring but 100% effective) Flying Cross Chop.

Pro_Wrestling_Flying_Cross_Chop.gif

Star Man FTW!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT