ADVERTISEMENT

Who was your favorite Pro Wrestler growing up( that was not a star)?

Ha, back in the mid 80s I was flying on a small commercial flight from Pensacola to Tampa; also on the flight were the Wild Samoans. Imagine how surprised I was that they didn't need a translator with them, because they spoke perfect English. o_O
They were absolutely hilarious, chatting & joking with both crew and fellow passengers. They were also way too big for those smallish airline seats; can't imagine them trying to fly in today's smaller seats.
I flew from Houston to Tampa one morning in the late 80s. The WWF had a house show in Houston and a lot of stars lived in the Tampa area and were flying home. I distinctly remember the Sheepherders reading newspapers and conversing with other people like normal human beings. Blew my mind. :)

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Tito Santana’s been listed a couple of times. He was a big name as I remember things. Was the Intercontinental champion and may have been the heavyweight champion too, on occasion.
He was a big star when I was watching. Jesse Ventura used to rag on him and call him Chico Banana.

Reactions: mjpwooo
Well, he was a superstar, but my all time favorite was Roddy Piper in the 80's. While he doesn't fit the description of a non-superstar, that was a time and place where next to nobody rooted for heels. There were probably some "smarts" who quietly did, and I know in the NWA Flair was incredibly popular as a heel. But in the comic book WWE days, that was pretty much unheard of in that territory.

I guess I always kind of gravitated toward natural heels who's heelishness was being an absolute a-hole, not on a ready made gimmick like being Russian or Iranian or being a dentist, LOL. I liked guys like Piper and Orndorff and Ken Patera and Bobby Heenan.

Big King Kong Bundy fan, really liked him. Liked The Missing Link. Mister Fuji. Jesse Ventura.

I can't think of too many babyfaces I really loved. Andre of course. Really liked Ivan Putski.

My favorite jobber was no doubt Iron Mike Sharpe. That guy was a great heel jobber. Never saw him win a match, but he played the heel great.

The best day in wrestling was when Hogan turned heel. However, it had stopped watching wrestling by then. I do remember being in shock when Andre The Giant turned heel and hit Hogan. I think that was the lead in to Wrestlemania 3

Not the Ric Flair’s of Hogan’s of the world, but a guy that was not some super star. My favorite wrestler growing up like this was Mr. Wrestling 2, who wrestled at Florida and Georgia Championship Wrestling( NWA). He was never a huge star, but did his thing. How about you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Wrestling_II
I was into "heels" over "faces" and while the bigger stars switched off and on there were some that never played the "face' and defined the role of the bad guy. My personal favorite was "the Big Man from the Sudan" Abdullah the Butcher.

I was into "heels" over "faces" and while the bigger stars switched off and on there were some that never played the "face' and defined the role of the bad guy. My personal favorite was "the Big Man from the Sudan" Abdullah the Butcher.
Kamala was a poor man’s Abdullah. :)

The Great Muta was awesome watching as a kid. His moonsault of the top rope and green mist were 2 things that even today standout.

Reactions: iowanole1
revolting-blob.png

1*bTsyGjQz3wQt7vyBzCrQYA.jpeg

Not the Ric Flair’s of Hogan’s of the world, but a guy that was not some super star. My favorite wrestler growing up like this was Mr. Wrestling 2, who wrestled at Florida and Georgia Championship Wrestling( NWA). He was never a huge star, but did his thing. How about you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Wrestling_II
Greg Peterson
Wahoo McDaniel
Both wrestling in Florida in the '60s. Hated Sputnik Monroe until I saw him helping run
the refreshment booth and talk with the customers between matches at Centennial Field. Seemed like a pretty friendly fellow for being such a cad in the ring.

Greg Peterson
Wahoo McDaniel
Both wrestling in Florida in the '60s. Hated Sputnik Monroe until I saw him helping run
the refreshment booth and talk with the customers between matches at Centennial Field. Seemed like a pretty friendly fellow for being such a cad in the ring.
I remember Mcdaniel played football in the NFL for some years before he wrestled.

Magnum TA V's Nikita Koloff made me huge fans of both. Both a great face and heel character! Too bad Magnum's career was cut so short by a car accident.
Wow those are 2 I have not heard mentioned in years.

The Great Muta was awesome watching as a kid. His moonsault of the top rope and green mist were 2 things that even today standout.

I was just going to post this one!

I also thought Arn Anderson was awesome and it’s a shame he never got a world title run

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Big Lord Humongous fan as well. Thought I read somewhere that he was actually Sid Vicious?

Big Lord Humongous fan as well. Thought I read somewhere that he was actually Sid Vicious?

From what I've read, there have been a bunch of guys who have performed behind the Lord Humongous mask - including both Sid and one of his sons.

Dusty owned some ranch property outside of my hometown (Dade City), probably would've been mid to late 70s, maybe into the early 80s. Used to see him around town sometimes, usually at the hardware or ranch supply store, picking up supplies.

I met Dusty once in a Denny's (or maybe IHOP) on I-4 back in the 80s. Had a conversation, he was actually very cool.

Interesting side note: Kane from WWE was elected mayor of Knox country, TN. Looks like he went on to a pretty successful business career.

Growing up in SW Louisiana wrestling was huge, my favorite then was Dr. Death Steve Williams.

Greg Peterson
Wahoo McDaniel
Sputnik Monroe was a cool dude. He refused to wrestle in Memphis unless they allowed his African American fans on the main floor.

Sgt. Slaughter

My dad was friends with his agent so we got to hang out with him in his hotel room in Atlanta before a Braves game. Still have the signed photo from him that says "At ease"

Reactions: Bud Fox
Dude, I was going to say Kendo .. I was scared crapless of him.

Second favorite= The Model, Rick Martell. Dude would walk out in a tennis outfit or sailing gear. Had his own perfume, "Arrogance"

Remember Kendo Nagasaki? I remember I was a kid and we were waiting outside the WPB Auditorium for autographs and Barry Windham and some others rolled out in their car drinking beer and smoking cigs. They said they had to take one of the wrestlers to get his eyes checked because Kendo blew that mysterious green mist in one of their eyes :Face with Tears of Joy

Reactions: Nole Daddy
KAMALA THE UGANDAN GIANT!

So, when wrestling was funny stupid, that's when I find it the most entertaining. When The Rock was Rocky, an arrogant condescending idiot to RON Simmons (Farooq) = hilarious.

Go search up Bo Dallas talking with Bock Lesnar and tell me you don't laugh.

Stupid wrestling is funny wrestling

Triple H.... Takes himself too seriously. (as an example)

Val Venis! Hello ladies.

Although I think he had a lower tier belt or two, so mid-card “star.”

Bret Hart is my favorite of the super stars

Liked Mr Perfect a lot in wwf. His vignettes playjng sports perfectly with Wade Boggs, Felton spencer etc were hilarious. They are on YouTube. And Chris Jericho in wcw also qualifies as a non top level star

Last edited:
The Von Erichs and The Freebirds imo is the greatest wrestling feud of all time. And I watched it all on cable in upstate New York. World Class was way ahead of most of the nation in syndicating to other parts of the nation.

My other faves were:

Ice Man King Parsons
Bruiser Brody
Rick Rude
The Great Kabuki
The Missing Link

You meant Ravishing Rick Rude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT