ADVERTISEMENT

Who was your favorite Pro Wrestler growing up( that was not a star)?

I saw so many matches in the 80’s at the WPB Auditorium when I was a kid.
I grew up in Lake Worhtless. There was a 7-11 across the street from Lake Osbourne behind the high school. The drive from the 7-11 to the leaky teepee was exactly a quart bottle of beer.

Not the Ric Flair’s of Hogan’s of the world, but a guy that was not some super star. My favorite wrestler growing up like this was Mr. Wrestling 2, who wrestled at Florida and Georgia Championship Wrestling( NWA). He was never a huge star, but did his thing. How about you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Wrestling_II
Man, I saw some great shows growing up in NYC.

Ray "The Crippler" Stevens
Greg "The Hammer" Valentine
Pedro Morales
Magnificent Muraco
The Strongbows
Rocky Johnson & Tony Atlas

Great shows. Sometimes it was only on channel 47, Lucha Libre in Spanish LOL

The referee was Gilberto Roman!

Wrestling was great in the late 70's & Early 80's.

Man, I saw some great shows growing up in NYC.

Ray "The Crippler" Stevens
Greg "The Hammer" Valentine
Pedro Morales
Magnificent Muraco
The Strongbows
Rocky Johnson & Tony Atlas

Great shows. Sometimes it was only on channel 47, Lucha Libre in Spanish LOL

The referee was Gilberto Roman!

Wrestling was great in the late 70's & Early 80's.
Growing up in New York these are the names I recognize from my youth. Just remembered another non-star. Salvatore Bellomo. The PA used to love to introduce him in an exaggerated Italian accent. “Sal-va-to-reee Be-LO-mo”.

Reactions: Bud Fox
The Midnight Rider and Mr. R.

So cheesy, those gimmicks...but I loved them, whoever those masked men were. :)

I just saw a small sign stuck in the dirt of a little town in the middle of nowhere, central PA, maybe a town of 500, advertising that Ted Dibiase was the guest speaker for their church's men's retreat. Tickets $20. His website says his requirement for hire is coach airfare for 1. You'd think the Million Dollar Man wouldnt stoop so low.

I just saw a small sign stuck in the dirt of a little town in the middle of nowhere, central PA, maybe a town of 500, advertising that Ted Dibiase was the guest speaker for their church's men's retreat. Tickets $20. His website says his requirement for hire is coach airfare for 1. You'd think the Million Dollar Man wouldnt stoop so low.
I live in Pittsburgh and on occasion we’ll go to local boat, RV, outdoor expo/show type of deals, and we often see Virgil (a sometimes wrestler who was Dibiase’s “manager”). Usually sitting at a small table by himself, selling photo ops.

A6tUFGa.gif

giphy.gif

Didn't grow up in the old territory days and didn't follow any regional promotions so my only recollections were WWF from my late kid years through my teens--basically latter part of the rock 'n wrestling era through the early attitude era. Never watched WCW much until Nitro started. Growing up in the panhandle in the 80's I don't even recall if CWfF was broadcast there.

Owen Hart was probably my favorite non-"star" even though he was elevated to main event status for a brief time. He never felt like a big time star but was one of the best in the terrible new gen era. Rick Martel was my favorite from the rock 'n wrestling and golden eras in WWF.

Ken Lucas

There you go. My favorite was Mario Galento. Few of those old wrestlers would meet the definition of superstar as judged by later standards. Dick Dunn, Don Carson, the Hines Bros (Billy & Bad Boy) and many others put on a good show but weren't superstars.

For just listening to someone talk trash Dusty Rhodes the American Dream. He was a fat slob but man he could talk like Ali.
Dudes that actually looked like they could destroy you the way wrestling filmed it the Road Warriors.

Ken Lucas

There you go. My favorite was Mario Galento. Few of those old wrestlers would meet the definition of superstar as judged by later standards. Dick Dunn, Don Carson, the Hines Bros (Billy & Bad Boy) and many others put on a good show but weren't superstars.

Damn! Dick Dunn and Don Carson. I’d forgotten those names. If I recall, Dunn was a peanut farmer in the Dothan area.

Bad Boy Hines from Milton, Fl....
Didn't Ken Lucas have the Sleeper Hold?
The Wrestling Pro!

Jake the Snake Roberts
Crazy that not one person mentioned Bruno Sammartino! He was a little before my time, but he was supposed to be the greatest.

The old WWF shows with Bob Backlund, Jimmy Snuka, Andre the Giant, The Iron Sheik, Sgt. Slaughter and Hulk Hogan was really a great time.

The thing I remember most is I went to a show in Madison Square Garden. It was 1983 or 1984, so I was around 12 or 13, and My older brother took me, and he was (and is) my hero. My brother had just joined the Marines, and it was either right after boot camp or his first leave, and he surprised me with tickets. He was 6’5 and around 225 and fit as hell back then, but Andre the Giant came walking down our aisle (we were on the end seats) and stood next to my bro and me and shook our hands and gave us a hug. It was INCREDIBLE just how big he was, just enormous, made my brother seem like a kid next to him. His hands swallowed mine, but he was just amazingly gentle and kind to everyone in our area. I was a huge fan of his from that day on. A great man.

Real talk.

Reactions: BelemNole
Crazy that not one person mentioned Bruno Sammartino! He was a little before my time, but he was supposed to be the greatest.

The old WWF shows with Bob Backlund, Jimmy Snuka, Andre the Giant, The Iron Sheik, Sgt. Slaughter and Hulk Hogan was really a great time.

The thing I remember most is I went to a show in Madison Square Garden. It was 1983 or 1984, so I was around 12 or 13, and My older brother took me, and he was (and is) my hero. My brother had just joined the Marines, and it was either right after boot camp or his first leave, and he surprised me with tickets. He was 6’5 and around 225 and fit as hell back then, but Andre the Giant came walking down our aisle (we were on the end seats) and stood next to my bro and me and shook our hands and gave us a hug. It was INCREDIBLE just how big he was, just enormous, made my brother seem like a kid next to him. His hands swallowed mine, but he was just amazingly gentle and kind to everyone in our area. I was a huge fan of his from that day on. A great man.

Real talk.
Damn. Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart died. I used to love the whole Hart Foundation vibe.

Bad Boy Hines from Milton, Fl....
Didn't Ken Lucas have the Sleeper Hold?
The Wrestling Pro!

Yep, Billy and Bad Boy Hines were quite the team, I remember them in overalls, barefoot with flat tops and beards.

A sportswriter in Jacksonville wrote about encountering the Hines Bros. in a country restaurant that had a fried catfish buffet. He said the boys had two plates each of catfish piled as high as they could stack them. After finishing up those catfish they went back for more and cleaned out the buffet.

Reactions: MagNoleA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT