ADVERTISEMENT

Who will contribute from the 2020 recruiting class?

FSU91

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
The 2020 class was our second transitional class in just two years. It's been noted that these transitional classes are typically busts and that most players don't wind up doing much as they are later passed up by better talent in subsequent classes.

We've seen the 2018 transitional class ... Taggart's first class ... fall apart on the most part. That class had 21 signees and 13 of them were 4-star guys, and that class ranked 11th in the nation. That class now has just 7 remaining guys on the FSU roster (Asante Samuel was in that class and left a year early for the pros so he shouldn't be counted against that class).

The 7 still with us:
  • 4-star NG Robert Cooper
  • 4-star TE Cam McDonald
  • 4-star LB Amari Gainer
  • 4-star DL Dennis Briggs
  • 3-star WR Jordan Young
  • 3-star OL Jalen Goss
  • 3-star WR Keyshawn Helton
The 13 guys that didn't make it with FSU:
  • 4-star DB Jaden Lars-Woodbey - now at Boston College
  • 4-star DB A.J. Lytton - now at Penn State
  • 4-star WR Warren Thompson - now at Arkansas
  • 4-star WR Tre'shaun Harrison - now at Oregon State
  • 4-star LB/DE Xavier Peters - bounced to Kentucky and then to JUCO; now looking for a home
  • 4-star DL Malcolm Lamer - now at FAU
  • 4-star DB Isaiah Bolden - now at Jacksonville State with Prime Time
  • 3-star OL Christian Meadows - MedDQ?
  • 3-star RB Antony Grant - ?????
  • 3-star OL Christian Armstrong - MedDQ?
  • 3-star WR Demarcus Adams - now a DB at FAU
  • 3-star DL Jamarcus Chatman - now at Troy
  • 3-star OL Chaz Neal - in the portal
Man, what a disaster. Two-thirds of this class not panning out is a huge reason that we are in the situation that we are in. Imagine the WR corps with a properly developed Thompson and Harrison. Imagine the defensive backfield with properly developed Lyttons and Bodens. Think about what Lars-Woodbey could have been at STUD had he fully bought in to that proper position change. How about X-Peters at an edge spot? Malcom Lamar should have transitioned his frame and arms to OT.

So ... how about the 2020 class? This group of 24 signees ranked 22nd nationally and 4th in the ACC.

I think that these guys are going to be much better coached top to bottom and I think that the organization and program discipline will have a much better team culture. While not every guy in every class works out ... there are always guys that don't work out for whatever reason ... we should expect for at least half of any given class to produce good, solid players that help a team. Teams are made up of multiple classes and the 2020 class is going to need to produce 10-12 guys out of the 24 that signed and enrolled to be good players for us if we are to get back to being pretty good in the next 2-3 years.

Who among this group do you expect to produce for us in a really positive way over the next few years ... 2021-24? They are all R-FR this year due to COVID giving everyone a free year last year.
  • 4-star DB Demorie Tate - has top shelf talent - should be a contributor
  • 4-star WR Bryan Robinson - has excellent talent - should be a contributor
  • 4-star QB Chubba Purdy - has excellent talent - it's gonna come down to whether or not he can beat out Duffy for starter's role
  • 4-star DB Jadarius Green-McKnight - don't know enough about him
  • 4-star RB Lawrence Toafili - took over as starter at 4B as true-FR; already a contributor and will be an excellent back for us
  • 4-star LB Stephen Dix, Jr. - started for much of true-FR season; talented but was lost assignment wise; has to be properly developed by Marve
  • 4-star WR Ja'khi Douglas - perfect slot WR for Norvell's offense; 2nd string behind Helton in 2020
  • 3-star RB Corey Wren - Warrick Dunnesque highlights from high school; will be at 4B behind Toafili
  • 3-star WR Kentron Poitier - raw talent that only started playing football in middle of high school; good upside, but low floor; could be passed up by younger talent
  • 3-star LB Jayion McCluster - 3rd string at MLB and already behind Dix and Lundy at position, fellow classmates
  • 3-star OL Robert Scott - starter at true-FR; good looking young players
  • 3-star DB Sidney Williams - Woodson loves him; lower rated due to high school injury; has bright future; started final two games last season
  • 3-star Edge Josh Griffis - played a good bit as true-FR; curious to see how he does over next two years; I expect that he will be passed by younger talent
  • 3-star OL Thomas Shrader - bright future for him at IOL - could be OC or OG
  • 3-star QB Tate Rodemaker - I do not expect for him to ever be a regular starter; Purdy is better and Duffy is coming soon
  • 3-star WR Darion Williamson - Norvell wanted him and got him; not sure what to think
  • 3-star OL Zane Herring - good road grader OG; injured before last season and sat out; we'll see ... no one knows what lies in store for him at this point
  • 3-star TE Carter Boatright - don't think that he'll be at FSU as a football player past this season
  • 3-star ATH DJ Lundy - 2nd string at MLB is what I've read (where he was in spring ball); we'll see how he develops
  • 3-star OT Lloyd Willis - project player; hopefully passed up by younger OT talent
  • 3-star DL TJ Davis - now 6'3" and 287 at end of true-FR season; impressive film as DE in high school; will quickness and explosiveness stick with him at DT?
  • 3-star TE Markeston Douglas - Norvell wanted him and got him; not sure what to think
  • 2-star P Alex Mastramano - will be starting P for 4-5 seasons
  • 3-star JUCO RB Ladamian Webb -- had good first year and contributed, but grades were a huge issue and he's out of college football
I know that I'm a homer and all, but I'm going to pick against the grain here and say that at least half of these guys will be solid contributors for FSU over the next few seasons. I do not think that this class will wind up being like the 2018 class. These are almost all Norvell guys and I think that there will be a lot of success out of this group. Some are going to get over-recruited and some will look to transfer because of that, but I expect that most will be here for four or five years and will help us get back to having solid top-20 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News