ADVERTISEMENT

Williamson leads FSU into NCAA Regional

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
Via FSU sports information:

Seminole fifth-year senior Amelia Williamson considers her individual championship at the Florida State Match Up in 2023 to be one of her greatest accomplishments.

With her first collegiate win in hand, she’s excited to see what’s next.

“That was my first college win and to do it in Tallahassee, was special.”

Tallahassee became Williamson’s home when she moved here at 18 years old from her hometown of Norwich on the east coast of England. Growing up in England, golf wasn’t the only thing in her life. She liked to try a little bit of everything.

It wasn’t until she was 12 years old that she eventually chose to pursue golf over skiing. Both sports maintained a busy schedule on the weekends, and with school as another priority, she had to pick one.

“I don’t really know why I chose golf, but I’m glad I did.”

Williamson and her teammates begin play in the 2023 NCAA Raleigh Regional Championship Monday as the Seminoles play in their 17th consecutive NCAA Regional at the Lonnie Poole Golf Club. The Seminoles are the No. 3 seed in the championship and will play with No. 1 seed Wake Forest and No. 2 seed Arizona State, with tee times for the group beginning at 8 a.m.

The live results and the starting lineups for the Seminoles and each team can be found at Golfstat.

With both of her parents and her grandparents as veterans of the sport, playing golf was an opportunity to not only to learn from them, but also play with them.

Golf is a social sport. Williamson, an All-ACC selection for the second time this season, continues to play with her grandparents, whereas skiing makes it a little more difficult to enjoy each other’s company.

Williamson’s grandparents have always been in her life. While some of her teammates only get to see their grandparents every couple months due to distance, which was never an issue for Williamson. Both of her grandparents live just 20 feet from her home.

Williamson’s mom and dad grew up living across the street from each other. When they married, they decided to build their own house on a plot of land the family owned. Building their home so close allowed Williamson to grow up with her whole family.

When Williamson came to Florida State, the one thing she missed was waking up and going to her nanny’s house for breakfast before school. Her favorite morning dish was a dippy egg. When perfectly cooked, the yolk is runny and the white part is perfectly cooked through.

Not only was moving here and leaving her family a big change, but developing new skills to play on new courses on different types of grass was also a challenge. Playing and living in England is much different than living in the United States, and was a huge learning curve for Williamson.

“The type of golf shots you need to play there are very different to here in the United States,” said Williamson. “For me, it was a massive change. I had to develop a lot of new skills to go along with the ones I already had.”

Learning those new skills took time. She had to relearn her game from a new perspective.

While it may have taken her longer than she had hoped to adjust, she began to see the results she wanted.

Williamson’s work on the course has certainly paid off. She enters the NCAA Raleigh Regional Championship ranked ninth in Florida State history with a 73.61 career stroke average. Williamson was named to the International Team for the upcoming Arnold Palmer Cup championship June 8-10 along with teammate Charlotte Heath.

Williamson has traveled all over the world, learned new skills and has competed on some of the most beautiful courses, as she constantly works on improving her game.

In 2016 she played at the Club Du Domaine Impérial on Lake Geneva in Switzerland. Last summer, she had the chance to return to Switzerland to play in the Arnold Palmer Cup at Golf Club Du Geneva, another stunning course just across the lake from the Club Du Domaine.

While she doesn’t get to explore too much outside of the courses themselves, Williamson plans to see many more courses and a lot more of the world, with her plans to enter into the professional golf world this summer.

As her fifth and final season at Florida State comes to a close during the month of May, Williamson can proudly say she is leaving her mark on FSU and achieving her goal of joining the elite community of Seminole professional golfers.

Transitioning from college to professional golf may seem daunting for most, but not for Williamson.

She is confident in her abilities to learn new courses, coach herself and make new relationships as she travels all over the country.

It can be said that her transition to studying at an American university has prepared her for this next chapter in her life. If it weren’t for the team and coaching staff at Florida State, Williamson wouldn’t be the next Seminole to become a professional golfer.

Although it is a big part of her life now, sports didn’t come easy to Williamson, as it did to her sister, Victoria. As a track and field athlete turned cyclist for the Great Britain national team, her sister was a bit more of a natural athlete. But it wasn’t her stronger athletic capabilities that left Amelia awestruck. It was her sister’s ability to fight back every day from a terrible cycling crash just before the Rio Olympics.

“The amount of hard work and effort she put in after her crash, I’ve never seen anyone else do that,” said Williamson.

After retiring last month, Victoria is still Amelia’s role model. Not only in the way that she competes, but in the way that she carries herself, and the way she motivates herself in everything she does.

It’s no wonder Williamson keeps a calm attitude at tournaments and isn’t afraid to brush off a bad swing. Williamson has always kept a mindset that her sport isn’t everything. There is more to life than hitting a ball onto a green or having the perfect swing.

One of the tournaments the Seminoles annually play in, is the Schooner Fall Classic at the University of Oklahoma. The tournament is very special to Bond and the entire Seminole program as it is played to benefit the OK Kids Korral supported by the Toby Keith Foundation.

The OK Kids Korral is a special place that houses families while their children undergo cancer treatment.

Williamson and a generation of her Seminole teammates look forward to playing in the Schooner every year.

While playing in the tournament and visiting the Kids Korral, Williamson and her teammates have the opportunity to visit with the children who have gone through rounds of chemo and different treatments. According to Williamson, each of the children light up when the golfers walk into their rooms.

“Making a bad shot it not as big as it seems in the moment,” said Williamson. “There are children in Kids Korral who are the happiest kids and have the biggest smiles on their faces, but they don’t know if they will be okay.”

Williamson knows there is more to life than sports. Her mindset has helped Williamson grow as a player and a person. It has helped her find her passion, but doesn’t let her forget what she isn’t willing to give up.

Williamson is proud of her achievements. She is proud to be a Seminoles and would do it all again in a heartbeat, but her most cherished accomplishment yet has nothing to do with golf.

“I’ve done a lot at Florida State and at home, but probably one of my biggest achievements is graduating,” said Williamson.

Williamson earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Sport Management in April of 2022.

If she hadn’t taken that leap of faith and come to Florida State in 2019, she is not sure where her path would have led.

“I got to go to so many countries and got to go to school across the world because I play a sport. I know that I have done things in my life that some people don’t ever get the chance to do.”

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT