ADVERTISEMENT

Windows 10???

wdnole

Star Player
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2006
Oviedo
Maybe I missed it, but haven't seen a LR review of the new OS from MS. Any experience/opinions?

I have an opportunity to upgrade for free from W7, but if W10 is too much like W8 then I'll pass. I've heard it's supposed to be the best of both worlds or something.

Thoughts?

I too was hesitant but I like it. It has the default mode (a cross between 7 & 8) and a tablet mode which is more like 8 with enhancements. I upgraded all my computers to 10.

Reactions: Bartdog
It's supposed to be a smaller program. I upgraded a Windows 7 machine my son uses but don't know if it has been an overall improvement. I only upgraded to fix a problem we were having with a recent windows 7 patch.

Unless you're paranoid about how much data Win10 sends back to Microsoft, go for it.

Unless you're paranoid about how much data Win10 sends back to Microsoft, go for it.

Yep. There are several articles with about 15 recommended steps to take to minimize the data sent.

I upgraded via a new computer. Was running XP on a laptop that I've had for 8+ years. I'm a fan of W10 so far.

Check your computer manufacturer website. Dell advises that my model is not compatible with Windows 10 and
advises against trying install it.

Maybe I missed it, but haven't seen a LR review of the new OS from MS. Any experience/opinions?

I have an opportunity to upgrade for free from W7, but if W10 is too much like W8 then I'll pass. I've heard it's supposed to be the best of both worlds or something.

Thoughts?

I upgraded my laptop and desktop, and because of the different ways I use them, I now wish I hadn't on one.

I use the laptop for browsing and light work (documents, etc). Small-capacity SSD, so most stuff is light. I use the desktop, with the 3T HDD, as the download hub: where I keep all my pictures, music, archives, etc, and where I sync all my web info (e.g. bank downloads into quicken) and my phones/ipods/cameras to. I had 7 on both previously.

So the upgrade works fine for the laptop. But for the desktop it threw off just enough of my finely-tuned settings that it's turning out to be a pain. For instance, I had specified a particular custom directory for all of my cameras and phones to drop all their pictures and videos when they download in windows 7; with windows 10, I cannot find any place to set it to download anywhere but the default location ("My pictures").

Similarly, I used Windows Live Movie Maker for a lot of my video compilations, and they worked fine with the iPhone .mov files. When I converted, I now find that program will not read .mov files.

And then worst of all, since converting, my sound will just go out-- I've had to reinstall the soundblaster driver (which is not official yet-- still a preview version driver) like 3 times; never had a problem with it before upgrading.

Now here's the kicker: I think "well I'll just google those details", but when I do, I find that the Microsoft support pages all refer to windows 7 and 8-- almost none of my questions have been answerable from the windows support websites. It looks to me like the knowledge base for win 10 was not ready for prime time; it certainly doesn't have the volume of help that 7 and 8 have.

So in hindsight, I wish I had left the desktop, finely tuned to all my own preferences, alone. It was working 100% fine with windows 7, and the very minor updates I actually use in windows 10 don't make it worth the problems that have come with it.

I"m going to just download it. I signed up for the email ages ago and still nothing. it's ridiculous.

I'm kind of like @Superfan97 in that I keep an old desktop as the main "repository" of all my media. That's the machine that gets backed up to idrive and is my goto for serious, sit-down work.

I unfortunately "forced" an upgrade for it on day 1 of the Windows 10 release and it had several problems including sound and even the start menu and "metro" apps crashing. I took it to the MS store but they were not able to make any progress with me waiting and were swamped with updates going on in the back room, so I haven't even set it back up yet. Could be that updates have come that will address some of the issues.

Based on that, I would recommend people wait until you get the message that your upgrade is available and not install 10 until you get it.

On my Surface Pro 3 tablet it works just fine. I was a little disappointed that the webcam wouldn't automatically set up for MS Hello (biometric login). I need to research that a little more.

On Windows 10 itself... I'm one of the few people who actually LIKED Windows 8, especially on a touch screen device. When Win8 first released it was terrible on a machine with no touchscreen, but it changed to include the "x" to close a window, etc. Windows 10 has both a desktop and tablet mode, and it switches automatically depending on whether it detects a keyboard or not. Even in tablet mode, however, it doesn't have some of the swipe actions that were so convenient in Win8. On Win8 from the start screen you could just start typing and it would automatically search. On 10 you have to go to the search box or say "hey cortana" if you have that set up.

Another thing that changed (and I think is still evolving) is the way that OneDrive works. Right now in 10 you don't really have a separate "app" for it, it just opens explorer. This is good and bad, since it treats that storage as if it were part fo the machine, another hard drive. I'm still not clear on how it "syncs" the files though. Is is actually copying them all to the hard drive as well? What good is that? The beauty of cloud storage is that it's not taking up space on my HDD. There's a bit of fanboy drama on this point, with the feeling that this will all change as they update backend processes.

The new browser, MS Edge, is very fast and intuitive, and has been clocked in benchmarks faster than both Chrome and FireFox.

I am very excited for the new phones, supposedly being announced in October. Everyone assumes they'll be named Lumia 940 and Lumia 940XL, with both a 5" and 5.7" version. They'll have removable batteries with expandable memory, 20mp cameras, hexa- and octa-core processors respectively, and 3gb(?) of ram. They'll also be able to plug into a USB connector (to a monitor and keyboard) and switch to PC mode. They'll also reportedly work with the Surface Pen.

is the Win10 update like many iOS updates in that it will slow/bog down an older machine?
My laptop is intel i3 running Win7 but it gets a little slow at times - esp w/ many tabs + spreadsheets open.

is the Win10 update like many iOS updates in that it will slow/bog down an older machine?
My laptop is intel i3 running Win7 but it gets a little slow at times - esp w/ many tabs + spreadsheets open.

If you have 8GB Ram and an SSD it will work fine. If not time for hardware upgrade

If you have 8GB Ram and an SSD it will work fine. If not time for hardware upgrade
Probably true (needing an upgrade) but trying to hold off. I'm not a power user, just Chrome + Office. Win7 in my current state is tolerable (not wonderful) so I'm going to see how long I can last without upgrading.

Read a comment that Win10 is actually smaller - wasn't sure if this implied it would work smoothly on an older device or possibly even provide a performance upgrade (which would be unheard of for an OS update).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT