ADVERTISEMENT

Winn Dixie wing bar

cmanole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2002
Any of you jokers hit WD for wings? Not sure how they do it but they're good as hail. Unlike most wings, these are unbreaded and stay crispy long after they are cooked. My favorite are the salt and vinegar and the buffalo ranch but they're all good and not expensive if you've got a WD card. Give them a shot...
thumb_600.jpg

Your W-D must be in a nicer neighborhood. The closest one to us is in a low income area. I've seen the people loading up their wing buckets there. Picking up the wings with their fingers, licking the sauce off, reaching back in for more, moving the wings to get the fatter ones....etc. I'm not that hygiene phobic, but even I have limits.

Your W-D must be in a nicer neighborhood. The closest one to us is in a low income area. I've seen the people loading up their wing buckets there. Picking up the wings with their fingers, licking the sauce off, reaching back in for more, moving the wings to get the fatter ones....etc. I'm not that hygiene phobic, but even I have limits.

The wing bars at the higher income stores are nicer and they're entirely financed by Tyson Chicken. We've gotten the wings a few times and, quite frankly, I think they're better than the ones you get at Publix.

The WD by my house in St Johns County is a store type they put in middle to upper income areas. They're called "transformational remodels" and cost about $4-$5 mil to make them look the way they do. Most people go into one of those stores and think "this is a Winn-Dixie?". The one by my house off 210 is nicer than the Publix down the road.

I'm with you. Restaurant buffets are questionable. Self-serve chicken wing stands? At a grocery store? Not a chance.

That's how my local WD is. I do, however, like there rotisserie chickens when I'm too lazy to cook anything after work.

Thank God WD finally put the store near me out of it's misery....a horribly outdated, dirty place with a most unsavory clientele.

As a general rule, I detest Winn/Dickme - but their wing bar is fairly good. The buffalo & the buffalo ranch I like; I'm not crazy about the bbq (too sticky) or the salt & vinegar (just not a fan of that flavor combination).

Y'all must be pretty uptight about where you grub. All of our WDs around here have a diverse clientele and I've never really thought twice about eating wings off the bar or going after anyone else at the soup or cold bars...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Y'all must be pretty uptight about where you grub. All of our WDs around here have a diverse clientele and I've never really thought twice about eating wings off the bar or going after anyone else at the soup or cold bars...

I didn't know they bad the wing bar, it looks good from the pic. Frankly, I think it's been about a decade since I was last in a Winn Dixie.

My brother likes those wings. However, I still think the hot 'n' spicy wings at Publix are the best. Nothing compares that I've eaten.

I get them fried fresh and all flappers. Eat them in my truck in the parking lot, lol.

The Winn-Dixie wing bar is the way to go if you want some variety. Publix wings are good no doubt, but you either get hot n spicy or basically fried chicken. Winn-Dixie has some good chicken tenders too......Don't sleep on the beef people and their poultry

Diversity has nothing to do with it. I simply choose to voluntarily avoid food bars like that when I've personally witnessed unhygienic practices on multiple occasions. My local WD is by the Miami hospital district whose patrons include everyone from the homeless/indigent to healthcare professionals who seeming would display some increased level of hygiene. Doesn't matter where or whom, my choice will always be to pass and find another option.

I'll have the wings, with a side of dysentery.......

I have a nice Winn Dixie and Publix next door to each other 1/4 mile from my house. I like both for different things. Winn Dixie has great specials. They just had $1 a pound for bone in chicken breasts they cut in the store. I had the butcher that I have got to know to do me 30 big fat breasts for less than $50, what a deal. Love their liquor store also. Publix deli is very ggod, WD not so much.

Reactions: goldmom
Winn Dixie is a failing brand. the ones in jax and the keys are OK, maybe Gainesville had good ones because they are close to jax. but the rest of them are pretty nasty. they closed most of their store in Georgia about 10 years ago.

I have a nice Winn Dixie and Publix next door to each other 1/4 mile from my house. I like both for different things. Winn Dixie has great specials. They just had $1 a pound for bone in chicken breasts they cut in the store. I had the butcher that I have got to know to do me 30 big fat breasts for less than $50, what a deal. Love their liquor store also. Publix deli is very ggod, WD not so much.

WD's sale and ad pricing is usually 5-10% cheaper than Publix but Publix is usually cheaper on their every day retail pricing than WD. I used to work for BI-LO/WD in corporate finance and we saw research data from 3rd parties about that all the time.

We buy most of our beef, chicken and pork from WD. To be honest, I don't think Publix is as good on quality with beef or pork but that's just me. Since my wife is pregnant, we aren't really buying any booze these days but we always bought most of it at WD. Fuelperks on wine and liquor are usually a lot higher than general merch and their wine selection beats the pants off Publix.

Diversity has nothing to do with it. I simply choose to voluntarily avoid food bars like that when I've personally witnessed unhygienic practices on multiple occasions. My local WD is by the Miami hospital district whose patrons include everyone from the homeless/indigent to healthcare professionals who seeming would display some increased level of hygiene. Doesn't matter where or whom, my choice will always be to pass and find another option.

You need to move bro. I wouldn't even eat if I lived in the Miami hospital district...

Reactions: RTM58
For most things I buy, the prices at Winn Dixie are stunningly high. Before they bought out Sweetbay, I had the two competing stores directly across the street from one another (about a mile from my house). Prices on most things were consistently a minimum of 15% higher, and on many things it was far worse. WD's regular price on a large pack of chicken thighs was almost twice as high as Sweetbay's regular price; difference was so great WD's sale price was still 20 cents per pound higher than SB's regular price ($1.79 vs. $1.59), and once a month SB would put them on sale for 99 cents per pound. Now the Sweetbay's closed, but there is a Savalot nearby & I typically buy most basic stuff in there. The Savalot prices are great, but the selection & variety is limited.

There's a Publix under construction about 1/2 mile from the WD; I greatly look forward to its' opening.

Buying booze at a grocery store--man, miss that. my county doesn't allow liquor stores, so you can only buy beer and wine (wine was allowed about 7 years ago). big pain

For most things I buy, the prices at Winn Dixie are stunningly high. Before they bought out Sweetbay, I had the two competing stores directly across the street from one another (about a mile from my house). Prices on most things were consistently a minimum of 15% higher, and on many things it was far worse. WD's regular price on a large pack of chicken thighs was almost twice as high as Sweetbay's regular price; difference was so great WD's sale price was still 20 cents per pound higher than SB's regular price ($1.79 vs. $1.59), and once a month SB would put them on sale for 99 cents per pound. Now the Sweetbay's closed, but there is a Savalot nearby & I typically buy most basic stuff in there. The Savalot prices are great, but the selection & variety is limited.

There's a Publix under construction about 1/2 mile from the WD; I greatly look forward to its' opening.

I buy a lot of stuff at Save A Lot. Bacon, Butter, some meats, some dry goods and occasionally produce if it looks good...

I've gotten to like Savealot & will continue to go there. Another awesome "sale" example from this past Sunday. Savealot had babyback on sale, so I picked up a few packs. Don't remember the price per pound, but the price was around $6.50 to $7 per pack. Ended up in WD the next day; they also had babybacks on sale - same brand, same size (a full rack). WD sale price ranged from $13 to almost $15.

Unbelievable to me that people willingly do their basic shopping at that place. I go there ONLY for certain brand items that they don't have at Savealot.

Oh, I know I'll hear usual crap about the fuel perks. Yippee, you can fill your tank for 30 cents a gallon less. Saving that five bucks only costs you about $150 in higher food prices.

I've gotten to like Savealot & will continue to go there. Another awesome "sale" example from this past Sunday. Savealot had babyback on sale, so I picked up a few packs. Don't remember the price per pound, but the price was around $6.50 to $7 per pack. Ended up in WD the next day; they also had babybacks on sale - same brand, same size (a full rack). WD sale price ranged from $13 to almost $15.

Unbelievable to me that people willingly do their basic shopping at that place. I go there ONLY for certain brand items that they don't have at Savealot.

Oh, I know I'll hear usual crap about the fuel perks. Yippee, you can fill your tank for 30 cents a gallon less. Saving that five bucks only costs you about $150 in higher food prices.

Werd. Couple weeks ago they had bacon, good bacon too - Sugardale, for $1.25 a 16oz package. I bought 20 packs of it and should have bought 50. Occasionally you can catch t-bones, porterhouse, Rib eyes or strips on sale for 3.99 - 4.99. I've gotten butter there for $1 a pound. I've seen ribs marked down pretty good but never the regular pork or chicken...

The Savealot stores in Jacksonville are absolutely disgusting. Not sure about other areas of Florida but I can't imagine why anyone would go into one of those.

Reactions: goldmom

Er, I avoid Miami altogether - for the same reason.
The WD wings bar by my house is good. I love the Teriyaki and the BBQ. They also do a Jennie-O turkey "pot roast" that is very good.

I have a WD 5 miles away and a Publix less then a mile away. Although this WD is decent the Publix gets 99% of my $$$. I will say the chicken wing bar at this WD is pretty dang good!

I have started buying rotisserie chickens at BJs or Costco but WD is good in a pinch. Their rotisseries are cheaper and usually bigger than Publix.

SeaPa, Sweetbay's prices were that low for a reason. Their foot traffic stats were lower than most grocery stores and they had to run those kinds of fire sales to generate traffic. The management at Delhaize ran it into in the ground by not keeping a balance between ad pricing and regular retail. They didn't make any money. That's part of the reason they don't exist anymore. The Sweetbay/Harvey's acquisition occurred when I was still with the company and I saw their financials. That chain was broke.

I think WD made a mistake by absorbing them and not keeping the name. Hell, I don't think most people know that Food Lion used to be Sweetbay's sister company. Talk about a grocery chain with image problems.

Last edited:
The Savealot stores in Jacksonville are absolutely disgusting. Not sure about other areas of Florida but I can't imagine why anyone would go into one of those.
Call me what you want but don't call me broke. MONEY!

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT